Start by marking “Wonder Woman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told

Wonder Woman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told (The Greatest Stories Ever Told)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
From her beginnings in the early 1940s to today's epics, these are the stories that made Wonder Woman a comic book legend. Included in this anthology are Wonder Woman's origin story, plus her epic battles with the Cheetah, Dr Psycho and others.
Published April 7th 2007 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman

May 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
This collection makes clear a sad truth: when you boil it down, not that many great stories have actually been told about Wonder Woman.

Now for a few caveats. Yes, there are plenty of good Wonder Woman stories, but it's hard to name very many great ones. Also, some of the best Wonder Woman stories are larger arcs that take place over a number of issues and thus would not fit well in a collection such as this one. And it seems that many of the best WW stories don't even appear in her own book, bu
Jan 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
From an historical perspective, this is interesting considering it spans several decades of wonder woman's career. Now, reading it with 21st century sensibilities is a bit tougher. The sexism is pretty rampant throughout but most noticeable between the stories from the 50s to the 80s. Be it Steve Trevor trying to trick WW into marrying him, Denny O'Neil's now infamous run of a dejected WW who loves to shop, or a cop story from the early 80s where half the story is the narrator fawning over wonde ...more
Benjamin Featherston
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
In theory, the "Greatest Stories Ever Told" collections are supposed to compile the best single issues in each hero's history. In practice, the best stories tend to be multi-part arcs and graphic novels, leaving editors sifting through back issues for standalone stories that reflect each era.

If you have a healthy sense of the absurd, the early stories are delightful. "Villainy Incorporated" sees Wonder Woman's most deadly female rivals team up with an army of Saturnian aliens to conquer Paradis
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Out of the "holy trinity" of DC Comics characters, Wonder Woman is the character I have the least experience with. Batman is my favorite superhero of all time, and I used to enjoy Superman. But Wonder Woman always escaped my purview. Sadly, this collection of her "greatest stories ever told" does little to entice me into reading more of her adventures.

For a supposedly feminist character, at least originally, the early issues still oddly have Diana falling prey to stereotypical feminine personali
Adam Graham
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is supposed to be made up of some of the Greatest story in the history of Wonder Woman from 1942-2001.

The book begins with two stories from the original run by Creator William Moulton Marston in the 1940s. The origin story is skipped for the more entertaining "Wonder Woman Comes to America" which has a great light sense of fun to it as Wonder Woman encounters crooks and establishes her secret identity. Second, we find Wonder Woman up against a team of supervillains when her attempt to
Jul 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of old comics, people new to Wonder Woman
Recommended to Samdenney by: -
Shelves: comics
Like the Batman version I read a while back, this is a collection of Wonder Woman stories that span her entire history. Looking back at my review of the Caped Crusader's Greatest Stories, it seems like I was overly harsh on bad art and poor writing from the '40s and '50s. I was holding them up to a higher standard than was reasonable instead of just enjoying them as products of their own time. Having read some more old comics, I feel like I can now appreciate the fun aspects of Wonder Woman's ch ...more
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
Honestly, I struggled slightly with this collection. It started with a 2 page spread for her origin story, which was disappointing plus it didn't shed any more light on it then I already knew. Then the first comic provided some laughs with how ridiculous it was. But as I moved I became bored. The stories were uninteresting and the Wonder Woman being presented was not how I imagined from my basic gleamed knowledge. Then I hit the final tale and suffering through those dodgy stories has become wor ...more
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wonder Woman has merit as a character, but there's no examples of 'why' in this comic, really.

That said, the early Marston stuff has genuine curiosity value, relentless stories about the importance of submission, with inky, odd artwork.

The final story, by the reliable Phil Jiminez, is the most readable, however, despite having reams of text which render the nice art incredibly off-putting, as does the awful modern computer colouring. It tries to get across the fact that wonder woman actually do
May 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is just a weird collection of comics. It goes from the 1940s to 2001, and I find it really hard to believe that these are the "greatest" stories in a whole 60 years. The very first issue is entertaining in a campy, 1940s kind of way. And the last one, from 2001, is the only one that I really see as being the true Wonder Woman of today. Everything in between is pure dribble.

It's mostly crappy art, weird story lines that meander around, and strange villains (Gorilla girl). Don't get me starte
Austin Gullett
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting look into the history of the greatest DC superhero! My only complaint is that the selected issues seem to have little to do with one another? They provide an excellent timeline as to how Wonder Woman has changed throughout the years, but thematically speaking they seem to have been chosen somewhat haphazardly. Anyway, an excellent read for anyone looking to learn more about Wonder Woman, DC comics, or the history of American comics in general. I would recommend this to history tea ...more
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
3 1/2

A collection of ten Wonder Woman stories spanning her first sixty years. There's also a two-page snippet explaining her origin and an Introduction by Lynda Carter.

It works better as a historical overview than as a 'best of' collection. Seeing the changes over the years is fascinating. Robert Kanigher is overrepresented, with four of the ten. Two of his efforts could have been replaced and this would have been a stronger collection, both in variety and quality.

The stand-outs are 1942's "Won
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Saw that book at the library and could not resist revisiting my childhood hero. However, it's not exactly the greatest stories ever told, but the greatest story by era, I think. And the oldest stories are, well, childish and a bit ridiculous. But even in my younger years, I didn't like those.
I am glad I read it to the end because the older stories were much more interesting. Maybe I will try to catch up on what happened to Wonder Woman between the time I was an avid fan and now.
AJ Conroy
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Really disappointing. I was hoping this would be a good starting place for Wonder Woman after reading Trinity, but the selection was odd. I liked reading the first and the last stories, but the ones in between were kinda boring. Is WW only interesting as a supporting character in the Justice League? Or maybe I'm only reacting to the sexism.
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Wow - early Wonder Woman was even more sexist than I expected. Still, she was ahead of her time all the same. The last story is my favorite in the volume, and one of my favorite Wonder Woman stories in general.
Candace Perry
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure what it was, but I really enjoyed this one in comparison to the other compilations I've read. I still don't like what they did with Steve Trevor post-Crisis, I love their mutually saving the day dynamic they had pre-Crisis. But whatever, that's not exactly new! Very fun overall.
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I skipped the last story, and the second to last one wasn't very good, either. Too much drugs and violence... too REALISTIC. I much prefer the kookiness of the earlier stories. The further the years progressed, the less fun the comics became.
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it
Was so excited to see Wonder Woman as she has evolved. But I guess I haven't read enough stand alones to judge if these truly are "greats". Most were good, but a couple were lacking big time and I'm sure there are better out there.
Dawn Betts-Green (Dinosaur in the Library)
May 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Yes, I enjoyed a handful of these narratives, mostly the final comic, but in all these are a pretty good representation of WW across the years. This is very interesting.
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
The title of this is very misleading. Not sure these stories are really "the greatest." I do enjoy the Alex Ross cover, though.
Mar 30, 2013
  • Wonder Woman: Down to Earth
  • Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Ends of the Earth
  • Wonder Woman: Odyssey, Vol. 2
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Wonder Woman: The Ultimate Guide to The Amazon Princess
  • Wonder Woman: Second Genesis
  • Angel & Faith: A Little More Than Kin (Season 10, #4)
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Found
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: Beauty and the Beasts
  • The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath: A Graphic Novel
  • Conan, Vol. 14: The Death
  • Revival Deluxe Collection Volume 1
  • Coffin Hill Vol. 2: Dark Endeavors
  • Amelia Cole and the Unknown World
Dr. William Moulton Marston (May 9, 1893 – May 2, 1947), also known by the pen names Charles Moulton and William Marston, was an American psychologist, feminist theorist, inventor, and comic book writer who created the character Wonder Woman. Two women, his wife Elizabeth Holloway Marston and Olive Byrne (who lived with the couple in a polyamorous relationship), served as exemplars for the charact ...more
More about William Moulton Marston...

The Greatest Stories Ever Told (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told vol. 01
  • Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told: Catwoman and the Penguin
  • Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told
  • Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told, Vol. 2
  • The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
  • The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told (Batman)
  • The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told