Start by marking “The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat: 6 Books and 2 Cassettes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Autobiography of F...

Susan Fromberg Schaeffer

The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat: 6 Books and 2 Cassettes

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  302 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Hardcover
Published by Alfred A. Knopf (first published September 2nd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat

Amy!
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: softcover
A quick read in a tiny little book. Schaeffer really captured how cats must think. The story is touching at times and a lot of fun. I'd read it to my cats, but I'm not sure which language to use.
Lesa
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, cats
Next month, my brown bag lunch at work will cover the topic "Peck-N-Paws", books about animals. One of the Readers' Advisors recommended The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat by Susann Fromberg Schaeffer, saying it was her favor cat book. Foudini does for cats what Chet does for dogs in Spencer Quinn's books. Foudini narrates the story of his own life. It's a charming story for all cat lovers. (And, remember this is an "autobiography" so Foudini lives. But, no promises about other beloved animals. ...more
Cal
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was cute, and I liked the writing style a lot. It felt authentically cattish. The ending was kind of weird and the age of Foudini is kind of hard to make out since he apparently watched a child grow from a baby to adulthood? Fathering Grace's kittens was sorta awkward given that they are radically apart in age, and sure the animal world works like that but still weird feeling for anthropomorphized animals, especially given the difference in maturity between them written throughout the ...more
Kasey Endsley
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this novel. I cried very much. It is an honest, poignant, humble story - a story of everything and all of time, and of one cat's experience in their own time and place, with their own people and the dog and cat they have loved, and even lost. It is surprisingly easy to connect to the narrator as he tells his life story. I liken this to another of my favorite novels, The Art of Racing in the Rain (told from a dogs point of view) in that the animal narrators have much to say on hum ...more
Benedetta
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro davvero adorabile e divertente!

La storia della vita di un gatto, Foudini, raccontata dal suo punto di vista. E' stato divertente vedere il mondo attraverso gli occhi di un gatto.
Mi sono trovata molte volte a sorridere leggendo i pensieri di Foudini, i dialoghi con gli altri animali e aneddoti vari.
Ho amato l'amicizia tra Foudini e Sam il cane.

Curioso, inoltre, il fatto che l'autrice ci faccia conoscere anche i gatti di Cleopatra (almeno credo), la gatta di Biancaneve e quello di Freu
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the reason I tell my cat I'm going to make kitten stew out of her. Read it more than once, like ten times at least.
Lucie Cedille
Es ist ein schönes Buch und ich habe es immerhin durchgelesen, daher die zwei Sterne. Allerdings finde ich persönlich die Sicht des Kater etwas einfältig, mit dem Titel hatte ich etwas mehr erwartet.
H. P. Reed
Cleverly written from a cat's point of view, aside from a few cat behavior errors, this book is entertaining in the best sense of the word. We are taken from an appalling kittenhood through Foudini's lessons in human love and the pleasures of home life, while never being allowed to forget that a cat is only partially tamed. One of the most touching parts of this "autobiography" is the growth of an abiding friendship between our hero and his dog Sam. Yes, HIS dog. The human caretakers are only pa ...more
Carole Rae
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stumbled upon this randomly at the library and I seen that Susan Fromberg Schaeffer (author of one of my favorites 'Snow Fox') was the author! ANNNNNNNNNNND it's in the POV of a cat. C'mon? Did you really think I could resist this? haha

Oooooh this was such a great read. It is short and simple and sweet, but there are so much you get out of this. So many life lessons and so much cuteness. I simply love Mr. Foudini! It really made me miss having a cat (since mine passed a year ago) and really made
Cindy
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fairy-tale novella, clever and well written, of the life of a very special cat told from that cat's perspective. Born feral, Foudini M. Cat was orphaned too young as a kitten, but rescued and named by Warm. He learns to trust Warm, accept her husband Pest, care for their son, and overcome his mother’s dire warnings about dogs to learn accept Sam and yet annoy him, trust Sam and yet defy him, but Foudini does ultimately reach a point where he developd and can acknowledge his complete ...more
Mona
Jan 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, simple, and utterly adorable tale, told in the voice of Foudini, his dog, and Grace the cat. This book starts out sounding almost like a children's book, but it does have some interesting and unique aspects that make it appealing to adult readers. The charm of this book lies in looking at the world from the perspective of the pets of the household, and reinterpreting the human world their eyes. The bond between the pets and the love the have for each other and their "assigned people" wi ...more
Mary
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, wow, this is a hard book to rate. On one level, it's a very slight tale. On another, itt is clever, charming, and has wonderful language, a touching story of inter-species friendship (which always makes me cry) and some insight into animal behavior. But it also has, towards the end, a huge, huge plot hole. I simply cannot believe that caring and responsible pet owners would drop the ball as they are shown to do, not once, but twice. I think, too, that Jackson Galaxy, if he ever read it, woul ...more
Anna
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story has the feel of being written long, long ago (in truth it was published in 1998) and is the tale of Foudini Mouser Cat, as told to a new kitten member of his household - alternately hilarious and sad by turns, it is an amusing depiction of the world (and US!) as seen through the eyes of a cat. Foudini's a feral kitten who was adopted by a well-meaning human (who believes she can speak "cat" - Foudini hates to break it to her but whatever it is she's saying isn't any "cat" HE knows of, ...more
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book at least twice before this re-reading. It's been a while since my last re-read and after telling a friend about it, I was inspired to read it again because it's one of my all time favorite books and a book I love to give away. Foudini's tale will make you laugh, cry and look at your pets in new ways. As soon as I read the last word, I wanted to pick it up again so I could savor my favorite bits all over again. The story will warm your heart and soul. Get a copy, read it, gi ...more
Linda
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. the cat is the narrator and his view of the world is hilarious. It made me a laugh out loud, a lot. it also has a few sad parts that had my crying. and I mean and hard ugly cry not just a few tears dripping down my face.
I loaned this book out to everyone. So much that I don't have it anymore. However, I will be buying again because it is a keeper. If you are am animal lover you MUST READ.
Robin
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book for me because I'm currently house sitting for a family with a big dog and a kitten. The relationship they have helped me to understand Foudini's reciprocated love for his Dog and later for the kitten Grace, who was Dog's replacement. Foudini's early life was difficult and it took a long time for him to learn to trust. The human characters, whom Foudini called Warm and Pest, play very secondary roles to the main story.
Courtney
Oct 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Courtney by: Tracy
I thought this was a good little story. I have a cat at home and now I am constantly wondering what he is thinking about! This was the first time that I have read a book where it is told from the point of view of a cat. It's a quick and heart-warming read that I think many cat lovers will enjoy.
Susan
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great little book for anyone who loves cats and dogs - the author is totally convincing writing in the voice of Foudini the cat, and the book is charming (but not overly saccharine), poignant (but not overly heartbreaking), and full of wholly believable insights into the way a cat thinks. A compelling plot, too - I loved it.
Janet
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, animals
Another weeding choice. It’s a beautifully written story of friendship and love, with some truly heart wrenching moments. I spent the entire second half of the book with tears running down my face, sniffling like a little kid because I didn't want to stop reading long enough to get a tissue. Don’t let that stop you though. It is an uplifting, reassuring book, but damn is it sad in spots!
Jane
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a cat lover, the "thoughts" and "feelings" of Foudini made me think about and love my cats, Frank and Ernest, even more. My husband read passages aloud each night and his reading style was special and I could hear Foudini's "voice" and visualize his actions. Sweet, insightful story for animal lovers.
Marigold
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the coolest cat book ever! Perfect for a rainy day, short and sweet. I could totally see my cat thinking these things that Foudini thinks. Kinda makes me want to get a dog or kitten for my 17 yr old cat...but then again, not! I am going to say "back soon" every time I leave the house now! I wonder what my secret name is, that my cat has given me!
Katie
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be clever, poignant, and a utterly charming. I loved the writing and the characters. I originally read it as a kid, and then again recently as a twenty-something. I'd recommend it for any age group.
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and animal lovers
I loved this book. Foundini was smart, tough and thoroughly loveable. I found myself watching my own cat closely while reading this one and I think she'd write a similar book if she could. I cried with this book and that's rare for me.
Kitty
Thought experiment on how to be the cat. As a cat and dog owner, I found the relationship between the cat Foudini and the dog refreshingly not too sticky-sweet.

Okay, break's over, back to work..
Ana
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to a ninja gift, I got to read this wonderfully sweet book told from the point of view of a housecat. Its more interesting than it sounds but I don't want to give away any gems from the story. Its like a bedtime story from grown-ups. Recommended.
Cindy
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the best cat books ever! Foudini is a wonderful black and white cat with a very full life - a grey girlfriend named Grace and a galoot of a Great Dane pal as well! Saddest thing about this: it is on cassette tape! I'm gonna have to convert it to cd or mp3 one of these days!
l.
my dad saw an article in this newspaper on the author and thought i would be interested in this book as a) she wrote her phd on nabokov, b) cats!

i was unconvinced at first but it was surprisingly funny & touching! a good read for both lovers of cats & dogs.
Sadie Miller
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2nd-quarter-log
This book brings up the topic of death but gives a new perspective. It shows how an animal most people despise can show kind warmer side. This book shows how a cat goes thew life, the changes he faces and the people he loses, but in the end Foudini finds something new.
Dsolove
Oct 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A surprisingly enjoyable book "written" by a cat! The friendship between Foudini and his family and "his" dog was quite believable, funny and sad. The bond with the family dog was the most important thing in Foudini's life and matched my experience with one of my cats and "her" dog.
Hilary
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would have appealed to me greatly as a 10-12 year old.
  • The Fur Person
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Guardian Cats and the Lost Books of Alexandria
  • Ignorance, Thy Name Is Bucky: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats
  • Ranch of Dreams: The Country's Most Unusual Sanctuary, Where Every Animal Has a Story
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • Mercy Watson: #1-6 [Boxed Set: Adventures of a Porcine Wonder]
  • Little Joe
  • A Snowflake in My Hand
  • Why Cats Paint: A Theory of Feline Aesthetics
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis Silvestris Catus
  • The Wainscott Weasel