Start by marking “Other Men's Flowers: An Anthology of Poetry” as Want to Read:
Other Men's Flowers: An Anthology of Poetry

Other Men's Flowers: An Anthology of Poetry

First published in 1944, during the darkest days of the war, Lord Wavell's great anthology of English poetry - enhanced by his own introduction and annotations - encouraged and delighted many thousands of readers.

It has remained in print every since, proving beyond doubt that, whatever the fashion of the day, poetry can fulfil its ancient function, finding its way to the
Published April 9th 1992 by Pimlico (first published December 31st 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Other Men's Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Other Men's Flowers

Start your review of Other Men's Flowers: An Anthology of Poetry
Tim
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children, young adults, anyone who hates poetry
Shelves: poetry
If you have seen 'Dead Poets Society', especially the bit at the end where the other teacher takes over the class, you will know how poetry was taught at my school. On joining the army as an apprentice I had to take mandatory English lessons (that is, grammar and essay writing, not language) and remarked to my instructor that I hated poetry. He lent me his copy of this delightful book and then had to wait about five years before I gave it back to him.

The book is collection of all the poetry
Ruth
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
It's so difficult to award this anthology stars. Many of the poems are not to my taste and yet they are undoubtedly treasures of the English language. I therefore bestow it with either 3 stars or 5 stars; I'm not sure which. https://icannever.wordpress.com/2015/...
Conrad Kinch
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
A mature, considered and well loved collection. Well worth a look.
Lindsay Erwin
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of poetry of all kinds collected by Lord Wavell, Viceroy of India. It's in sections like - Music, Mystery and Magic, Good Fighting (appropriate for a soldier), Love & all that ( very English restrained chap stuff!) etc. There are a lot of annotations too, which are enlightening. Lepanto, by Chesterton is about the last naval battle fought mainly by galleys, but Wavell explains the context and also details such as Cervantes, author of Don Quixote settling his sword ...more
Jessica
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The one and only book of poetry that I truly adore.

I love that Wavell's mind works like mine: capturing snippets here and there. I love that he published them, and I love that so many of them have become my favorites. I recited them during high school PE to entertain myself while running. Fifteen years later, I still know them by heart. :)

I won't say that I agree with all of the views expressed in the poems, but I can say that they're all quotable, and many are simply beautiful.
Stephen
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies, poetry
My wife and I were given this medium-sized book of faves as a wedding present 48 years ago. Our copy was long since lost (probably loaned out), but I remember the volume because every poem in it had been committed to memory by the compiler, a distinguished military man. The introduction said, I think, that he memorized a poem a day. I can't tell you for sure a single work that was in it, yet know there were a lot of really good ones, literally memor[iz]able. Wait! I bet a tenner that Invictus ...more
Tom
Jul 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I re-read this charming collection, in smatterings, again. It is a marvellous trove of excellent poetry, the old solid reliable conjuring with words.

It has those essential indices for a good collection - both of authors and of first lines, so you can find who exactly 'must go down to the sea again'.

This is especially recommended for anyone who likes to dip into a bid of poetry without necessarily knowing you want to read Burns, or Browning, or Belloc.
Erik

• How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • Corduroy
  • A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World
  • The Lager Queen of Minnesota
  • The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • Sting-Ray Afternoons
  • Alif the Unseen
  • Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5)
  • Nothing Less Than Victory: The Oral History of D-Day
Field Marshal Archibald Percival Wavell, 1st Earl Wavell was a senior officer of the British Army. He served in the Second Boer War, the Bazar Valley Campaign and the Great War, during which he was wounded in the Second Battle of Ypres. He served in the Second World War, initially as Commander-in-Chief Middle East, in which role he led British forces to victory over the Italians in western Egypt ...more