Start by marking “Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead

Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead (Wonder Woman II #15)

Just as Wonder Woman is starting to deal with her blindness, the Cheetah returns and teams with the Reverse-Flash! Then Athena sends Wonder Woman on a journey of unimagined peril!

Collecting WONDER WOMAN Vol. 2 #214–217 and THE FLASH #219!
Published February 1st 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman

Chelsea
Mar 18, 2017 Chelsea rated it liked it
I guess I'm just never going to be a huge fan of Rucka's Wonder Woman books. He leans way too hard on the mythology for me. Also, he tends to write more about others reacting to Diana than actually featuring Diana.

That being said, this, aside from the Hiketeia, is one of his more enjoyable books.

This starts with Diana working with Wally West. I may not like Johns' writing but he writes Wally in an enjoyable way. His other coincides with Diana's when Reverse Flash escapes with help from Cheetah
Cait
Anne
Apr 22, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it
Land of the Dead is the continuation of Wonder Woman: Eyes of the Gorgon, and it wraps the story up nicely. You really need to read that first to understand anything that happens in this one, though. I like Rucka's take on Wonder Woman, and I think he does a nice job with this plot line. Most of it is predictable, but he still manages to make it interesting.
Keith
Jun 12, 2017 Keith rated it liked it
The first half here is a not-very-good WW/Flash crossover and I don't totally know why it's here -- Flash and WW don't actually spell 'team-up,' and the whole thing smells like one of Geoff Johns' sad, wet farts rather than something Rucka actually signed up for.

After that is a pretty awesome story about WW descending into the Underworld to rescue Hermes -- the internet tells me he'd been down there since the Perez era, so his rescue seems relatively arbitrary until you find out e'rybody in Oly
Writerdom1118
Feb 11, 2016 Writerdom1118 rated it liked it
First arc was meh.

Second arc was killer, save the ending.

My issues with Wonder Woman as a character persist. She's so far, in my readings of her, been unrelatable. She doesn't relate to me, a fallible human being, because she's not human? Or because she's not being written correctly?

Even Superman has been depicted with human vices (Alan Moore).

Diana, however, is arbitrarily gifted something at the end of this trade, instead of desiring it from the get-go like any reasonable human being. She ep
Chris
Jun 24, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
The first arc here, in which Wonder Woman teams up with Flash to take on Cheetah and Zoom, is five-star worthy. (The Giganta cameo was a really welcome touch.) The second arc in which Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl, and Ferdinand enter the realm of the dead is four-star, bringing the whole to 4.5. If only goodreads allowed half-star ratings! The highpoint of Greg Rucka's run (so far).
Ang
Sep 02, 2016 Ang rated it really liked it
Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead picks up where Wonder Woman: Eyes of the Gorgon left off. So Wonder Woman's eyesight is still gone, but in comes Cheetah and Zolomon. They team up against Wonder Woman, however, Zolomon is playing both sides really. While he's helping Cheetah he's also helping the Flash and Wonder Woman. It's a strange dynamic, he's playing devil's advocate multiple ways. Jonah is back in the picture, however, I'm not sure what's going on with him and that chick from the park. Shou ...more
M
Jun 20, 2015 M rated it it was ok
Greg Rucka continues his modern Wonder Woman saga with the Land of the Dead volume. The first half of the book opens with a team up, as a blinded Diana must seek help from the Flash to subdue a pair of their adversaries. While the Cheetah wants to learn the secrets of super-speed from Zoom, the new Reverse-Flash is interested in the challenge of making Wonder Woman a better hero through his twisted ideals. The second half sees Diana tasked with retrieving Hermes from the underworld. Alongside Wo ...more
Angel
Jul 17, 2007 Angel rated it liked it
I borrowed this one from my local branch of the public library.

This is what I wrote about it on my blog as part of a post on various graphic novels. The complete post is here:
[http://gypsylibrarian.blogspot.com/20...]

"This volume features two stories, and Rucka provides an excellent continuation of the tale from Eyes of the Gorgon. First, Wonder Woman must team up with The Flash when Cheetah frees Zoom. Then, Diana, Cassandra, also known as Wonder Girl, and Ferdinand the minotaur must travel t
Sean
Jan 03, 2013 Sean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any comic fan!
Its hard to imagine a better Wonder Woman run than Greg Rucka's. Here were given two arcs, both fantastic. I always love superhero team-up stories and even more so when their respective villains team-up. Wally and Diana are an interesting pair when playing off each other and her being blind added to the storyline. Zoom and the new Cheetah were a perfect foils and look forward to more from them. The second arc, placed firmly in the Greek pantheon, was a great look at Diana's strengths and convict ...more
Barbara
Wonder Woman is still fighting, although blinded from her battle with the Medousa (Eyes of the Gorgon). Here she faces off against Cheetah, who’s been borrowing speed from Zoom (Reverse Flash). Flash, her JLA colleague, shows up to help. Then, Wonder Woman, Ferdinand and Wonder Girl descend to the land of the dead (Tartarus/Hades) on a mission to rescue Hermes. The storyline’s pretty good and, if nothing else, you’ll get your daily dose of Greek mythology .
Steve
Feb 25, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
This is an average collection. Wonder Woman teams up with the Flash to take down Cheetah and Zoom, and then later must delve into the bowels of Tartarus to rescue an old friend.

The best part of the story is the swaying allegiances of the Gods. You never know who is on who's side and it its an intriguing tale of deception and politics.

The result is a pretty solid Wonder Woman story that continues from the last.
Victor Orozco
Apr 17, 2015 Victor Orozco rated it liked it
Nice sequel to the previous adventure with Medusa. Nothing keeps Wonder Woman down. Not blindness, Cheetah, a trip to Hades and so much more. I have to admit the element concerning the Garibaldi's and of course Ferdinand was a little out of place in this Clash of the gods storyline, sort of dragged it out a bit. Did love Cassie appearing as well as that revelation at the end. But what was the point of bringing in Flash and Zoom?

Okay despite its length and other short comings. C+
Jessica
Dec 05, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: english-420
This graphic novel is classic of the original comic books that Marvel published. It has a high intensity plot, colorful characters and superheroes that we all love. Fans of the justice league with be thrilled with this book but any other reader will be entertained. (The synopsis at the front allows for anyone to pick up this book and be engaged in the story. The morals of Wonder woman are a bright beacon for all who read and love a good story.
Anita Fajita Pita
Aug 27, 2015 Anita Fajita Pita rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-graphics, 2015
Rucka's Wonder Woman is strong and tough, but she didn't have enough presence of character in this volume for me. Still love the lady though, and to be fair this is the only volume from this arc that I've read. It's interesting how Athena is Lord of Olympus right now and Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades are working together in Tartarus...
Amy
Nov 21, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
the land of the dead was kinda cool -- Ares and Athena's machinations are fun to watch and it was surprisingly timely to see the original patriarchy (Poseidon, Zeus & Hades) align against the upstart women who think they deserve a place at the table.

But Cheetah... why, just why!? and the Flash side story was a non-starter for me.
Oct 01, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Wonder Woman descends to the land of the dead and fights the Cheetah. This collection doesn't scream ahead, plot-wise, with the piercing focus of the previous volume. Nor is Rags Morales my favorite artist. But Rucka's command of Diana's character and unswayable goodness in rough circumstances makes for a rewarding read.
Leah
Feb 08, 2016 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I really enjoyed this comic. Wonder woman is awash in mythology and other gods, which I loved. Also, the illustrations were dark with plenty of perspective. Sometimes the different speech bubbles were different colors, which helped with clarity and let characters talk out of panel (which made the story feel bigger than the panel limitations).
Eric Mikols
Dec 16, 2013 Eric Mikols rated it really liked it
Shelves: wonder-woman
I enjoyed this more than the first volume and the opening story with the Flash was the best part. Dianna and Wally have good chemistry and I liked him having to attach himself to the lasso. The rest of the story was good as well, with plenty of action and weirdness.
Don
Aug 15, 2015 Don rated it liked it
This was pretty good but not great. Very predictable but satisfying ending. The team up with The Flash at the beginning was kind of lame, totally unnecessary to the story. It picked up after that. I think I'm done with that series, I can leave on a good note here.
Eve
Apr 21, 2012 Eve rated it really liked it
Even though, it is Greek gods, it still speaks to the idea of having faith in God regardless of the situation. No matter how much it seems beyond your understanding as to why you are facing this trial or trials.
Caroline
Apr 17, 2010 Caroline added it
Shelves: unfinished
And now I remember why crossovers have a bad rap. Half of this is a Flash comic, which mostly consists of the Flash being a humorless jerk (buh, Wally? aren't you suppposed to be the fun loving one) and I have no idea what most of it is about. Maybe I'll take another run at it later.
Fraser Sherman
Oct 04, 2014 Fraser Sherman rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Despite being blind, Wonder Woman battles villains, descends into the underworld to rescue a trapped god and teams up with Flash in this collection from Greg Rucka's run. Despite the crossover of a Flash villain I don't like, a good story arc.
Amy
Jul 16, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
This is the second Wonder Woman graphic novel I've read and it was even better then the first.

A solid and intriguing storyline with excellent characters. I'm keen to read more of Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman because I thoroughly enjoy how he writes her.
David
Jun 18, 2016 David rated it liked it
There's some pretty solid stuff in this volume but the initial story, a crossover with Flash, feels rushed and tacked on and the main storyline, involving Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl and Ferdinand going to rescue Hermes from hell, seems to easy.
Sesana
Dec 08, 2011 Sesana rated it really liked it
Land of the Dead wraps up most of the plot threads Rucka had lying about. It's a very satisfying conclusion, though there was still space to play with. I think Rucka's really had a good feel for Wonder Woman throughout his run. She seems to be a tough lady to write for.
Bjorn
Apr 21, 2013 Bjorn rated it really liked it
Love this series.
Monica Copeland
Jun 30, 2007 Monica Copeland rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphicnovels
It was cheesy and confusing, like many a DC work... I did like the depictions of the Greek Gods/Godesses, though.
Frank Taranto
Aug 22, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, comics
Second of two Wonder Woman books I found at the library. Good stories and excellent art.
Halsted
Mar 12, 2011 Halsted rated it liked it
Recommended to Halsted by: Jordan W.
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is probably my favorite in this series because of all the Greek mythology cleverly woven into the story.
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Found
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Destiny Calling
  • Wonder Woman: Lifelines
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • JLA: A League of One
  • Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...

Wonder Woman II (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals