Start by marking “Once a Scoundrel” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Once a Scoundrel

Candice Hern

Once a Scoundrel (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet #2)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When Anthony Morehouse wins "The Ladies' Fashionable" in a card game, he thinks it's piece of furniture. But he soon learns that it is actually a women's magazine. He plans to sell it to the editor, but when he sees the beautiful Edwina Parrish behind the desk, he changes his mind. Edwina was his childhood Nemesis, besting him in many competitions and winning from him a fa ...more
Hardcover
Published August 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published July 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Once a Scoundrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once a Scoundrel

Antonia
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what I call a bathtub book. It is a book that is enjoyable enough to read for an hour in the tub and can be put down until the next bath. It is also predictable enough you can put the book down for a few days and pick it up without losing place. What is important is the characters.

In this case Edwina is beautiful (of course), intelligent, and politically minded. She has her flaws (not just superficial ones) which make her more appealing. As an example, she jumps to conclusions and is of
Elisa Vangelisti
Non ho terminato l’estratto perché ho capito che non mi interessa leggerlo. La coppia protagonista manca di carisma e la trama procede in modo un po’ fiacco.
Fangirl Musings
Feb 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one- I hated the writing style
Recommended to Fangirl Musings by: Impulse buy
Pages Survived: 35

Characters are very important to me, and feeling as though they are real people is essentially vital for any book to be good. From the first page, I felt as if Hern's style of writing hindered the ability for a character to seem larger than mere words on a page. This is a BIG pet peeve of mine in any book, but most especially romance.

Although, ironically, I am capable of being lenient with an author, and continue to read their story rather than just tossing it aside based on t
Cherie
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
This is my third time reading this story. Candice Hern writes classic romance. Her hero and heroine are real, not perfect. Anthony and Edwina knew each other in childhood when she had visited her grandfather in the summer. They were competitive with each other both wanting to impress the other. They are now adults but the competitive nature remains between them. This book illustrates the partnership between forgiveness and love. The two do not exist without each other.

I am envious of Edwina. She
Lynne Tull
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
I read the second book last...I am glad I did! (Saved the best for last.) Ms. Hern got it right with this book. The H/H were a good match and their story was captivating without too much angst and anger. There was a lot of lust thrown in and I found myself skipping over them to get back to the story. They really didn't lend anything to it; other than, readers expect it when they read a 'Romance' novel. I don't have to reread the last one 'Once a Gentleman'. I remembered it from bits and pieces f ...more
Laine
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it started with a wager between anthony and edwina that if edwina gets to increase the subscription the magazine is hers. the story is quite entertaining and yet predictable because of their wager. but then it was nice that in the end edwina finally gave in to what her heart really says that she is in love with anthony and vice versa.
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Candice Hern is alway a sneaker-like for me. I forget how enjoyable her books are until I read one and then I think "why don't I read more of her." Morehouse was a good hero and I liked the capable heroine, who is very susceptible to bets.
Heather Houston
I thought this book was just alright. I thought it was somewhat slow to start, but it did get better around the 200s. This is definitely NOT book that you will have a problem putting down once you start!
Cary
Feb 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute but predictable. Hate each other -attracted to each other - like each other - disagreement over some issue - love surmounts all!
Nonice
May 27, 2016
Aerulan
Dec 22, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Romantic (Seducers #5)
  • The Sugar Rose
  • The Stolen Princess (Devil Riders, #1)
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Daring the Duke (Lords of Intrigue, #2)
  • Wicked All Day (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #5)
  • An Improper Aristocrat
  • Impetuous Innocent (Regencies #3)
  • One Night of Passion (Danvers, # 1)
  • Not Quite A Gentleman (Regency #3)
  • Lucky Charms
  • The Saxon's Daughter
  • The Dangerous Mr. Ryder (Scandalous Ravenhursts, #1)
  • Hands on Training
  • Rules of Passion (Greentree Sisters, #2)
  • A Counterfeit Betrothal (Waite, #2)
  • Double Dare (Naughty Games, #3)
  • Beyond Compare (The Mad Morelands, #2)
190696
Candice Hern is the award-winning, bestselling author of historical romance novels set during the English Regency period. Her books have won praise for the "intelligence and elegant romantic sensibility" (Romantic Times) as well as "delicious wit and luscious sensuality (Booklist). Candice's award-winning website (www.candicehern.com) is often cited for its Regency World pages, where readers inter ...more
More about Candice Hern...

Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet (3 books)
  • Once a Dreamer (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #1)
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)