Start by marking “Wonder Woman: Mission's End” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman: Mission's End

Wonder Woman: Mission's End (Wonder Woman II #15)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  477 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Book by Rucka, Greg, Randall, Ron
Published July 19th 2006 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman

Sesana
Feb 21, 2012 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Sometimes I wonder what the writers of ongoing monthlies think when editorial decides that they need to shelve all of their storylines and characters and instead work on the yearly crossover event. In this case, Infinite Crisis. (Bits of this I've actually read two or three times, in Superman: Sacrfice and The OMAC Project.) More than anything, I'm left feeling sad that Rucka couldn't have gone out in the series the way he might have liked to, with his own storylines. That said, he does as good ...more
John Yelverton
Feb 01, 2012 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
Wonder Woman returns to her usual standard of excellence with this amazing addition to her book series.
Claire
Aug 26, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing
This is an epic conclusion to Greg Rucka's arc on Wonder Woman as well as a key transitional piece to a subsequent run. That's the thing with comics, there's always more back story, more analog hypertext routes to follow.

In this case, I'd start this arc from its beginning in Wonder Woman: Down to Earth. Then read the Wonder Woman graphic novels: Bitter Rivals, Eyes of the Gorgon, Land of the Dead, and then Mission's End.

There's some crossover with the Infinite Crisis storyline in Mission's End.
Brian
Aug 12, 2014 Brian rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Very soft 3, as it's closer to a 2.8. It's hard to take a book seriously that has an ambassador to the UN walking through her embassy in basically a one-piece bathing suit. The irony of this being a book allegedly about a group of Amazons attempting to live peacefully in "the patriarch's world" is unbearable. The story is fine, but the depiction of women is deplorable, as it usually is in DC's books.*

*Not that Marvel is so much better in this regard, but they certainly seem to try a bit harder,
Maggie Gordon
Review cross-posted (with graphics!) at: http://mgbookreviews.wordpress.com/20...

Synopsis

Wonder Woman, the superhero, the diplomat, and the princess of an entire culture, comes face-to-face with the conflicts inherent in her many roles in Mission’s End. Her task has been to bring a message of peace and diplomacy to the world outside of Themyscira, but this work has been complicated by the fact that she spends so much of her time defending Earth from terrifying threats. When a new villain arises
David
Jun 23, 2016 David rated it really liked it
A solid but, unfortunately, rushed end to Rucka's run. DC's big event, Infinite Crisis, rebooted the continuity and this forced Rucka to end his run prematurely and also to add a new subplot involving Maxwell Lord that tied into Crisis. As a result he is not able to tie up all the loose ends. Despite this he is still able to tell a compelling story and Diane is really put through the ringer here, both physically and emotionally.
Sophie
Mar 07, 2010 Sophie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I love Wonder Woman. There was a time - not very long ago - when I thought I didn't really care about her, that this wasn't my thing, but okay, I was stupid and I don't know why I thought that anyway. I love Wonder Woman.

This volume collects the final issues of Greg Rucka's run, set right before/ during Infinite Crisis. I was reading this on the train; a mistake as it turned out because at one point I felt like throwing the book at the wall in lieu of being able to punch Batman (and Superman) a
Sean
Jul 26, 2014 Sean rated it liked it
Recommends it for: DC Comics' fans!
Greg Rucka wraps up his amazing Wonder Woman run with a bunch of high notes. During this trade the overarching DC drama unfolds with the events of Infinite Crisis. Wonder Woman's actions have a huge effect on the world, specifically Paradise Island. Because of the huge event, there was less of Diana's supporting cast. Greg Rucka's love affair with Checkmate and OMAC is here and neither have been things I have ever cared much about. A huge drawback to me here was that bad lettering. The OMAC's wo ...more
Sam Poole
Oct 04, 2014 Sam Poole rated it did not like it
Why does DC hate Wonder Woman so much? There are flashes of intrigue and excitement here but the abrasive and simple "moral quandary" at its core is overblown. Wonder Woman kills max lord because he is going to use a superman under his mind control to destroy thousands of lives. THAT IS NOT A BAD THING. She gets shunned, the amazons get into a war, unnecessary sexiness happens, etc. This was misogynist drivel that actually starts out very well. My interest and enjoyment levels tapered out after ...more
Nnedi
Mar 23, 2010 Nnedi rated it really liked it
i absolutely love these wonder woman graphic novels. i typically don't like superhero comics, but these ones rock. they have plot, energy, true conflict and rich characters. the only thing i didn't like about this one was that it's a bunch of shorts. i always want a longer story. i'd get deep into one of the stories then it would end and i'd feel annoyed. but yeah, finally, ive found a superhero comic that i really really enjoy. i think this is the forth one that i've read. i highly recommend re ...more
Astrid
Dec 29, 2012 Astrid rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
I was so confused at the end of this book with the whole Infinite Crisis (I think?? Maybe??) thing but that's comics for you I guess. The art started to annoy in this volume. Not sure why since there's skimpy outfits throughout the entire run but I remember noticing more sexy-for-the-sake-of-titillation poses in this one. Contrary to this rating, I'd give 4 stars for the entire Rucka run on WW. It was easy to read and absorbing for this DC superhero newbie and in hindsight, the dramatic highs it ...more
Steve
Jul 30, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
"They have killed my name."

Rucka's Wonder Woman series ends with a bang. All of Diana's enemies converge on her at once, trying to destroy her image when they cannot destroy her physically. She finds herself tested to the limit, and having to end her small tenure as Themysciran Ambassador after the events of the book.

This paves the way for Infinite Crisis.
Rob
Not my favorite collection, the idea of Superman and Batman sanctimoniously judging Wonder Woman for committing murder to save the lives of thousands (if not the world) seemed not only unrealistic but not in keeping with the darker tone of comics to date. All the gun violence lacked impact for me, the whole collection felt dated.

Apr 21, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A touching if rushed conclusion to Rucka's work with the Maid of Might. Diana relinquishes her work as a diplomat in the face of committing a murder others don't realize was primarily self-defense. Her perseverance in the face of loneliness, and her recommitment to being a messenger of peace, are what make her a hero here.
Chris
Jun 24, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Not bad, but yet another example of an individual title being handicapped by a crossover/event, this time Infinite Crisis. Greg Rucka does a good job salvaging what he can; it truly is a shame that he was not allowed to continue his fine run beyond this arc.
Emilia
May 16, 2016 Emilia rated it really liked it
Mission's End is such a bittersweet arc. Diana's gods turn their back on her and she feels utterly alone, but people still believe in her. She finds strength in that. This is Diana at both her lowest and most triumphant.
Cait
Infinite Crisis smacks down any and all ongoing plotlines in order to end the world badly. Sigh. Diana keeps kicking, though. Damn, I love her.
Lisa
May 22, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
I definitely prefer George Perez's interpretation of Wonder Woman. His art and layout are much better. I did enjoy the story though.
Halsted
May 16, 2011 Halsted rated it liked it
Recommended to Halsted by: Jordan W.
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was a satisfying conclusion to an interesting arc.
Vaishali
Aug 13, 2008 Vaishali rated it it was amazing
The story was excellent and so was the art.
Lisa
Aug 25, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great ending to a great series.
Warren
Part of The OMAC Project
Arthur
Arthur rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Godbowstomaths
Godbowstomaths marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Hayley Bryan
Hayley Bryan marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Reme
Reme marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
EJ
EJ marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 3: Beauty and the Beasts
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 5: Rise of the Olympian
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Lost
  • JLA: A League of One
  • Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
  • Wonder Woman: Odyssey, Vol. 2
  • Wonder Woman: Second Genesis
  • Batgirl, Volume 3: The Lesson
  • Trinity, Vol. 1
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...

Wonder Woman II (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals