Start by marking “You Can't Taste a Pickle With Your Ear: A Book About Your 5 Senses” as Want to Read:
You Can't Taste a Pickle With Your Ear: A Book About Your 5 Senses

You Can't Taste a Pickle With Your Ear: A Book About Your 5 Senses

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Explores how each of the five senses is hard at work all day long providing information, warning of danger, and helping us enjoy the world around us.
Published July 13th 2006 by Blue Apple Books (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about You Can't Taste a Pickle With Your Ear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can't Taste a Pickle With Your Ear

Elli Kyprianou
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Title & Author: You Can’t Taste a Pickle with Your Ear by Harriet Ziefert

1. Awards the book has received: none

2. Appropriate Grade Level(s): K-3rd

3. Summary: This book goes into detail in a fun and creative way to teach children about the five senses. It discusses the importance of all of the senses and what we use them for. It also includes cute and short poems about each of the five senses.

4. Review: Such a fun book. Love the fact that it is extremely interactive and also includes poems re
SaraKat
This book didn't have a lot of fact, but was an entertaining read due to the rhyming parts. Each sense had a chapter that began with text about the sense, then had some pages of little rhymes about the sense, and ended with some questions to inspire the reader to think about the things they've sensed. This is an introductory text for younger readers.
Farah
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Berbeda dengan buku yang gue baca sebelumnya, buku ini lebih sedikit jumlah kata-katanya. Banyak gambar dan ilustrasinya, malahan ada banyak rhymesnya segala.

Duh kebayang deh kalo bacain buku ini sama anak sendiri.
Pas baca chapter satu tentang indera penciuman, gue akan bacain,
"What is your favorite food smell?"
Anak gue, ceritanya bisa ngomong bahasa Inggris: I like stowbewwy, Mommy. You?
Gue: Um, banana.
Anak gue: I like it too. Okay read again. *semacam agak demanding. kayak emaknya*
Gue: What
Anna Korroch
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Personal response
I thought that this book came up with a very creative way to teach children about the five senses. It does a good job at explaining why all of the senses are important and when they use them in everyday life. I like that the book is funny and light hearted, but also very informative and explains things in a way that would make sense to children. The bright colors and scattered pictures help to demonstrate the senses and how children use them.

Purpose
This would be a great read al
Alyssa
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got a kick out of this book and the five year old that I read it to enjoyed it as well. First, the title is just hilarious all by itself, of course you can't taste a pickle with your ear, but wouldn't it be funny to try! I would keep this book in the classroom library so that children could look at it or read it when we learn about the senses. The book provides questions that prompt children to really think about and explore their surroundings using their senses. In the book are simplistic dia ...more
Hayley
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 7-informational
Author: Harriet Ziefert
Illustrator: Amanda Haley
Genre: Instructional
Grade Level: 2.8
Lexile: N/A

Summary: This is a great introduction to children’s five senses. This book combines important information with humorous statements. It explains what you use your five senses for and which ones you need for certain things. This is a really great read aloud option for your class. It is a great resource to have when teaching about the 5 sense.
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun book. Teaches about the senses, and after learning about each sense, there are some silly rhymes. There are also questions to ask the child, so it can be interactive.The only thing that didn't work well was that even though this was a picture book, it had a chapter for each sense and was a bit long. My nephew in Kindergarten didn't want to sit long enough to get through the whole book.
Katherine
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a funny and informational book one could read to children about their five senses. Many connections can be made throughout this book since it mentions many experiences people go through everyday. There is also rhyming throughout which could be incorporated into lessons.
Dolores
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edw-arc, azr
Another winner from Ziefert. The facts are presented in an interesting and understandable way, with just enough silliness to make learning fun. The illustrations are just right. Kids will love it. I love the questions/activities at the end of each section.
Karen
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I was looking for a neuroscience book. This is not it. It only talks about the brain once.
Leah
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
About the 5 senses.
Kristina
Good for science Story Time - don't read word for word, just talk about senses and read the rhyming parts aloud.
Jodie
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Readers will learn about the 5 senses. Questions for the reader to work on understanding and using the senses.
Emilee
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This might be a better read for one on one. I felt like it was too busy for my class of 3-K.
Lauren
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Great way to teach the five senses with unique but everyday type scenarios.
Michelle
Jun 08, 2017
Simone Oliveira
Aug 30, 2016
Angelina
rated it did not like it
Mar 15, 2018
Jul 15, 2013
Hourig
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr