Start by marking “Ladykiller: Stories” as Want to Read:
Ladykiller: Stories

Ladykiller: Stories

Ladykiller is the astonishing debut collection of seven smart stories from an exciting new voice in Canadian literature. Charlotte Gill is a brilliant young writer who is not afraid to stare down the truth and shame the devil. She conjures compelling stories about escape, self-sabotage, and the power of unconscious desire. A couple plots against a crying baby in the apartment below ...more
Published March 19th 2005 by Thomas Allen Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Ladykiller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladykiller

Start your review of Ladykiller: Stories
Jessica-Robyn
I'm calling this one and marking it a DNF.

Charlotte Gill is an author I really wanted to like. In the Canadian literary scene her books are often very well praised so naturally I knew I had to read one of her books when given the chance. Unfortunately, the stories in this collection just didn't leave me feeling satisfied.

Although Gill can clearly write a good short story in a technical sense, the storytelling itself wasn't what I consider a good time. The characters and subject matter were oft
chantelle
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't know. Some parts were incredible and raw but I found that most of the story slipped into cliches and fluffy language.
Elisa
Overall the stories in this collection provided interesting reading in the form of intense characters, absurd obsessions, toxic relationships and extremely bad life choices. “You Drive,” “Homology,” and “Island of Flowers” were the most engaging and poignant for me personally but all of the stories had something. Honestly, I was expecting to like this collection more than I did and I can’t exactly put my finger on why I didn’t. I think it was the lack of difference in narrators and voice, every ...more
Ruth Seeley
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm always delighted to discover a fresh voice, especially when it's a short story writer. Charlotte Gill is precisely that. Whether she's writing about a pot dealer with ambivalent feelings for his girlfriend (whom he seems to have acquired while in a bit of a fugue state, as if he were grocery shopping on autopilot), twins locked into a love/hate relationship with each other, or a woman who ends up having an affair with her professor and watching her life unravel as a result, this is great wri ...more
Terra
Oct 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Wow. This was a horrible book. The characters were thin and unlikeable, the stories underdeveloped and stopped abruptly without making sense. Not entirely what drove me to read the book in its entirety other than a driving sense of "it must get better", which it doesn't.
Sadly, the potential of these stories falls short of being even flaccid. How depressing - Canadian books always seem to fall short.
Ann Douglas
Tracy
Jun 02, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was not a novel as I thought it was when I brought it home from the library. It was a series of short stories. I don't particularly like short stories, because they are too short. And they remind me of school.
Natalie
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club-reads
The first story was perfection, but then only one other story came close, in my opinion. I found the tone of each story a little too similar and too many of the protagonists were relatable for my liking.
Jenn
May 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
I had 2.5 stories left and gave up. I found that they all had a really depressing tone to them and all ended fairly badly. I figured I'd never enjoy what was left and have decided to move on to something else.
Bridget
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bloody awesome.
Tricia Dower
Jan 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Seen stories that pack a punch with fresh prose and unusual characters. I especially liked "Open Water" and "Homotology." All but one was in present tense, however; I would have liked more variety.
Georgiana
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
I like her writing style, but the sheer obnoxiousness of the characters got overwhelming about halfway through.
cStories eBook Singles
Each story now offered as a cStories eBook Single! Check it out - http://win.cstories.ca !
Robert Pearson

• Priestdaddy
  • The Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable
  • A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America
  • Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right
Charlotte Gill is the Canadian author of the short story collection Ladykiller, a finalist for the Governor General’s Literary Award for fiction and winner of the Danuta Gleed Award and the B.C. Book Prize for fiction. Her work has appeared in Best Canadian Stories, The Journey Prize Stories, and many magazines. She lives on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia.