Start by marking “Sins of the Brother: The Definitive Story of Ivan Milat and the Backpacker Murders” as Want to Read:

Tells the story of Ivan Milat, convicted of the serial backpacker murders in the Belanglo State Forest. Describes his childhood and his relationship with his large family, particularly with his brothers. Examines the events leading up to the killings, the police investigations and the aftermath of Milat's arrest. Draws extensively on personal interviews with members of the ...more
Unknown Binding, 533 pages
Published 1998 by Pan Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about Sins of the Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sins of the Brother

Tracey
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is chilling and Mark Whittaker has done a marvellous job of capturing not just the murders Ivan Milat committed but a seriously dysfunctional family.
As you read this book, you continually shake your head in disbelief as surely none of this can be true. It is and that is what is chilling,
Seriously if you love true crime novels this is very insightful case study of a horrendous group of crimes.
Rob Weedon
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the discovery of the seventh victim's body in the Belanglo forest, the investigating task force compiled a list of 2000 persons of interest. Two thousand!
Lock your doors, there's another world out there and it's not nice.
Nat
Strangely enough, I've never been a fan of Australian crime, despite being Australian myself. Then four years ago I started studying and realised that's it's probably best I start getting to know it. So, I may be one of the few Aussies that didn't really know anything about one our of most infamous serial killers, Ivan Milat, AKA the backpack murderer.

I can announce that I'm happy to have read this book because it is truly a fascinating and complex case!
The book itself is 526 pages long, so you
Maggie
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating account of the crimes known as The Backpacker Murders, committed in early 1990's in Belanglo Forest, NSW. Whilst the book could have dwelt on the gruesome side of these crimes, no details other than saying some one was shot or stabbed were given. This makes for a less sensational read and a far more interesting one. Early on the authors say something like this is a book about crime and justice not about the murders, and I appreciated it.

The authors examine in detail the Milat fami
Jen Roe
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a scarey book I think there was a few involved in this case I can't see how he could have done all the killings by himself
Donna
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Epic.

Having seen the mini-series "Catching Milat" only weeks before spotting this book at the library, I snatched it up and literally started reading it right there, and I was not disappointed.

This book covers the lives of the entire Milat family, as well as many of their friends and workmates, for decades and decades, very clearly illustrating how things developed. It's very personal, very interesting and very depressing. You can't help but think, while you're reading, that if "this" had been
♥ Marlene♥
I have read about one third of this book. The beginning reminds me a bit of the book about Bonnie and Clyde
Go Down Together The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde by Jeff Guinn.
It is about a huge family with lots of boys going wild. That was the case with Clyde's family and with Ivan Milat's family. Mom always thought the cops were picking on her poor boys.

The part I am reading now involves the young people that loved to travel and I think the writing is very good. Do not know much about this case besides that a man from the UK was a witness.

Update a week late
Tracey
Apr 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This is a really interesting book that looks not just as Ivan Milat and the Backpack Murders but his family and the investigation.
Parts of this book make you truly wonder about the ability of people to do evil things. The author, does a good job at presenting the facts.
Letitia
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
The Backpacker murders are a chilling part of Australian history and this book captures the horror and fear Ivan Milat struck in the hearts of, not just Australians, but the world. Very well written and researched. It also begs the question, Did Ivan Milat act alone?
Teegan Davey
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was very well written and surely makes you think. Highly recommended
Tara
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chilling. Absolutely chilling. Brilliantly compiled. And eye opening if you thought Ivan Milat worked alone...
Xanthi
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is comprehensive. A very large chunk of it is about the Milat family history. I was at first wondering why the authors were including so much detail about them but it eventually became apparent. With 14 children and a pretty lawless upbringing many of them grew up to be criminals. ( This family is a case in study for the whole nature versus nurture debate.) To focus just on Ivan would have been to tell only half of the story. His family certainly had a part to play in that some of them ...more
James Leahy
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good
Malakai TOHI
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'll never hitch a ride. Not that I ever have, but this book has confirmed for me why I would never hitch a ride. With strangers. In the middle of nowhere.
Natalie
This book was fantastic. I was actually disappointed when it was coming closer to the end, as I had really enjoyed reading it and wanted to continue that. I found myself reading massive parts each day, because it was actually quite a big book to get through compared to the others I had been reading as of late. The book started way back at the beginning with Ivan Milat's parents and their families, and how they grew up, right through to his childhood as well as that of his brothers and sisters. I ...more
Fraser
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Chilling account of the Belangalo murders and other unsolved related muders, covering all the interesting technical aspects of the cases, such as the forensics, ballistic experts and data matching. Very exciting read! There were excessive details on the background of each of the vitcims, but the importance of the details become apparent as the case against Milat builds.
Rosie Pudsey
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I must admit Im addicted to true stories and this one had me reading rapidly from start to finish.It was so descriptive you could actually see it all happening before your eyes.I still wonder if Ivans brother was involved somehow.
Dane Procter
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Only one word... Disturbing
Craig
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A careful and intelligent examination of the forensic evidence gathered by police in the investigation of numerous murders committed by Ivan Milat and ( almost certainly ) his brothers.
Fiona
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
very interesting book - and very scary to think about people like this in our world
Rosemary Overell
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best true crime book I've ever read
Holly
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Scary and sensationalist
Alex
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent true crime account of the depredations of the execrable Australian serial killer, Ivan Milat.
Amy Johnston
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Information v. good, writing style annoying in parts
Man
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Murder of Allison Baden-Clay
  • Killing for Pleasure: The Definitive Story of the Snowtown Murders
  • Blood Stain
  • Nameless Indignities: Unraveling the Mystery of One of Illinois's Most Infamous Crimes
  • Overboard!: A True Blue-Water Odyssey of Disaster and Survival
  • Eugenia
  • Razor: Tilly Devine, Kate Leigh and the Razor Gangs
  • Type: The Secret History of Letters
  • In the Wake of the Butcher: Cleveland's Torso Murders
  • Brick City: Global Icons to Make from Lego
  • Kinglake-350
  • Prescription for Murder: The True Story of Mass Murderer Dr. Harold Frederick Shipman
  • Visual Aid: Stuff You've Forgotten, Things You Never Thought You Knew, and Lessons You Didn't Quite Get Around to Learning
  • The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body, and Design
  • The Titanic Conspiracy: Cover-Ups and Mysteries of the World's Most Famous Sea Disaster
  • Typographic Systems of Design