Start by marking “Drawing: A Contemporary Approach” as Want to Read:
Drawing: A Contemporary Approach

Drawing: A Contemporary Approach

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Going beyond conventional approaches, this drawing text emphasizes the emotional, intellectual, and spiritual significance of art. The authors trace the development of today's art from that of the past, giving a sense of meaning and continuity. Illustrations and analyses enable students to turn their energies to new and different directions, to give material form to their ...more
Published December 23rd 1996 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing

Ingrid
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that I learned to draw out of and it has many pros and cons. It contains a lot of good images from the past hundred years in its chapters on gesture, shape/plane and volume, value, line, texture, color, thematic development, etc. It also covers why contemporary art is important and worth our time. This book is for higher learning/secondary students and goes more into the philosophy of these chapter headings instead of a step-by-step process of creation. I would have liked someth ...more
Sue
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
An interesting look at drawing that goes beyond the conventional. Sketchbook projects at the end of each chapter reinforce the concepts taught and allow for further exploration and practice by the reader/student. A great textbook to have on your bookshelf.
Nancy
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is useful in not only art instruction, but in understanding how great art was created by showing and explaining examples of work from some of the masters such as Picasso, Rembrandt, Klee, Matisse, Pollock, Wyeth, O’Keefe and so on. . .
mali
May 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
I come back to this book over and over. I was lucky enough to once find a reasonably priced used copy online. If it hasn't gone through another printing by now, I suggest you grab it if you can!
Nora
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspired me to start drawing again.
Deon Mixon
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely resourceful and easy to read. Every drawing class needs this as a guide. I think we'd be less efficient artists without it.
Ruth
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: budding artists
Shelves: art
One of the better drawing textbooks.
Jamie
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, non-fiction
Great teaching aid.
Carol
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This is another art textbook from art school. I have it marked up but haven't looked at it since then. These books would certainly be an inspiration to draw again.
Andrea