Start by marking “Seeking Diversity: Language Arts with Adolescents” as Want to Read:
Seeking Diversity: Language Arts with Adolescents

Seeking Diversity: Language Arts with Adolescents

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Seeking Diversity is the result of watching, listening to, and learning from adolescents. It is also about a teacher, a learner engaged in the process of coming to know herself as a reader and writer in her own classroom. It is a chronicle of apprenticeship, where the students do astonishing things as readers and writers because their teacher believes they can, because she ...more
Published December 2nd 1991 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about Seeking Diversity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeking Diversity

Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
For anyone aspiring to become a language arts/English teacher! This book will teach you how to transform a classroom into a place where students can truly find their own voice and express it through their writing. I loved the ideas Rief presents!!! Not to mention, the handy appendices that you can use in your own class!
Kristin Weller
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this years ago near the beginning of my teaching career. Linda Rief makes a great case for individualized writing instruction via a workshop approach -- something lost on money-hungry testing services which seem to have infected our current education system like malaria.
Paul Simpson
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rief's book Seeking Diversity was a wonderful read. It gave me such practical tools to put into effect in my classroom. Her thorough discussion of a Reader's-Writer's Log gave me the help I was needing. I have done Notebooks several ways and hers was a new paradigm that I must try. It was also helpful in her discussion of how she graded these, how students moved from rough draft to publication, and incorporating reading and writing together.

Grading in English to me has been a nuisance. How do y
Travis
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and thought-provoking.
Dominic
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm inspired by this book for so many reasons. Not only is it jammed packed with writing, reading and teaching reminders, but it is the sort of book I aspire to write one day: a steady glimpse into the life of a dedicated, passionate educator with a unique vision. It's rich enough to be savored over multiple days (which I did), and feels very fresh and timeless, although it is over twenty years old. Her book stands on the shoulders of some of my most respected educators—Nancie Atwell, Tom Romano ...more
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher
Rief gave me new ideas on assessment and management of readers' and writers' workshops with large numbers of students.
Daniel
Oct 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
a great book for teachers!
Susan
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The first book that truly taught me how to teach.
Rhonda
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Though Atwell's "In the Middle" showed me what the reading/writing workshop should be, Rief gave me the permission to design a workshop that would work with my students.
Mark Isero
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Though I appreciated the stories about working with students, I found this book a bit unnecessarily long. Maybe it's just that I, a high school teacher, was outside the author's primary audience.
Josh