Start by marking “Black Tooth Grin: The High Life, Good Times, and Tragic End of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott” as Want to Read:

Black Tooth Grin is the first biography of “Dimebag” Darrell Abbott, the Texas-bred guitarist of the heavy metal band Pantera, who was murdered onstage in 2004 by a deranged fan—24 years to the day after John Lennon met a similar fate.Darrell Abbott began as a Kiss-inspired teenage prodigy who won dozens of local talent contests. With his brother, drummer Vinnie Abbott, he ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Da Capo Press (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Black Tooth Grin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Tooth Grin

Start your review of Black Tooth Grin: The High Life, Good Times, and Tragic End of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott
Jim
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that morbid curiosity was the reason I picked this one up from the library. Somewhere along the way I had heard something about a guitar virtuoso being gunned down while performing and had to know more about it. I have no interest in the heavy metal music scene, and I admit that prior to this my only involvement with this type of audible entertainment consisted of shouting downstairs for my son to "turn that @#$%^&* racket off!"

Zac Crain competently covers Darrell "Dimebag" Abbot
Adam Light
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the better rock and roll bio's I have read. I enjoyed this one because I have always been a fan of Dimebag. It brought back a lot of memories. I haven't read the one by Rex Brown, but it's on my list to read. Curious to see the difference.
This was very informative and filled with a lot of insights into the Abbott's family life and the crazy, intense party that Darrell brought with him wherever he went. Good stuff. Such a pity how it all ended.
Jarrett
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was really looking forward to reading this as Darrell was my largest guitar inspiration growing up. I mean seeing my buddy playing a "DimeSlime" green Washburn Dimebag Darrell signature model is what made me want to play guitar in the first place!

What I always loved about the articles and interviews I read about him was that not only was he one of the best guitarists in the last 30 years, but he had a big heart. The man loved to party, loved the guitar, and loved his fans. I really enjoyed how
Eve Kay
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read because Dimebag
And disappointed because badly put together

Such disappointment I feel, only a Black Tooth Grin can get me through

What waste of paper this book does hold
As story after story
has already been told

*a very superficial look into a person's life who ruled the art of guitar*
Ian Mcsorley
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The book was cool about how he was just some normal kid in Texas then some guitar whiz to then famous member in Pnatera then to being gunned down on stage. It wasn't cool of him being killed but he is a great musican. I actually made a video yesterday TO THE 6th anniversery of his death which I shall post on facebook. Also I havent fully read the book so hopefully I will buy it then make that my reading book. Getcha pull.
Crystal Moore
I gave this book a 3 star rating.

If your really in to Pantera,read this book. its good for what it is. It skips around alot. I t seems that ive heard most of these stories in interviews over the years. I am a Pantera / Dime fan. I also read Rex Brown's book 101 proof, That's a really good read, to hear about the interworkings, the highs and lows the undoing of one of the greatest heavy metal bands in the world. This is Rexs story, but Rex was in the band.
Deyara
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music, biography
Made me sad all over again reading this, and I've been cranking the Pantera for days. Quite informative and well-written, while it wasnt warts-and-all, it did seem to capture some of the essence that came across in interviews and the videos. Well worth the read.
Daniel DeLappe
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Very shallow book about a pretty much shallow drunken git. Would have liked to learn more about dimebag, but may not be much there to begin with,
GeneralTHC
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a really good bio about Dimebag. I'm given it four stars because I couldn't put it down. Fans should definitely read this. Much better than Rex's book.
Doc
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent insight into Pantera's rise and fall. A little repetitive with the interminable quotes of praise for his playing, but hey the guy was a legend, lots of people said so. Wraps up rather quickly and doesn't focus much on the murder or the aftermath. Left me wondering if Vinnie or Rita ever made amends with Anselmo. Overall a good read and I've been listening to and enjoying Pantera more and more since this book.
Melissa
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a Pantera fan, I was curious to learn more about Dimebag Darrell. I usually stay away from 'rockstar' books in general - usually all fluff. This one was pretty good though - and spoiler alert - it opens with his murder then backtracks to his early life and moves forward.
Aled Owen-Thomas
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this once years ago, picked it off my shelf to read it again but gave up after a few chapters. Pointless read really, no new insights if you're already a fan. Just a collation of interviews garnered from magazines.
Jacob Pedersen
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read. Dimebag was one of the most prolific, influential people who to ever hold a guitar. This book goes in depth about him, his life, his skill, and ability to party. He never had an enemy, and wanted to just have fun. All around great read to a person who died too soon
Kruz
Apr 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. Way too scatterbrained and no chronology to the story being told, I am a fan of Pantera so I was really looking forward to reading this I gave it 100 pages but I'm actually pissed off with this book could of been so much more
Angie
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
It was an interesting read and I liked the writing style. I did learn one or two new things but a lot of the book is a rehash of previous interviews from other publications and already known facts and ends up being a little shallow because of that.
Denise Myers
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Tells you a lot about Dimes life.
Dan Bei
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The story itself is awesome and if done properly would be 5 stars. The book jumps around a lot, and seems like some proper editing was needed.
Christopher John
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant
Goorth Gaming
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Must read if you're a Dimebag Darrell fan!
Justin Sylvia
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
All things considering...that is to say that i didn't & still don't know a whole lot of about the heavy metal apocalypse that was Pantera, i still found this to be a good & Intriguing book. What i didn't know about Pantera as a bad & Dimebag Darrell, i certainly know now. I will admit that their style of metal isn't exactly within range of my taste but i do have 2 of their cd's, Vulgar Display of Power & Reinventing the Steel, on my Ipod, now i may not listen to them very often, for said above r ...more
Pappy
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. While it does go into drinking stories a bit much, it's hard to deny that drinking played a big role in Dimebag's life. The stories all made me want to practice more, play more, write more, and be a better person. All because of stories of Dime. That's a pretty great book.

I also like how much attention was paid toward his guitars. You don't see that very often since they're for a niche market, but Dime was a guitarist before he was a drinker and it's represents nicely.

Overall
merritt
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have to hand it to Zac, I never thought I'd care a lick about Dimebag, Pantera or Damageplan. But the flow and the style of his writing did so much to pull me in.

It made for a very interesting book club meeting!
Paul French
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
After years of guitar magazine interviews with Darrell over the years, there was lots in here that I knew already, but much more new information than I expected. A great tribute and remembrance of Dime's life and his devotion to playing guitar, which were pretty much the same thing.
Janine
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, it made me happy sad. Dime was amazing and I think this book is a great reminder.
I felt a little let down as I thought a lot of the information was from interviews or pantera videos. I was expecting more.
Scott
Apr 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Eh...
Rafael
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a really good book about the biography of this great guitarist. Zac did a good job doing this biography, the biography is very complete and specific.
Edwin Hernández
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
\m/
Tyler G
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
The guy just lived to play great guitar and kick ass music. Good read.
Rod
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great insight to this mans too short life.
A must read for any metal fan
Amandae Melton
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a gread book. easy to read and kept you interested. made you feel like you really knew Dime and like you were there his last night. I recommend this book for any Dimebag or Pantera fan.

• Official Truth, 101 Proof: The Inside Story of Pantera
  • The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star
  • To Live Is To Die: The life and death of Metallica's Cliff Burton
  • I Am Ozzy
  • The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band
  • Permanent Record
  • My Bloody Roots
  • How to Deal with Difficult People: Smart Tactics for Overcoming the Problem People in Your Life
  • Kids Books: Halloween (Spooky Halloween Stories): Spooky Halloween Short Stories for Kids (BONUS: Halloween Jokes Included) (Halloween Stories for Kids)
  • Stress Less, Accomplish More
  • The 13: Tales of Macabre
  • The Haunter (Goosebumps Most Wanted Special Edition, #4)
  • Bringing Metal to the Children: The Complete Berserker's Guide to World Tour Domination
  • Heroin - Living and Dying with an Addict You Love: How to Survive when Everyone Dies
  • 50 Ways To Make Money On Pinterest