Start by marking “Demon Night (The Guardians, #3)” as Want to Read:
Demon Night (The Guardians, #3)

Demon Night

(The Guardians #3)

Meljean Brook returns to explore the seductive corners of the dark, as a forbidden attraction tempts danger under the canopy of the Demon Night.

Charlie Newcomb worked hard to get her life back together. But all that is shaken when she's set upon by three vampires desperate to transform her beauty into something evil. Because Charlie is the vital link to something they want
Mass Market Paperback, 439 pages
Published February 1st 2008 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Demon Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demon Night

Felicia
For the record: I AM OVER VAMPIRES. I've been off the genre for a few months, so going back to this was a struggle, but I enjoyed The Iron Duke so much that I really wanted to try the author's other books, and I'm glad I did!

I think the biggest strength of the author is to create deeper characters than you'd generally see in the genre, and also to avoid the cliche trap. A Cowboy Guardian Angel sounds kinda hokey when I type it, but it was a relief from the cliched confident and urbane dude we us
Katie(babs)
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Meljean Brook is the type of author who continues to blow away readers with her incredible writing. Demon Night is another wonderful submission to her world that showcases the war between the Guardians of Heaven and the Demons of the underworld. And of course don't forget those vampires and other creatures that are bent on destruction.
But with Demon Night, you have two incredible and endearing characters that will go against all odds to be with each other or die trying.
Ethan a.k.a Drifter, is
Sayuri_x
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes intelligent romance with a twist.
Recommended to Sayuri_x by: urban fantasy land
Shelves: paranormal, 2008, 2009, re-read
I loved this book.

I found it slighlty confusing at first as it is the 5th in a series (The 3rd full length) but after the first few pages, I was completely hooked and just couldn't put it down. You don't really need to have read the previous books as this is a great stand alone novel, you just miss some of the worldbuilding.

The book revolves around Charlotte 'Charlie' Newcombe and Ethan 'Drifter' McCabe. Drifter is a 'Guardian' sent to protect Charlie from a vampire threat she is unawre of.

I'm
Melindeeloo
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Brook's Latest Guardian Would Make Even An Angel Want To 'Fall' ,

Before reading Demon Night I just couldn't imagine 'cowboy' guardian Drifter, who was a very minor character in Demon Moon, being a very interesting leading man. Well I'll admit right here, I was wrong. But then I should know better, after all author Brook managed to make the very vain vampire Colin in Demon Moon into a great leading man and she does an even better job here with `Drifter' Ethan McCabe who is really no cowboy.

For
Jen Davis
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hmm. I didn’t enjoy this one as much as I liked the book before it. I’m firmly entrenched in the world-building in this series, which is pretty cool. I understand how things work and I feel like I know most of the key players. I’m definitely down with the series. But I had trouble connecting with this heroine, and even worse, I was frustrated by what felt like ridiculous impediments to their HEA.

Both the hero and heroine were new characters to the series. Ethan is a Guardian, assigned to watch o
Starfire
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Solid 9/10 for this one. I'd been holding off on starting it because it was the first book in the set that didn't revolve around a character I already felt like I'd met and come to know through previous books and short stories. But I'm really, REALLY glad I finally kicked myself up the butt and did.

One of the things Meljean Brook does *wonderfully* is flawed, complex characters who manage to be strong and competent despite their flaws. And in the heroine of this book, Charlie Newcombe, Ms Brook
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
Why there aren't more stars?????This book is GREAT!!!It's worth more than 5 stars!!!
Ashley
Ethan "Drifter" McCabe, a sigh-worthy Guardian who manages to bring sexy back to suspenders-- Wait, were suspenders ever sexy? Probably not but who cares and oh gawd, who can even think straight when Ethan's wearing them?! YUMM-ee!!! Eehhm...what was I doing? Oh right, typing up my review of DEMON NIGHT.

Ethan, once a rebel outlaw of the American West where no lock could contain him, is still busting through locks a century later with his Gift. Well, every lock except for one. When Lucifer reveal
Kathy Davie
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Third in the Guardians paranormal-romance series revolving around a subspecies of angel created from humans who have sacrificed themselves to save another. The couple focus is on Ethan McCabe and Charlie Newcomb and takes place in Seattle.

My Take
This was a bit confusing as I'm reading Darynda Jones' series about a Charley and this one starts with a Charlie. I recommend both series, just don't read them at the same time!

I do love the stories Charlie comes up with! I would read this if all I had w
Christine
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
August 14, 2013 [review update]
I first read this novel more than five years ago and have just finished re-reading it as part of my mission to re-read and catch up in this series as the concluding novel in this series, Guardian Demon just released this week. I didn't think it was possible, but I actually enjoyed this book even MORE this time around. I think it may have something to do with having just re-read the first two books in the series within the last month, so the world building and serie
Samantha
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This series is my new addiction. Ethan is a guardian who has been keeping an eye on Charlie. Charlie is an ex-singer who is struggling to recover her life after a self-destructive streak. She's being watched by the guardians because her sister is currently dating a demon who wants to find a cure for vampires' bloodlust. Unfortunately, the demon has made plans for Charlie in order to secure her sister's cooperation. I wasn't too enamored with this one. The storyline was good, but I felt like it d ...more
Erin
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first two books of this series, and I really, really wanted to love them. I think Meljean is a class act, funny, interesting, and I really wanted to love her books. I'd have to say that I liked those books, but I didn't have a sense of urgency about reading this book. The TBR pile is large, and I kept pushing this book back in favor of other reads I was more excited about. Then I read Meljean's blog entry about trying Demon Night if you couldn't get into the earlier books in the serie ...more
Edoftheworld
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was fighting to give either 3 or 4 stars for this book.

4 stars because I love Charlie. She is strong, unlike fragile and weak females. She has attitude and a courage to face life. How can one still want to live after going through and losing what she had? Truly admiriable. Yes, her life was a downward spiral a few years before, but she got up. And went head on against life, avoiding things that she likes because then she would not be dependent on them, like before.

Also, though this book is twi
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Another great story by Meljean. The story of Ethan and Charlie is another amazing and emotionally satisfying tale. Meljean does a great job of presenting two sides of a love story. Normally, I am not a big fan of the "emotional baggage barriers" that can artifically separate a couple from each other and their HEA. I think it's because if the couple would just attempt to talk they would see each is being silly. But not so with Ethan and Charlie. Each has fears and the story is developed just righ ...more
Bree

Reread in April 2013.
Re-read in October 2011.
Moarbooxpls
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Love the author and am enjoying the series overall but this one was not my favorite.
Natasha  A.
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Took me a bit to get into because I skipped the first two in the series but I definitely enjoyed. I'm going to have to check Ms. Brook's website to see if there is a Guardian encyclopedia...
Patricia
In short: Check out the quotes, remember that I love Meljean and that I'm a very picky person. Yes, you will most likely love at least one installment and go crazy about Michael, which is why you'll love the rest of the series as well. Or you'll fall in love with the worldbuilding, the complex characters, you name it. And then, you. will. love. the. series.

In long:

Demon Night was amazing. I've already read all the books that have been published until now – so the first 7 novels and novellas – bu
Lena
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, favorite-ships
He's a charming cowboy guardian angel! She's a rich, multifaceted character who I'm pretty damned sure is unique in the paranormal romance genre -- an ordinary human, an alcoholic trying not to relapse, an amazingly tough woman trying to rebuild her life and fight against her own neediness and struggling to deal with all the supernatural bullshit at the same time.

Charlie is amazingly strong. And seriously, the romantic tension is beyond compare -- it's all heartache and tenderness and despair bu
Divania Timmal-Jones
This was...just okay. Neither character did much for me. The millions of references to Charlie's neediness became a bit frustrating. I also found the end drama about figuring her out really stupid. It was unnecessary and just pages' worth of hurt feelings and internal monologue. Also, how slow could either of them be?! I was just like, COME ONNNNNN now this shouldn't be this difficult to guess!

The story was also a bit confusing. I am usually fine with following complex plots, but this was just c
KindleJo Jo
Guilt, addiction, rage, redemption, sex, love, and kicking arse all over Seattle and San Francisco. Demon Night has it all. I love this book so very much <3 <3 <3
Joprah
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
da best novel ever
This was quite what I expected - another brainy paranormal romance from Meljean Brook! I did enjoy it, although not quite as much as the first and even a little less than the second in the Guardian series. I found it to be quite as I expected (not a bad thing) - a sizzling hot romance, an overall plot that is not really very memorable, and some "huh?" moments as I struggle to keep up with some of the characters' internal journeys.

In this case, the romance is between Ethan, a high plans drifter
Estara
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
Chechoui
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it
You don't have to have read books one and two to jump into this book. The covers of books one and two are just so awful that I couldn't bring myself to check them out from the library, so I had to skip to book 3. Yes, I am a cover snob. Brook creates a very interesting world that draws you in. I like that the protagonist, Charlie, unfolds slowly and her past is not laid out for you, but rather you get hints here and there throughout the book to put together. I felt like the book started off stro ...more
Jocelyn No
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
My Meljean Brook reading glut continues!

This book was one of the most professionally crafted of this series, but is weirdly my least favorite. The hero was a cowboy (now an immortal guardian) and the heroine was a recovering alcoholic.

I really liked how the book talked about her struggle to get over that, how it wrecked her life and relationships. I liked that it talked about how her default emotional state was one way, and how she'd become strong by struggling against that. I kind of wish ther
Lin
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Once again - loved it! The Guardian's is fast becoming my fav series (well at least until another Guild Hunter book comes out)

This one is about Charlie, a scarred barmaid whose being targeted by vampires due to her sisters involvement in research into blood for Legion pharmaceuticals (love the name, guess who runs that one). Protecting her is Ethan 'drifer' McCabe, a cowboy guardian who was actually introduced in Demon Moon (though this took me a while to remember when), along with novice Jake (
Hbeebti
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was seriously curious about this book. I mean yeah there wasn't a lot about Drifter/Ethan, in other books but man I wanted to know more ,he was just one of those characters. So here it is Ethan is by far my favorite. Usually I don't care for true cowboys that much. But holy smokes he was HOT!! Love him!!!!!!

I felt like on some levels I could totally relate to Charlie. She thinks of herself as slow. Takes more time to gather her thoughts and process things. For me that was unusual in books tha
Jensownzoo
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Oooh, I liked this one. It even made me tear up at the end. This is the first book that I've read by this author and I will definitely be scoring some more. I realize that this book is the third in the series, but the author does a really good job at bringing a newbie up to speed without infodumping all over the place. And she didn't abandon characters from her previous installments, either, which is nice.

I liked the character of Charlie--damaged but strong, but a strength that she has to fight
The Window Seat
Jul 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Going in to this book, I had no idea who Ethan - the hero - was. If you are hesitating to read it, Ethan is Drifter's real name... so that may help a bit... though for me, it didn't because I barely remembered Drifter either!

Drifter is a Guardian that is on assignment in Seattle to watch over the sister of a scientist studying... well, they aren't really sure, but since a demon is funding it, they know that it can't be good for the guardians or for humans. Since the "MO" of the demons is to tran
  • First Blood (Laws of the Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #3.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5)
  • Hot Spell (Demon World, #2; Breeds, #5.5; The Guardians, Prequel)
  • A Witch's Beauty (Daughters of Arianne, #2)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea #3.5; Psy-Changeling #0.6; Iron Seas #0.5)
  • Angels Of Darkness (Alphas, #0.5; Guild Hunter, #3.5; The Guardians, #7.5; Samaria)
  • Beyond Fearless (Beyond, #2)
  • Vowed in Shadows (Marked Souls, #3)
  • My Forbidden Desire (My Immortals #2)
  • Drawn Into Darkness (Soul Gatherer, #1)
  • Forgotten Sea (Children of the Sea, #5)
  • Shadow Marked (Demon Bound, #1)
  • Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, #2)
  • Skin Game (Skin, #1)
  • Scorched: The Dark Forgotten
  • Bonds of Justice (Psy-Changeling #8)
  • Haunted by Your Touch  (Doomsday Brethren #3.5, Moon Chasers, #4.5)
  • Bond of Fire (Texas Vampires, #2)
Book info: I am the author of the Iron Seas steampunk romance series. I've written a guide to the world (including a map) on my website.

I also write a paranormal romance series, the Guardians. That series guide is also on my website, including a "The Story So Far" feature, which allows you to catch up on all of the books that previously released in the series if you start after the first installm

The Guardians (8 books)
  • Demon Angel (The Guardians, #1)
  • Demon Moon (The Guardians, #2)
  • Demon Bound (The Guardians, #4)
  • Demon Forged  (The Guardians, #5)
  • Demon Blood (The Guardians, #6)
  • Demon Marked (The Guardians, #7)
  • Guardian Demon (The Guardians, #8)
“Mine crept up on me instead of hitting me fast, but after a while, it was the same—so that if I didn't have a…a salve, I couldn't function, and I'd start planning my day around just getting it," she said quietly, and had to swallow before she continued. "And you tell yourself that it makes you feel good—but really, you're just getting by. Because you feel like shit with it, but you really feel like shit without it, so you need it to get through the day. And after a while, you‟re desperate to get through the day without it, but know that stopping will feel worse than going—and you don't know if you're clinging to it as much as it‟s clinging to you. But you‟re constantly looking for a way to get rid of it without hurting yourself…but there‟s no way. And eventually you hate it as much as you need it. (..) So I never, ever want to be anybody's salve.” 5 likes