Start by marking “The Pearl-fishers” as Want to Read:
The Pearl-fishers

The Pearl-fishers

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
When a family of travelling pearl-fishers arrives in a small Scottish town, the inhabitants react in their own different ways, from warmth to outright rejection. But how will they respond when love seems to blossom between local man Gavin Hamilton and the beautiful pearl-fisher Effie? The Pearl-fishers is a classic love story and the master storyteller’s last novel.
Paperback
Published April 1st 2007 by Birlinn Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Pearl-fishers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pearl-fishers

Dave
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: scotland
In fairness to the author, this wasn't published during his lifetime. It definitely lacks the polish of a finished work, but it's worth reading if you're a fan as it provides a snapshot of a work in progress. There's a lot of good raw material here, but it's far from a finished novel.
Kimbofo
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Several years ago I read Robin Jenkins' A Very Scotch Affair and was so enamoured by it I bought several more of his novels — he has 30 to his name. Unfortunately, when I purchased The Pearl-fishers, which was heavily discounted as a Kindle edition, I hadn't clocked it was a "lost" novel, the manuscript for which was found in a drawer after his death and published posthumously. I think this might explain why the book has a sort of unfinished feel to it and why I felt reading it was a waste of ti ...more
James Mils
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is the first of Robin Jenkins' work I have read thus far, in hindsight it probably wasn't a good place to begin as it was published after his death. It is an enjoyable light read. However, for me the characters seemed a little under developed. This isn't so much a problem with the character of Gavin Hamilton whom is already developed in "A Would-Be Saint" (a novel I am still to read) but bothered me when it came to Effie, I really wanted to like her but like Hamilton I never really felt tha ...more
Isabel Dennis
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, which was published after the author had passed away from a manuscript that his family discovered when clearing his house. Jenkins' writing style is almost conversational - I can imagine him telling me the story.

The story is set in Scotland and is about a family of travellers who experience prejudice because they live the life of tinkers, although they are pearl fishers. The reader is taken on an emotional journey through the eyes of the main character, Effie, who sees a cha
Claire
May 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's been suggested that this book, found after Robin Jenkins' death, was unfinished. After reading, I have to agree. It feels like he's drafted the novel, deciding what was going to happen and when but the characters are weak. Certainly, for me, not as well developed as his characters in, for example, The Cone Gatherers or Fergus Lamont. It's a very fast read and at times it feels like reading a children's book.

If you haven't read another book by Jenkins, don't base your opinion of him as an a
Tris
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: peachfire
Fiona
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Thought the book was beautiful, insightful and simple. The book was found in the author drawer after his death by his daughter who wasn't sure if it was complete. I feel that this is the beginning of what would have been a much more complex and tragic novel. I enjoyed if but did feel as if there was more and ending where it did seemed to lack the depth that a fuller, longer novel would provide. I will definitely read more of Robin Jenkin's work.
Robb
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great! This is the second book by Jenkins and the first love story I have read. Rather short, but really a great little read. I think this novel builds suspense rather than description, even now I see Effie as totally different compared to how she is described in the book. The ending-great. Will she be all those things, well considering they braved the storm I say Yes!
Hannah
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-classic
Just a nice little love story? I enjoyed it.
K
Jul 28, 2017
Charlie
Apr 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Author of a number of landmark novels including The Cone Gatherers, The Changeling, Happy for the Child, The Thistle and the Grail and Guests of War, Jenkins is recognised as one of Scotland's greatest writers. The themes of good and evil, of innocence lost, of fraudulence, cruelty and redemption shine through his work. His novels, shot through with ambiguity, are rarely about what they seem. He p ...more
More about Robin Jenkins...