Start by marking “Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia

Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia (Wonder Woman)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  2,624 Ratings  ·  198 Reviews
WONDER WOMAN: THE HIKETEIA is a brilliantly orchestrated modern Greek tragedy of duty and vengeance.

When Wonder Woman partakes in an ancient ritual called the Hiketeia, she is honor bound to eternally protect and care for a young girl named Danielle Wellys. But when the Amazon Princess learns that Danielle has killed the drug dealers who murdered her sister, she suddenly
Published October 1st 2003 by DC Comics (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Chicago commercial photographers
(I totally love that image)

The Hiketeia is an ancient Greek ritual that bonds the master and servant in a relationship of mutual respect and servitude.

Danielle Wellys shows up and asks for Hiketeia with Wonder Woman/Diana. Wonder Woman is of course curious that an ancient custom is known must less practiced. She accepts the Hiketeia.
Chicago commercial photographers

Then Batman shows up hunting her ward.
Chicago commercial photographers

Under the bond no harm may come to her ward...so Wonder Woman kicks some Batman booty.
Chicago commercial photographers

She is also being watched by some Gre
Alejandro
A winning graphic novel in a no-win situation!

Creative Team:

Writer: Greg Rucka

Illustrator: J.G. Jones

LAW V. HONOR: DAWN OF A NO-WIN SCENARIO

Don’t get up...

...is the order that gives Wonder Woman to Batman, while he lies beaten on the ground and with her boot on his head.

It's Wonder Woman against The Batman, when a girl asks for help, putting the two superheroes on opposite sides of a conflict about honor against the law.

Danielle Wellys is wanted by GCPD for various murders and The Batman is o
Bookwraiths
Aug 11, 2015 Bookwraiths rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Damn, that is a cool cover. I mean, nothing says badass like Wonder Woman’s boot on Batman’s face, right?

But, honestly, The Hiketeia isn’t so much about WW and Bats getting into it (though they are definitely at one another here) as it is the story of a young woman finding a way to escape the Dark Knight’s justice.

What starts the whole thing out is when this unknown woman decides to give some seriously wicked guys a little bit of street justice. Their brutal p
Sesana
Dec 08, 2011 Sesana rated it it was amazing
You could consider this Greg Rucka's audition for the job of regular Wonder Woman writer. After reading The Hiketeia, it was a foregone conclusion that he'd get it eventually.

I first read this book right after it first came out. It was getting a lot of buzz, for the Batman vs. Wonder Woman showdown, for the plot borrowing from (somewhat fictionalized) ancient Greek customs, for that awesome cover, but mostly for being a really good Wonder Woman story. It's all true.

There's a grim inevitability t
Jan Philipzig
I realize I am in the minority here, but the ways in which Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia tackles serious topics such as sexual assault, sexual slavery, drug abuse and suicide felt formulaic, cheesy, exploitative, and ultimately inadequate to me.
Anne
Jul 12, 2010 Anne rated it it was amazing
The story itself is short and...well, not sweet. After all, it is a Greek tragedy. Still, this story is a great example of why Wonder Woman is such an icon. The art is gorgeous, by the way!
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Probably the best damn Wonder Woman comic I've had the pleasure to read. GORRAM is this good!! WW is in PERFECT form, the story is SUPERB, art is great and Batman makes a GREAT unlikely foil.

Rucka is quickly becoming a fav.
Michelle M
Nov 07, 2016 Michelle M rated it really liked it
The ritual of Hiketeia is one of supplication, servitude and protection. Diana finds herself in a tricky situation with Batman on one side, the furies on another, and the life of a young girl in the balance. Quick but not easy read, with beautiful art throughout.
Logan
Feb 28, 2017 Logan rated it it was amazing
Very good! So quite often, we see Superman and Batman go head to head for whatever reason, but very rarely do we see Batman and Wonder Woman fight, this one being one of the few! So the story is of a Woman named Danielle who has murdered several men which has gotten Batman's attention; needing protection she performs Hiketeia, an ancient Greek custom, which bounds Wonder Woman as her protector; that's as you can imagine how her and Batman fight. Going into this it was not what I was expecting, D ...more
Julia
Apr 01, 2016 Julia rated it it was amazing
For something that was less than 100 pages, this really packed a punch.

There's a good bit of ancient Greek history and mythology in this, which makes it more interesting. They explain what hiketeia is and how this young woman Danny (who idolizes Wonder Woman) uses it after she goes on a rampage to avenge her younger sister's death at the hands of a form of sex trafficking. Batman is out to hand Danny to the authorities but Wonder Woman can't let that happen because that would have broken the bon
Wealhtheow
Jul 10, 2010 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
For some reason I don't read Wonder Woman regularly, even though she is exactly the kind of character I love best: an unapologetic, strong-willed, opinionated, bad-ass woman. In this comic, a young woman begs for Wonder Woman's protection, and she grants it. WW speaks with a precise, antiquated style that I love, particularly in contrast to the colloquial speech around her. Her life is one of service and duty--and she likes it that way. The demands placed upon her by hospitality and honor place ...more
Vishakha
Jun 05, 2017 Vishakha rated it liked it
If there is one thing that I have learned its that Greg Rucka writes Wonder Woman particularly well. Diana's narration in The Hiketeia is beautiful and engaging. The plot is good and well-paced. And of course, the cover.

Like me, many pick this one up because of the cover. Its hard to imagine a scenario where Wonder Woman would have Batman pinned to the ground. With her boot. To his face. OMG what have my two favorite superheroes gotten themselves into this time?! And as is usual between them, i
Sophie
Mar 22, 2010 Sophie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tina
Shelves: comics, favorites
There is something about Wonder Woman. Like Batman and Superman, just looking her sometimes takes my breath away. Of course, those three inspire different feelings each. And with Diana, it's - it's a different kind of awe, one I haven't found a word for yet. Earlier this evening I was reading a single issue of Wonder Woman where women who were victims of physical abuse were talking about how Wonder Woman - just by existing - helped them to stand up for themselves. And when finally you saw her on ...more
Amy
Apr 15, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I think the biggest criticism I have of this book, is that it's too short to really do itself justice.

Rucka asks some really interesting and thoughtful questions by pitting Wonder Woman and Batman against each other. What is legally moral and what is righteously moral are not always the same thing, and in reality there's very nuanced and compelling arguments for both sides.

Unfortunately we don't really get that depth here, the motivations never progressing from basic stereotypes - Wonder Woman
Tar Buendía
Feb 12, 2017 Tar Buendía rated it really liked it
La idea general me ha parecido soberbia. Sin embargo dibujo y color no me iban demasiado. Es un estilo muy típico de cómic americano al que no le veo el punto.

Es muy cortito así que incluso algunas cosas que no me han llamado tanto se hacen muy pasables (la viñeta del "not that she was plain" se la podían haber ahorrado, mucho). Así que bastante recomendable y Diana for president.
Quentin Wallace
Feb 01, 2017 Quentin Wallace rated it really liked it
This was different. Basically it was a Greek Tragedy in comic book form. Oh, and also Wonder Woman beats up Batman.

Hiketeia is an ancient ritual where one person offers supplication. If the supplication is accepted, than the host becomes responsible for the other person until the other person willingly leaves. So Wonder Woman ends up being indebted to a murderer, and when Batman shows up to bring her in Wonder Woman has to stop him. There are also 3 Furies waiting to literally tear apart anyone
Caroline
Apr 17, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Wow, that's not at all what I expected. This is a serious meditation on the nature of justice and the conflict between varying belief systems, in the form of a Wonder Woman and Batman comic with a plot that is (literally) from Greek tragedy. That doesn't sound like it should work, but Rucka pulls it off. There's lovely art by J. G. Jones, too. This is a very short book, but it's the kind of thing that sticks with you.
Josh
Oct 24, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it
A quick read with great art!
Juan Bosco
Aug 29, 2010 Juan Bosco rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wonder Woman es un personaje icónico, es la super heroína mejor conocida de todas y para muchas personas, quizás, es la única que conocen. Sin embargo, pocas personas podrían nombrar alguna historia emblemática de este personaje o alguno de sus villanos.

The Hiketeia es una de las historias de referencia de Wonder Woman escrita por uno de los autores más emblemáticos del personaje. En esta historia se presentan los elementos más característicos de Wonder Woman: su origen mitológico, su papel de
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it really liked it
Take Wonder Woman and crank her up to 11 in an effort to make her more relevant. It succeeds and fails on both levels.
Jeice
This was ok. I picked it up because it was on a number of "Best Wonder Woman comics" lists, but I found it rather underwhelming. It wasn't BAD, per se, but it suffered from not having enough page length. Characters seemed underdeveloped, the motives were clear but there wasn't room to plumb the depths of them. It sets itself up as a Greek tragedy, but when the obvious yet-unnecessary tragic end came I didn't feel anything besides the fact that it was obvious yet unnecessary. Because the characte ...more
Ash
Jun 24, 2017 Ash rated it it was amazing
The best Wonder Woman comic I have read (not that I have read many). The cover drew me in but I couldn't find a copy anywhere as it is now out of print and then I go to library and find a copy staring at me! I couldn't be more happy to finally read the comic with my favorite Batman and Wonder Woman. But I removed 0.5 stars since there was hardly any fight between the two which disappointed me actually. There were very few action scenes between the two but the story was great. Artwork wa
Benjamin Featherston
Jan 02, 2017 Benjamin Featherston rated it it was ok
When a killer invokes an ancient rite to secure the protection of Wonder Woman and escape the pursuit of Batman, she pits the two friends against one another. Since these two heroes have their respective fan bases, let's look at how well Greg Rucka serves each group.

Fans of Wonder Woman will enjoy delving into Amazonian culture, specifically the tradition of the Hiketeia. Unfortunately, this trade paperback is set during that bizarre era in which Diana was a political ambassador at the UN in New
Tiara
Apr 18, 2011 Tiara rated it really liked it
A young woman finds herself in Batman’s crosshairs when she decides to mete out her own personal brand of justice against the men who are responsible for her sister’s death. To protect herself, she acquiesces herself to Wonder Woman through an ancient ritual called “Hiketeia,” a custom from Diana’s world that cannot be refused without severe consequences, leaving Wonder Woman at odds with Batman when she accepts.

A Google Buzz friend recommended this when we had a discussion about essential readi
Longjonbronze
Apr 02, 2013 Longjonbronze rated it it was amazing
As its been said Wonder Woman is the spirit of truth, that's the core of the character, as long as you stay true to the core of the character you cant go wrong. And yet so many people do. Here is a great done in one graphic novel that demonstrates all that is great about the character and why she works. Even though in the past some writers just haven't go it.

Its just great when the right writer meets the right character. Here it is in all its glory, Greg Rucka excels in writing great female cha
Ken Moten
Jan 28, 2017 Ken Moten rated it really liked it
This graphic novella served as Greg Rucka's statement of intent on the direction he planned to take his time on writing Wonder Woman. He was brought in after the whole "dark age of comics" had finally lifted and (much like he is doing now in the DC Rebirth-era) was tasked at putting DC Comics' lead superheroine on the right path again. This book gives us a sample of what he planned to do.

I will not get to bogged down in details/recap, but since Wonder Woman vol. 4: Destiny Calling ended Wonder
Erica Monroe
Nov 23, 2014 Erica Monroe rated it liked it
Kamal
Jul 22, 2014 Kamal rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
It's interesting to read a superhero story that sets two vastly different moral systems side-by-side. In this case, Batman's obsessive war on crime with Wonder Woman's ancient moral code from antiquity. The cover alone get's you all excited about DC's two most implacable and complicated heroes facing off. However, Rucka doesn't really deliver. The story is too ponderous for its own good. Rucka knits together some very strong story elements only to have it all ravel with a completely unsatisfying ...more
Kurt Rocourt
Jun 08, 2012 Kurt Rocourt rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-tpb
If I remember correctly this was Greg Ruckas first Wonder Woman comic. Its the story that got him the job of series writer a year later. By the cover you can see who else is in the book. The story highlights the difference between Wonder Woman and Batman without the knockdown drag out fight that you know Batman can't win. The way they resolve the problem between them is smart. In Ruckas run this idea of Wonder Woman resolving problems in her own way starts here so I think before someone reads hi ...more
Angie
May 01, 2009 Angie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Angie by: Jon O
When I was little girl I used to love Wonder Woman. I would twirl around real fast in my Wonder Woman Underoos to become her and then fly (jump off the sofa), and lasso evil villains (my siblings) with my golden lariat (My jumprope).

A friend lent me some wonder woman graphic novels to read. I hadn't thought much about wonder woman since I was about 7 or 8, I'd say. I was skeptical that I would like them. I'm not a huge fan of DC style superheroes, but truly I loved her all over again.
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: The Circle
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 2: Challenge of the Gods
  • Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
  • JLA: A League of One
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Found
  • Wonder Woman: Odyssey, Vol. 2
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Batwoman, Vol. 3: World's Finest
  • Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 5: Dead Robin
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...

Wonder Woman (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • The Wonder Woman Chronicles, Vol. 1