Start by marking “The Best Investment Advice I Ever Received: Priceless Wisdom from Warren Buffett, Jim Cramer, Suze Orman, Steve Forbes, and Dozens of Other Top Financial Experts” as Want to Read:

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  252 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A book of quick and practical investment advice from someof the top investors and businesspeople in the world
Published August 1st 2009 by Warner Business Books (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Investment Advice I Ever Received, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Investment Advice I Ever Received

David
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet
Jon
Jun 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
An example of a book that should not have been written much less published.

Liz Claman from CNBC and Fox Business is reenacting her own Greek tragedy by trying to rise above the vacuous business reporting she has spent a career doing, only to become it herself. The book is characterized by a superficial headline approach to supposedly "investing wisdom". The "wisdom" is so general and bland to render it utter and completely useless. Stuff like "diversify" and "if it sounds to good to be true - i
Luke
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
A great investment primer. Many books you read will just try to tell you how to divide your money between different kinds of mutual funds; this book looks at a much wider spectrum. The 'experts' in the book offer advice that is at times clearly contradictory to each other's; as a reader I felt free to pick up the advice that resonated with me and develop my investment strategy.

Recommended before a dive into stocks, bonds, mutual funds, CDs - if you read this book you will really know your option
Robert Volpe
Jan 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Void of any real advice, this book is more a compilation of platitudes, many contradicting. Statements like “avoid foreign markets”are followed by “be sure to invest in foreign markets.” Or “be the first investor” followed by “invest in established companies.” Interestingly this book was published in 2006 with contributors like the CEO of Countrywide (bankrupt in 2008 housing crisis).
Seek real advice elsewhere.
Rick R
Mar 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Boring! It just seems to go on and on with the same brain-numbing advice over and over. Generalized stuff mostly with a few good nuggets here and there.
Paula
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The info here spreads across the spectrum. Some give details that I couldn't really follow and some are very straight forward. I loved the blend, but wish I could comprehend some of it.
Erik
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
The library didn't have the book I wanted, so I picked this one out on a whim. All the book consists of is sixty or so essays by successful investors and businessmen passing along pithy words of investing wisdom. Some of the advice is common knowledge, such as the importance of diversification, keeping some money in cash for a rainy day, and that if an investment seems too good to be true, it probably is. But there is some inspired advice in there. I took several pages of notes while reading the ...more
Aubrey
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've recently been thinking a lot about investing: how to start, the true definition of the terms we hear, and just generally what I should be doing now, while I'm young, to prepare myself financially for my future. I had been doing some research but was really wanting to just hear people talk casually about the topic. Did you ever have that experience in college? Where you sat through lecture for an hour and felt like you got nothing from it, only to step into the professor's office for five mi ...more
Greg
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting advice from many successful investors, but considering the date it was written makes you wonder how many would have said something different if it had been written post-market crash.

Being a beginning investor, I probably need to continue to follow the advice given by many of the experts to purchase an index fund instead of individual stocks.

Not necessarily a good book for a beginner such as myself as I'm sure the advice would make much more sense to somebody who was familiar with th
Kay
May 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There is some great general advice in this book, but so much of it focuses on the stock market that it gets a bit annoying after a while if you're not interested in investing in the stock market. I noticed that while some of the experts contradicted each other, a lot of them tended to say the same things as well, so that was interesting. I'm glad I read this book but it's not my favourite financial advice book.
David
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, audiobooks
I'd classify this closer to interesting than I would invaluable. Nobody is going to learn how to invest from this book, but the all-star collection of advice will give you reinforcement of a few truths, perhaps none more repeated than "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I'm an investing novice at best, but I can't say there was one statement that stood out as revelation. I'd guess that readers will find little if anything new here, just validation.
Don
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
only buy stock with money you can afford to lose, check filed records looking for value, buy when fear, save, diversify, manage risk, to benefit people, no emotions, simple transparent fundamentals, what is brand purpose everything changing, 50% of something not 100% of nothing, fear shame anger selling is harder than buying.
Mohammed Belyamani
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good and concise book... give the redundancy of the concept a good taste to see different items clearly. Diversity, quality stocks, and long terms are the main values to keep in mind while you are building your background and experience in the world of investment.
Tammy Ikram
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this investment compilation. Liz Claman did a great job picking the brightest minds to be contributors for this book. It's great to hear the strategies that have (and have not) worked in building strong portfolios. I took a lot of great ideas from this book. Worth reading.
Jeff Carpenter
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Although this book is a little dated, it still contains some good information. Although the economy is nowhere near as good as it was when this book was written, the principles discussed in this book could still apply today.
Muriel Fang
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
While there are a few 'big names' in this book, the book lacks a coherent message. One investor says 'You need focused investment' while another says 'Choose low cost index fund!'. It does seem to have a large quantity of 'advice', but each one is short and slogan-like.
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one takes you through the real and clear advice successful business people follow to get through their financial management successfully.
Gabe
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Chock full of experts contradicting each other.
Susanna
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read this book three times and absolutely love it. A great personal finance book. Highly recommended.
Lori Tian Sailiata
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Terrific primer. A sampler of investment advice from industry experts. I found a trove of gems to take to heart as well as some strutting and puffery...but even those were educational.
Alana
Jul 29, 2011 added it
"Never underestimate the importance of financial literacy" Stephen P Zeldes p. 212
Deb Holden
Nov 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Nothing but common sense. Short but not much substance.
Alesia
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
great advice but if you follow any of these investors its much of the same advice they have already offered up!
Crystal
Feb 21, 2013
Matthew
Nov 29, 2013
  • The Single Best Investment: Creating Wealth with Dividend Growth
  • Boys Will Put You on a Pedestal (So They Can Look Up Your Skirt): A Dad's Advice for Daughters
  • The Investor's Manifesto: Preparing for Prosperity, Armageddon, and Everything in Between
  • The Future for Investors: Why the Tried and the True Triumph Over the Bold and the New
  • The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • The Way to Wealth
  • Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week!
  • Strategy: An Introduction to Game Theory
  • The Investment Answer
  • Introduction to Type
  • Simple Wealth, Inevitable Wealth, Revised Edition
  • Your Money Map: A Proven 7-Step Guide to True Financial Freedom
  • How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks: The Sirius Puppy Training Manual
  • Missed Fortune 101: A Starter Kit to Becoming a Millionaire
  • Open Ice: Reflections and Confessions of a Hockey Lifer
  • A Knitter's Home Companion: A Heartwarming Collection of Stories, Patterns, and Recipes
  • Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor