Start by marking “Faun & Games (Xanth #21)” as Want to Read:
Faun & Games (Xanth #21)

Faun & Games

(Xanth #21)

The miraculous and mirth-filled land of Xanth holds many marvels. But now an extraordinary new aspect of this remarkable realm unfolds as young Forrest Faun’s quest takes him to a tiny planet hidden in the heart of Xanth. There, with a delightful “day mare” as his constant companion, Forrest will find more marvels then he ever dreamed of.
Published October 15th 1997 by Tor Fantasy (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Faun & Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faun & Games

Start your review of Faun & Games (Xanth #21)
Leeanna
Oct 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: purge
Xanth #21: Faun & Games, by Piers Anthony

When Branch Faun is lost to the Void, his friend Forrest embarks on a quest to find a replacement before Branch's tree dies. Like all Xanth protagonists, he goes to visit Good Magician Humfrey with his Question, and his resulting adventure sends him to the world of Ptero.

Forrest is paired with Imbri, a nightmare who used to deliver bad dreams but then got a soul and became a daydream delivering mare. The two travel to Ptero, which is a mo
Christine
Dec 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
Angela
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Faun & Games is the twenty-first book in the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. We follow Forrest Faun on a quest that will send him to the tiny planet at the heart of Xanth. Along with his constant companion, Day Mare, they embark on a mind boggling adventure. And so begins this epic fantasy with some sci-fi thrown in for fun.
The Xanth Series is quite a really long series that has spanned many decades. I remember reading the first few books back in the very early 1980’s
Sarah J
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Xanth is a fantasy novel that is based almost entirely on wordplay, specifically puns. The series occupies a strange space between silly and weird. Anthony has some odd opinions on themes, such as sex, racism, prejudice, growing up, and the use of magic in everyday life. The writing vacillates between heavy-handed condescending to extended analysis of magic, science, and the application of the rules of Xanth. Some love it, some hate it; I personally thought it was a strange read but harmless, al ...more
Lance Sherrill
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, so, this is by far one of the strangest Xanth novels if not the strangest Anthony novel I've ever read (even more so than Bearing an Hour Glass :p). As much as I enjoyed this novel it was SO VERY WEIRD! They just kept going deeper! It was almost like reading a foray into the item world from Disgaea...only WAAAAY more interesting and MUCH less insane.
Katy
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was a fun and quick read, but rather redundant throughout. I usually enjoy his books but I was tempted to skip parts in this one due to the same over and over.
Elisa Kay
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book which took us on an adventure unlike any before. I did start to wonder when we would get to where we needed to be.
Elizabeth
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers, adults young at heart
c1997

A Tor Book
Published by Tom Doherty Associates,Inc

I bought this book on vacation. It is like new with a perfect dust jacket. I plan to gift it to the library.

IMHO this is wonderfull satire about sexual and courtship behavior, and about attitudes about proper sexual beliefs.

p109
"We'll just have to establish that Imbri is an adult human female, and then have her remove her clothing."
"But that would be improper,"Imbri protested. "a human wo
Don LaFountaine
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
This is Book 21 of the Xanth Series. It follows Forest Faun, who is on a journey to find another faun to take over a clog tree that is next to him. He does what most people do when they need an answer, and seeks out Good Magician Humphrey. He does not get his answer immediately, but is directed to Princess Ida at Castle Roogna. With the Day Mare Imbri as his guide, they go on to explore the world of Ptero, which is the moon that is circling the Princess' head, in search for a faun to take over t ...more
Kirsti
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Faun and Games is the real introduction to Ida's moons, and I have to admit, I much prefer reading about Xanth proper than this might be. should have been, could have been and will be characters and places. It kind of turns into a muddled mess in my head, but I still love Xanth books, and Forrest is a great new character, and Imbri has always been one of my favorites.

Xanth is of course, full of puns, and that is one of the reasons I love the story so much. There are loads of puns in
Jeremiah Johnson
Sep 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was a huge step back in the development of Xanth in my opinion. The outcome of the story was blatantly obvious from the get go, which made the entire story seem pointless.
I also really didn't like the idea of Ida's moons. Geography being time I could have handled if that was it. But add to that the idea of people that actually exist being there for no reason other that to confuse the reader. Also the gaining/losing of mass or falling in love when a favor is done. These ideas seemed li
Kristen Coffin
"It will be alright. It always is."

description

One of my favorite Xanth magical talents (Princess Ida's moons) plays a huge role here. I love that we're expanding the Xanth universe, without having to leave Xanth (well, not really, anyway). I love Forrest Faun: a usually raunchy creature, but here perceived with a brain, with a conscious, and with heart.

Besides that, it
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy readers, ya
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Piers Anthony
Miracles, marvels, mirth and magic! Much more and puns galore can always be found in the magic filled tomes of Piers Anthony's Xanth novels, and this the 21st installment is no exception.
An extraordinary new aspect of Xanth, the most remarkable realm, unfolds as young Forrest Faun's adventure takes him to a tiny pyramidal planet hidden in the heart of Xanth. With the delightful day mare, Imbri, and Dawn and Eve Human, Forrest will find more wonders and puns enough for all. Always a fantasy
Theresa
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this book, we follow Forrest Faun through an adventure that starts out with him trying to find a new protector for his friend's tree. This is after a pain of a demoness gets him started on it. I personally love the Xanth series in general and will most likely be biased towards all of these books. They are fictional romance novels when you really think of it, but not so romantic as to give the gagging reflex.
Grant
Aug 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
I know that Piers Anthony has a rather large following of readers, but with this book as my first exposure, I can honestly say I am not impressed. Everything from the jokes to the situations is cliche. At best, the read is boring. At worst, it is a mockery of the human imagination.

I will probably not be returning and Anthony or his Xanth worlds again.
Hillary
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I remember being 17 and devouring this entire series. I loved it so much. I can't remember everything from it now because it's been a long time. I do remember the constant puns and the feeling like I was a part of all of the Xanth books. It's hard to explain but it catapulted me into a world that took me away from everything I was hating at the time. I have to reread this series again.
Jacqueline
Aug 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a mediocre continuation of the Xanth series. The creation of new worlds added a bit of interest, but the plot was predictable with the climax being particularly anti-climatic. I do find the Xanth books best read in order without skipping though so if you are reading the series, I recommend continuing on with this one.
Debra Meyer
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well it was different a bit strange with all the sexual innuendo's almost made me wonder if the author wasn't getting it and taking it out in book form LOL but another one that made me wonder if he wrote it or someone else. It was just a very strange book good but strange.
Velvetea
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, humor
Thanks to a 12th birthday present from my dear sister back in the day, this was the first book of Piers that I read, and consequently for a long time he was my absolute favorite author. The constant puns are hilarious and I dig his quirky world. Cheers for Piers!
Benjamin Thomas
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-comedic
I enjoyed the premise of the book, as I almost always do with Piers Anthony's Xanth books. But there are just getting to be too many puns. The obvious plot devices (like the comic strip) that serve as simply a way to work in all of the puns that the fans send in, is just too much.
Lin Clark
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a very hard read but I did enjoy the end .
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, fantasy, humor, xanth
Again, if you love fantasy and puns, try the Xanth series. They are awesome
Kyra Dunst
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. The princesses Eve and Dawn are among my favorites in this series.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
not everything is not fun and games, this Xanth story looks at the individual
Brianne
This Xanth branches into a new wing of the already complicated world. A mind boggling read. Delightfully predicable.
Frank
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it
This is the 21st book in the Xanth series. I read the the first 20, (sad I know), might as well keep going.
Authors live for people like me.
Paige
Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantastical
Very entertaining author. PLENTY too much innuendo.
Marc
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: xanth, fantasy
very abstract and surreal. good luck keeping up.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Not one of my favorites, no reason really.
Jason Thompson
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the very first of the series that I read, I didn't know that it was gonna be so amazing. I now own every single Xanth book to date

• The Hidden King (The Coming of Áed, #1)
  • History of William the Conqueror (Makers of History, #6)
  • Lucky Girl: A Memoir
  • Brother Cadfael's Penance  (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #20)
  • Operation Swallow: American Soldiers' Remarkable Escape from Berga Concentration Camp
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • The Holy Thief (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #19)
  • The Summer of the Danes (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #18)
  • The Potter's Field (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #17)
  • Identity Thief (This Can't Be Happening collection)
  • Sidonia the Sorceress, Volume I of II by Wilhelm Meinhold, Fiction, Literary, Fairy Tales, Folk Tales, Legends & Mythology
  • Crusaders: The Epic History of the Wars for the Holy Lands
  • The Dreaming City
  • The Heretic's Apprentice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #16)
  • The Confession of Brother Haluin (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #15)
  • The Baker Chocolate Company: A Sweet History
  • Arthurian Romances
  • William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #6)

Piers is a self-proclai

Xanth (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye: A Caustic Yarn (Xanth #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth #10)