Start by marking “Animals in Flight” as Want to Read:
Animals in Flight

Animals in Flight

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Wings carry tiny insects, fluttering butterflies, backyard birds, and they even propelled some dinosaurs up and through the skies. Find out how, when, and why birds and beasts have taken to the air, and discover how wings work in this informative and brilliantly illustrated book about flight.
Published October 29th 2001 by Houghton Mifflin

To ask other readers questions about Animals in Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animals in Flight

Lara Ivey
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated book about animals that fly will hold your attention for hours. Each page is filled with information on many levels. You have a basic fact as well as more detailed information for those who are ready for more. Definitely a great book to share with almost any age.

Art: Using a similar technique to the “cut paper collage” in this book, try your hand at it with an animal from this story or one of your choice.

Math: Get our your measuring tools! There are many facts shared
Hannah
An excellent book about birds and how they fly!!! Has a small portion about evolution.
Karin
Another beautifully done picture book! I guess I only do reviews on the picture books that I really like, so if they're in my shelve then kudos to the authors and illustrators.

As for this particular book- it's non-fiction and tells the story of flight thru the millennia, starting with insects and dinosaur-type birds and ending with facts about the wonderful birds we have today. The basic story line is great for pre-schoolers; my animal-loving 7 yr old enjoyed the facts and info that went along w
Cindi
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book gives an overview of the history of flight (i.e. evolution), basics on how flight is possible, and some amazing facts about animals that fly (speed records, wingspan records, etc.) As always, Steve Jenkins produces a wonderful non-fiction book that is entertaining, beautiful, and informative. I would have liked to see a little more information in this book. We've got another one here on flight by Nic Bishop that may fill the gaps!
Michelle
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
I am normally a big fan of color photographs in my non-fiction- especially non -fiction about animals...but I must admit that I really, REALLY enjoy the cut paper illustrations in Jenkins books. I also really enjoy how there is a short story pulling the book together but there are also small sidebars that give interesting facts. I always learn something new.
Megan
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-non-fiction
Chock full of fascinating facts and gorgeous collages. They did it yet again.
Amena
Reader
Mar 29, 2014
Joanna
May 03, 2017
Steve was born in 1952 in Hickory, North Carolina. His father, who would become a physics professor and astronomer (and recently hid co-author on a book about the Solar System), was in the military and, later, working on science degrees at several different universities. We moved often. Steve lived in North Carolina, Panama, Virginia, Kansas, and Colorado. Wherever ee lived, he kept a menagerie of ...more