Start by marking “Wonder Woman: The Complete History” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman: The Complete History

Wonder Woman: The Complete History (Wonder Woman)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  302 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The super-powered trilogy that captured the world's greatest superhero triumvirate of all time is now available in paperback. Relive the adventures of Krypton's favorite son inside and outside the comic book world in Superman: The Complete History. Uncover the Caped Crusader's mysterious real-world origin and his evolution into a hugely successful TV and movie franchise in ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Chronicle Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman

Valentine
Oct 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wonder Woman fans
Firstly, I absolutely disagree with the previous reviewer, particularly since this was not quite a biography of William Moulton Marston, but rather a look at the "life" of his creation, the nearly seventy-year old Wonder Woman.

I read this book during a particular bad period of my life when I was holed up in bed with a bad back injury, so this book has a LOT of meaning for me.

Wonder Woman is an ICON. She is one of the most recognized characters worldwide since she has been around since the earl
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Jill Lepore's The Secret History of Wonder Woman got a lot of buzz lately, but it's important to note that Les Daniels's Wonder Woman: The Complete History did it first (2000) and arguably better. Instead of focusing on the man behind the woman, as Lepore does, Daniels keeps Princess Diana and her story front and center, tracing the development of the character through the decades. Graphic design superstar Chip Kidd handled the art direction for this volume, which means it's gorgeous as well as ...more
Shannon Willow
Jan 11, 2010 marked it as to-read
"The Complete History" is, perhaps, a bit of a misnomer. The book was engaging and informative, but somewhat limited in scope. It largely covered Wonder Woman as a pop-culture and political figure in our world, and talked only passingly about each of Princess Diana's incarnations.

I got a lot out of this book, in terms of learning about her creator, William Moulton Marston, what his aims were, and how each writer/editor that came after him tried to either live up to Marston or avoid all associat
Courtney
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People fond of bondage, comics, utopianism, and deception or the revelation thereof.
Yup, the creator of W.W. was into bondage. He had two wives (simultaneously...and they liked each other and all lived together). He invented the lie detector. He was a professor of psychology at Harvard (among other things). He believed (really) that women should rule the world. He created Wonder Woman to further his philosophical ideals on this last point.

This book is fascinating. No one who comes in my houe and picks it up can put it down.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book to see the evolution of Wonder Woman throughout the years.
Wayland Smith
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm a hero geek, so of course I read this. It's a good history of the development and early years of the character. Most of the focus is on behind the scenes kind of things, like the unusual lifestyle of Diana's creator.

I did learn some things, and think Mr. Daniels covered the topic well. He did a good job with his similar books on Batman and Superman as well. If you're interested in comic books, their history, or, of course, Wonder Woman, I recommend the book. It's just over 200 pages, but mu
Melissa Rininger
The life and times of Wonder Woman is compacted into this collection of iconic history by Les Daniels and filled with alluring artwork that sweeps the reader’s eyes from one page to the next with fierce excitement and curiosity. I am not sure if this is my favorite Wonder Woman book because Lynda Carter penned an introductory letter expressing what Wonder Woman means to her and then inviting the reader to enter the world of Wonder Woman as presented by Daniels, or is this my favorite Wonder Woma ...more
Denise Spicer
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though filed under GN (graphic novel), this book is more a history of the Wonder Woman comic book story than a graphic novel per se. It features many, many pages of reproduction comic book illustrations. The text of this 201 page book also covers the origin of the story, the writers and artists who developed it, and photos of various types of interesting Wonder Woman memorabilia. Has an index.
wildct2003
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Covers many aspects of Wonder Woman in our culture (comics, TV shows, dolls, etc.) Lots of pictures of items from the past 60 years (printed in 2000).
Abigail
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Since watching Wonder Woman this summer I've been a little obsessed with the character. So it's been fun to read about her origins and her writer William Moulton Marston, and how her character changed throughout the years.  I learned a lot about Wonder Woman, and I enjoyed that.

Though this book's title is "The Complete History" this book actually felt more like a brief overview of the character. I feel like it could have been a little longer. I also didn't like the writer very much, his comments
Jeff Raymond
This is sort of a coffee table book-style treatment of the history of Wonder Woman, both as a character and of the people who created her. In some ways, it's great - in others, kind of lacking.

The book is great in the respect that it has a lot of photos of memorabilia, of different Wonder Woman publications and such that probably wouldn't see the light of day unless you were a heavy collector. It also tosses some older comics into the context of the times, which is kind of neat - especially for
Sara
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
The positive: I never read Wonder Woman -- my brother read X-Men and Batman, so that's what I read too -- and this was an intriguing look at her conception and evolution (and devolution) over the years. I had no idea how much her story had been toyed with, or how often she was completely revamped to fit the ideals of her current artists and editors.

The negative: I understand the impulse to point out WW's origin as a not-just-for-feminists icon, really, I do. But the snide comments about feminis
Marsha
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yes, here she is, the original wonder girl in a metal brassiere, lariat in hand. She was invented by a Dr. William Moulton Marston, a guy with a fair amount of scientific genius, genuine exuberance and (to me) an odd desire to see women being tied up.

But he also was a firm believer in female emancipation. In his day he predicted that women would rise to become the more powerful sex, wielding power over men through sexual power. Okay, so his ideas weren’t that advanced but he had something going
Marcus Vinicius Medeiros
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ive been reading Wonder Woman comics since the 80s revamp by George Pérez, when I was 8 years old, and its always good to know more about my favorite super-heroes. This book have some beuatiful illustrations from the glorious past of the heroine, not only comic book pages but also toys, animation, TV series and photos of her writers and artists. The most insightful sections were the ones about the early years of Wonder Woman, the so-called Golden Age of comics in the 40s, which were full of bond ...more
Anna
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, read-twice
This a history of Wonder Woman from the 40's up to the 90's. There are lots of nice "coffee table book" pictures (which is great!), but not as much information as I would have liked. It turns out I read this book back in 2009, but had no recollection of having ever done so. According to my ratings, I enjoyed it less this time around (two stars vs. three). I felt like Les Daniels' Complete History of Superman was an all around stronger book.

Karen Cox
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting study of the origins of the character and her creators. I wish the author had spent more time on the lives of Olive Byrne and Sadie Holloway after Marston's death. Her research is excellent and conclusions interesting, but the book is shorter than it could have been. Still, it's worth reading for fans of the character and for those interested in mid-20th century feminism.
J.
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Les Daniels' books about the "Big 3" at DC Comics should be issued to people--they're THAT good. Of the 3, I like this one the best because there's much more focus on the writers and their aims. Kidd's layout is stunning. An absolute must have for anyone who loves comics history. HIGHLY recommended.
M.L.D.
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow. Who knew that the origins of Wonder Woman were so kinky? I sure didn't, not until I read this. Find out why Wonder Woman was constantly getting tied up, bound, chained, and trussed like a chicken in her early adventures!
Bear
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting history - Marston certainly had a bondage issue going on...hence the handcuffs, er, I mean bracelets and the golden lasso of truth with which to tie people up, er, I mean wrangle the truth out of the bad guys...
Josie
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome compilation that not only tells the story of the creation & history of Wonder Woman, it is full of photographs & comic pages. Large format pages really show off all the visual content. Foreword by Linda Carter <3.

"She's a wonder, Wonder Woman."
Elizabeth
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This is a delightful book, telling the story of Wonder Woman and her creators through text and lots of graphics. I suspect I will perennially pick it up to read a few pages in bed at night, and learn a few more interesting facts each time.
Hank Stuever
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Terrific research, illustrations. There is SO MUCH resting just under the surface of what we all know and appreciate about Wonder Woman. It's a goldmine of symbolism, classics, feminism, sex, psychology, weird behavior, gender -- you name it.
Chriss
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comic book and Wonderwoman fans
An interesting look at the history, views and culture behind the development of everyone's favorite superhero lady. Bondage imagery in early comics? You bet! All kinds of interesting information, as well as some page scans from the original.
Amber
Jun 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
It shows a nice history of wonder women. Awesome pictures!
Jon
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent overview of the history of the character, from her beginnings to the turn of the century. Beautiful book.
Mckinley
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting stuff but oddly written book. Thin on content, lots of pictures and reproduction of comics.
Captain Curmudgeon
There's a good
book out there about the creator of Wonder Woman, William
Moulton Marston, but this isn't it.
Annette McIntyre
rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2011
D.P. Prior
Sep 21, 2014
  • The Supergirls: Fashion, Feminism, Fantasy, and the History of Comic Book Heroines
  • Wonder Woman: The Ultimate Guide to The Amazon Princess
  • From Girls to Grrrlz: A History of Female Comics from Teens to Zines
  • Superman on the Couch: What Superheroes Really Tell Us about Ourselves and Our Society
  • Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book
  • NOT A BOOK: History of the English Language
  • The Soiling of Old Glory: The Story of a Photograph That Shocked America
  • The Devil is in the Details: Examining Matt Murdock and Daredevil
  • Boneyard, Volume 1: In Full Color
  • A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew (Revised Edition)
  • DC Comics Covergirls

Wonder Woman (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • The Wonder Woman Chronicles, Vol. 1