Start by marking “Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Destiny Calling” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Destiny Calling

Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Destiny Calling (Wonder Woman II #4)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  273 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Combining inventive storytelling and breathtaking artwork, WONDER WOMAN: GODS AND MORTALS masterfully reinvigorates the legend of the world's original warrior princess. In this volume, the origin and early history of Wonder Woman are retold in order to update the birth and rise of the Amazons' greatest champion. When Ares, the god of war, devises a plot to overthrow the Gr ...more
Published June 21st 2006 by DC Comics (first published December 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman, Vol. 4

Gianfranco Mancini

A good ending of a good classic run.
George Pérez really loved the character, the Greek Mythology references were well integrated with the storytelling, the artworks were just over the top, just some parts/dialogues not aged much well.

And the Wonder Woman Annual #1 (1988) illustrated by Arthur dams, Ross Andru, John Bolton, Brian Bolland and José Luis García-López is just a masterwork.
Sesana
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
This is the last of the George Perez piloted Wonder Woman, or at least the last that's been collected in trades. I really enjoyed his perspective on the character, and the heavily mythological backing she had here. And the art is beautiful, of course.
Ken Moten
This volume marks the last collected edition of George Pérez's work on Wonder Woman (#1-24). After issue #24, Pérez moved away from the artwork and it suffers a notable decline. He would continue writing the comic until issue #62, but from what I can see the comics superiority was not there any more. So we are better to have the end of the collected edition here where we can see the consequence of the Amazons' decision to rejoin the rest of the international community and a key decision the the ...more
Jerry
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it
The Good: Modern comics can be fun, but, old-school ones tend to be a blast. The art style of these comics made them more enjoyable, and Wonder Woman finds herself in some insane situations in these comics. This volume has some fun moments, but...

The Bad: It also can be downright dull at times. One long comic in particular is especially boring. Fans of DC Comics' top superheroine might be disappointed by this, even if it is a "classic" volume. Plus, some profanity, sexual references, and sultry
Robert
Mar 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Pandering, Simplistic, Inconsistent crap.
Maythavee
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5 stars. This is probably my favourite volume so far! I really enjoyed it and I would've given it a full 5 stars if not for a frustrating moment between Diana and Julia that I will elaborate on later.

"Who Killed Myndi Mayer?"
I'll admit that I really didn't like Myndi Mayer when she was first introduced but now that we got to know more of her backstory, she grew on me and her death was shocking. I liked that this issue was told from Inspector Ed Indelicato's POV. This made it feel more like an
Michael
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loeg-archives
Wonder Woman is one of those many characters whom I can't say that I ever disliked, but I never gave much thought to or had much interest in for most of my life. Then, one day, I pulled a few Perez issues out of a cheap comics bin and promptly went out and hunted down George's entire 62-issue run.

Finally, DC has done me the courtesy of collecting the first two years of the series - the issues that George drew (plus the Byrne-illustrated lead from Action #600 and the non-Perez all-star jam on Won
Luiz Santiago
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4,5
Ted
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, nerd-culture
It's so refreshing to read a creator's labor of love. Once I finished it, I felt I could have read four more volumes.

[SPOILERS AHEAD]

One thing that I really appreciated about this volume was how well it handled the topic of death. In all cases--from Myndi Myer to all the victims of Ixion's rampage--death is treated as a serious, horrifying occurrence that has a powerful effect on survivors. It's all too common for stories to kill off characters (central or background) on a whim, with no one feel
Ang
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Destiny Calling is the fourth volume of George Perez' Wonder Woman series.

It begins with the investigation into Myndi Mayers' death. Sadly, it was the form of a white powder that killed her and not the nefarious Skeeter LaRue, but he did end up getting what he deserved. It's just a sad ending to Myndi's story. In the following chapter, the Gods of Olympus reveal their plans to Wonder Woman, Hippolyte, and Menalippe about their plan for 'cosmic migration' and how they need Wonder Woman to help t
Todd
A nice finish to the relaunched Wonder Woman by George Pérez. There's plenty of places to take it, but it has a nice finality to it at the same time.

It's funny how different Wonder Woman is here than she has become in more modern takes. She's a little more willing to be the Warrior Princess recently. Her she fights very hard to not kill her enemies. Later on she will comment on her lack of Rogues by stating that she takes care of them.

These are great comics and I love the fact that not every iss
M
Jun 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
George Perez can draw. His images of Wonder Woman are iconic interpretations of the character; sadly, this volume's only redeeming quality is his art. Dealing with the Grecian pantheon, Wonder Woman finds herself torn between personal responsibilities in Boston and familial duties on Paradise Island. As the she attempts to reconcile both, Hermes continues to show up and meddle in everything. The majority of this tome seems to deal with the fallout of a battle with Ares and the build-up of Vaness ...more
Jeff Raymond
Reading this volume of Wonder Woman, you start to wonder if this is around where Perez got removed from the project, and whether it was actually his choice. So bogged down in mythology that, having read ahead, has very little to do with the future of the series and so so dull until the very end, which almost feels thrown together in a "well, Wonder Woman has to do something heroic, right?" kind of way...

I'm a huge Wonder Woman booster, but it's no wonder people struggle with her as a character w
Jena
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
I can see why it's so beloved, but for me the Pérez run is a little too bogged down in the mythology aspect. Which is weird, because I'm a huge fan of Greek mythology. I guess it's just because I'm more interested in WW's character and her relationships than I am with her devotion to the gods. The art is nice, the writing is generally very good, and it can serve as a good introduction to WW. For me, though, the focus on Olympus made it a chore at times to get through.
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I guess I just don't get this George Perez run. I know it's classic and all that, but I just don't like it. It's split between Diana hanging out with a mother/daughter duo and melodramatic Amazon stuff. On top of that they are so narration heavy. Just not what I'm looking for. I want to see Wonder Woman being Wonder Woman, not just a naive goddess. I want her to fight bad guys and be cool. This is not for me.
Variaciones Enrojo
Quinto taco recopilatorio de Wonder Woman - La Mujer Maravilla. Contiene los números 16 a 20 de esta colección.
Es el último tomo español de esta etapa cuyo contenido se ve más o menos reflejado en un recopilatorio estadounidense.
Eric Mikols
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: wonder-woman
I've enjoyed most of George Perez's run, but this volume just left me bored. There's little that happens and even the Greek adventure fails to spark interest. The art is gorgeous as ever, but I think Perez was losing his direction of the plot.
Amanda
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This was my least favorite of the Perez trades..
Peter
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
There was a great storyline about the difference between being Diana Prince and being Wonder Woman, and all that those persona entail. Not too much cosmic nonsense.
Lydia
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Why it says I read it in 1987: I own the first 60 something first printing issues of the George Perez run and treasure them heart breakingly.
Juan Jose
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent run!
Robin
Jun 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comicbook
The last of the Perez run, and I was sad to see it go. Not the best of his work, and several small storylines rather than one arc, but still quite entertaining.
Kathleen Loucks
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this series by George Perez. He returned to the roots of WW and told some entertaining stories.
Jim
  • Wonder Woman: Lifelines
  • Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
  • Wonder Woman: The Contest
  • Wonder Woman:  Mythos
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Wonder Woman: Amazons Attack!
  • Wonder Woman: Odyssey, Vol. 2
  • Wonder Woman
  • Justice League International, Vol. 4
  • Superman: Infinite Crisis
  • Superboy, Vol. 2: Extraction
George Pérez (born June 9, 1954) is an American writer and illustrator of comic books, known for his work on various titles, including Avengers, Teen Titans and Wonder Woman.
More about George Pérez

Wonder Woman II (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here
  • Halsey Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Woodlands (Glenbrooke, #7)