Start by marking “Gilles Deleuze” as Want to Read:
Gilles Deleuze

Gilles Deleuze

(Routledge Critical Thinkers)

Why think? Not, according to Gilles Deleuze, in order to be clever, but because thinking transforms life. Why read literature? Not for pure entertainment, Deleuze tells us, but because literature can recreate the boundaries of life. With his emphasis on creation, the future and the enhancement of life, along with his crusade against 'common sense', Deleuze offers some of ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Taylor and Francis (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Gilles Deleuze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gilles Deleuze

Start your review of Gilles Deleuze
فؤاد
اصل ايدۀ دولوز سرراست است: جهان را نبايد به مثابه وجودها و ساختارهاى ثابت درک كرد، بلكه بايد سيلان و صيرورت را عنصر اساسى جهان و حيات دانست، و اين صيرورت در يک خط راست و قابل پيش بينى اتفاق نمى افتد، بلكه به صورت شبكه اى واگرا از حركت هاى غيرقابل پيش بينى رخ مى دهد. هر رویداد حرکتی جدید در جهان ایجاد می کند که برای جهان پیش از آن قابل درک نبوده است. اما چون درک اين جهان پيچيده ساده نيست، تفكر عامه همه چيز را ساده مى كند و به وجودها و ساختارهاى ثابت مورد نيازش تقليل مى دهد. كار فلسفه اين است كه ...more
Trevor
It was just one of those parties – I mean, no one really expected it to turn out in the way that it did. Hegel had been drinking bottle after bottle of some sort of sweet Rhine wine and sharing big glasses of it with Darwin. Nietzsche and Heidegger were passing a joint between themselves while Freud had been lining up shots of schnapps all night all on his own. The sex thing that suddenly happened between them all was completely unexpected, as was the child it produced – none of them afterwards ...more
Amin Dorosti
متاسفانه ترجمه کتاب آنقدر بد و ضعیف بود که از خواندن ادامه کتاب دست کشیدم و در حال خواندن نسخه انگلیسی کتاب هستم. ای کاش این گونه مترجمان اندکی اندکی اندکی هم وجدان کاری داشتند و صرفا در پی آن نبودند که اسمشان روی کتابی برود که درباره ژیل دولوز است!
Jon
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is something about Deleuze that primes my brain and allows my thought patterns to fire on synapses that are otherwise underutilized. I walk around in a haze of connections. For me, that is essentially what Deleuze is about – pushing the boundaries of thought beyond any limits previously achieved in order to continually become. In many ways I find reading him like a philosophical-self-help-feel-goody-indulgence. The leap from Being to Becoming is a simple device that is ultimately more ...more
Michael
180315: well. of all the several books read on deleuze, this is the one to rec as the first one. not surprisingly, this is not written by the man himself, this one simplifies, explains, organizes, his thought from an inquiring student perspective. wish i had read this first, i am fairly certain it is not the other work read that makes this easy to follow. for me, anyway...

d has an interesting conception of ways of thought- of art, science, philosophy- that works for me, mainly, philosophy
M. Sarki
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I love reading Gilles Deleuze. I do not like so much reading what others have to say about him. I also do not like Deleuze explained in any way to me. I like owning my own interpretations. This book was OK, glad I read it, used it for a 2013 summer morning meditation of sorts, but I doubt I will ever read it again and could have lived without it. But still, Claire Colebrook obviously loves Deleuze as much as others who do, and it is always good to hear from smart acolytes. Anyone wanting to ...more
Diba
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately I could not find this Routledge a helpful one for a person who wants to get introduced to Deleuze. I guess I was lucky that I had read some books before this one. This was neither enough nor coherent. Deleuze's theories have been presented randomly without any connection and most of the time, as a book that is working as an introduction, the sentences needed further explanations.
Roya
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impossibly Extraordinary.
Obaid
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's a simple-looking-intro on deleuze on overdrive -- every fucking sentence is a assertive thesis found somewhere in the body of deleuze's work; read it all in one sitting and you're likely to spontaneously combust.
M&A Ed
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
روایت کتاب به سختی پیش می رفت. شاید یکی از دلایل آن، ترجمه سنگین کتاب بود یا اینکه به دلیل عدم آشنایی من با کتب اولیه دلوز باشد.اینکه بهتر باشد با کتاب" پروست و نشانه ها" خوانش دلوز را آغاز کنیم.
در مجموع اندیشه های دلوز در ارتباط با "صیرورت"، "حیوان شدن" و "زن شدن" جالب توجه بود!
Lewis Manalo
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mind is blown. . . I haven't read this entire book - the ideas are a bit too much for my little brain to take in one reading (and this is only an intro). Deleuze is a key Post-Structuralist, and though I have my reservations about some of that school of thought, Deleuze is a liberating thinker.

In broad strokes, the basics as I understand them are that identity does not exist. There is only difference and becoming (ie, that what makes a thing different and the process of that thing becoming
Karl Hallbjörnsson
Pretty good but in truth I enjoyed her other book on Deleuze, Understanding Deleuze, a lot more
Taygun Özbıçakçı
It is hard to follow, harder to understand. But I guess thats why we ended up reading Deleuze. Colebrook has lots of works in which she interprets Deleuze not to make him simpler but lets say a bit understandable. I had a copy of the Turkish translation it was the translation of 2002, Routledge.
Hossein
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: critical-theory
Awesome. It helps a lot if you wanna analyze the issues of racism and colonialism through the perspective of Gilles Deleuze. It also explains the philosopher's key terms.
Shane Starling
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a start. I think...
Ivan Labayne
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philo
The best exhortation: be not yourself, be who you are not, surpass yourself, think of what you can be and will be and this world will be
Steve Chisnell
Jan 23, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Pursuing Deleuze for prep on my podcast with this primer. Predictably, precise and provocative!
Scarlet
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't know how she did it but I now understand what the plane of immanence is Claire- I u ...more
Jacob
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleuze

A strong introduction to the work of Deleuze, with a focus on all of his work. Colebrook is succinct in her introduction to so many Deleuzian concepts such as time-image, becoming, sense, affect, etc. Key to the text is Deleuze's distinction between art and philosophy – wherein art presents the realm of affect and philosophy presents the realm of action. This would be a valuable book to anyone interested in learning more about the work of this french thinker.
Seán Hudson
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this. I mean, you can tell that this was written for literature students, with the focus increasingly on the ramifications for art after Deleuze – but being a literature student, I'm totally happy with that. Aside from being a little repetitive (even IF all repetition is ultimately difference), Colebrook does a great job of elucidating Deleuze, and the real achievement of this book is to make new ways of living available to a wider audience. Nice one.
Razi
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot to offer to the students of literature but lacking in more general philosophical concepts. I wanted to know more about Deleuze and Guattari's ideas on Schizophrenia, "schizoids", and warmachines but this book is totally focused on literature and ontology. Still a very clear and concise introduction to a very complex thinker, so much so that I have finally picked up my first Deleuzian text and started reading after a hesitation of many years.
Soroosh
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book but I think it could be more useful for someone coming to Deleuze for the first time. I think Todd May's "Gilles Deleuze: An Introduction" is more vivid for beginners. But after you have gained some information about Deleuze the book is a great help to proceed.
Peter N.
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Great introduction to Deleuze. Gives you enough of a handle on the key concepts to start reading Deleuze for yourself, and shows enough examples of why his work is useful to make you care - which is really the best you can hope for.
Pejman
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A book to simplify one of the most complicate philosophers in 20th century. Although, Deleuze is not as much easy as Colebrook tries to show but this book is a good step to understand Deleuze's philosophy.
David
May 07, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I like this book, but I wish that some of the key ideas such as "immanence" were given more coverage. Perhaps it would have been better if the rest of the book were somehow mediated through this, and other key ideas.
Brian
Sep 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an extremely helpful introduction to Delueze's ideas and how they might be applied to academic discourses of all types.
Sigrun Hodne
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay, philosophy
The best book on Deleuze I have ever read (and it is not the first ... :)
Melissa Engberg
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I'm mildly embarrassed that I needed to read a secondary text, but this was a great choice. Really attacks the density of Deleuze's discourse and makes it more comprehensible.
Mae
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lucid, concise introduction to the core ideas in Deleuze's work.

• Foucault
  • Foucault: A Very Short Introduction
  • On the Genealogy of Morals
  • Millennium Approaches (Angels in America #1)
  • Spinoza: Practical Philosophy
  • Housewives of Japan: An Ethnography of Real Lives and Consumerized Domesticity
  • The Postmodern
  • A Tokyo Romance: A Memoir
  • Flappers and Philosophers
  • Youth
  • Feminism And Youth Culture
  • The Japanese Family in Transition: From the Professional Housewife Ideal to the Dilemmas of Choice
  • Permafrost
  • Emerson: The Mind on Fire
  • Gilles Deleuze: An Introduction
  • Modern Love: True Stories of Love, Loss, and Redemption
  • Dear Friend, from My Life I Write to You in Your Life
  • Henry David Thoreau: A Life
Claire Colebrook is an Australian cultural theorist, currently appointed Edwin Erle Sparks Professor of English at Pennsylvania State University. She has published numerous works on Gilles Deleuze, visual art, poetry, queer theory, film studies, contemporary literature, theory, cultural studies and visual culture.

Routledge Critical Thinkers (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Roland Barthes
  • Jean Baudrillard
  • Maurice Blanchot
  • Judith Butler (Routledge Critical Thinkers)
  • Jacques Derrida
  • Michel Foucault (Routledge Critical Thinkers)
  • Giorgio Agamben
  • Sigmund Freud
  • Jean-Paul Sartre
  • Martin Heidegger
“A problem is a way of creating a future. When plants grow and evolve they do so by way of problems, developing features to avoid predators, to maximise light or to retain moisture.” 1 likes
“Literature is the power of fiction itself: not making a claim about what the world is, but about the imagination of a possible world.” 1 likes