Start by marking “Legacy of Love” as Want to Read:
Legacy of Love

Legacy of Love (Legacy Saga #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Told from the eyes of three different women, in three different time periods, "Legacy of Love traces" the story of one family's passions.Charlotte is the first -- wildly beautiful and wildly frustrated -- she married her soldier husband solely to escape from the claustrophobic respectability of Victorian life in Richmond, England. When she reaches the British lines in Kabu ...more
Published October 9th 2000 by Viking Adult (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Legacy of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacy of Love

Just arrived from Portugal through BM.

What a waste of time to read this book. I really tried hard to find some connection among the stories of Charlotte in Afghanistan, Alexandra in Cornwall and Cara during World War II in England.

I could't find anything worth to be mentioned.

NEXT book, please!!
Sherry Friend
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this historical novel. I especially liked that it was written from the perspective of three generations of women and showed how each of them grew from young girls into strong adult women. Some time way down the road I would even read this one again.
Melanie Griffin
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, I suppose I've read my first "romance novel." Given that I'm not wild about the genre, this was quite a good read. A historical novel set in three time periods -- Victorian times, WWI & WWII -- the book is actually 3 novellas about different generations of women in a family.
I found it to be a real page-turner, but the moral of the story is always the same: a woman can be utterly remarkable, brilliant, creative, courageous, but she is never quite complete without her man. And each stor
Sharon
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished my Trollope (Caroline Harvey) book Legacy of Love. It is three separate stories about three young women from completely different eras but who are all united by blood as well as by their strong characters. The first is set in the mid-1800s in a historical setting of bloodshed in Afghanistan. Wild-child Charlotte marries a soldier and finds herself on the front line of the war. But it is not just the war tearing at her heart; she is frustrated by her solid and sensible marriage and finds ...more
Holly
Dec 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book - - it is a story of 3 women -- generations apart but from the same bloodline. It is evident that each family carries the same thread, especially around the theme of 'Love'. I thought Joanna Trollope (writing as Caroline Harvey) did a fabulous job in keeping the generations true to their life path.
The book is set so that the 3 stories are completely separate (which I really enjoyed). I find it difficult to be in one story, and then the next chapter jumps back to a different
Bea Alden
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical-novel
This is really a trilogy, featuring three different heroines in three different eras.
The first novella is set in 19th century Afghanistan. Amidst stirring accounts of the adventures of the English army versus cunning and violent Afghan tribesmen, is woven the love story of rebellious and (of course) stunningly beautiful Charlotte.
The second is a coming-of-age/love story/adventure about Charlotte's granddaughter, Alexandra, living in England against the background of the first World War.
And Ale
John
Dec 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book needs to be reviewed with its sequel, "A Second Legacy" which between them are five books/stories of five generations of women in the same family. In my opinion, the best story was that of Charlotte who kicks of the first story but unfortunately for me, the characters deteriorated with each generation until the last one in the second book, Cara is a bit of a pain in the proverbial. This was a huge task that Joanna Trollope took on, covering a story of five women over a time frame of 15 ...more
Joselle173
This book took me months to read. I'd toss it aside for weeks at a time, pick it up and read a bit here and there. I wanted to finish it, but I guess I just didn't care much about the characters. The first chapter is about Charlotte, a typical spoiled 19th century "way ahead of her times" gal. I found her annoying and was far more interested in her sister, Emily, who was writing that portion of the book. The second part of the book was about Alexandra, Charlotte's granddaughter, and she was a fa ...more
Darlene
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enchanting deck of women in their early 20s: the adventurous Charlotte in Afghanistan in 1841, her daughter and self-doubting granddaughter Alexandra isolated in Scotland in 1906, and her spoiled great-granddaughter Cara bemoaning her unglamorous Land Girl fate in Cornwall during WWII. All three inexpertly shuffle their way to love, as Joanna Trollope writing as Carolyn Harvey deals out lots of satisfying historical detail.
Mintzis
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have a broad appetite for kitsch, but when I can't even remember the plot line of the book one week after finishing it -- that says it all. I also think I read it before, but I was getting only sonar echoes not real memories. The best that can be said of the book is that it was a quick read while we were getting ready for our cruise.
Linda Larsen
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why I resisted reading Joanna Trollope's historical novels but I'm glad I finally did read them. This book and the sequel "A Second Legacy" are simply wonderful. They follow one family through six generations and detail the struggles of each woman to find her place in the world. Vivid imagery, fascinating history, and very satisfying.
Rebecca Huston
A historical novel set in 19th century Afghanistan, about four women whose lives are interconnected. A good novel, just not a great one. Fine for beach or light reading.

For the complete review, please go here:
Kimberly
Oct 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romantics
Three generations in one family and with their own romantic love story. A great read for anyone who likes to read about love. The book pulls you right into the story as if you are really there living in the moment. It is a wonderful story about men and women fighting for what they want most.
Laura Holland
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading this book. Great historical fiction.
Monica
Jun 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction/romance - tells the story of three generations of women - three different eras/settings. Great writing and interesting story.
Kathleen Resendes
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What can I say. It's got castles, Cornwall, pretty people, love, a war (or 2) and so much more. A little on history and a lot of fiction. Loved it, read in 2 days.
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished Three Cups of Tea, and now here is a novel in which the first half is set in Afghanistan in the early 1800s. Very good story of three generations of women.
Margaret
Shirley Jones
Dec 14, 2013
Angelique Simonsen
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
not generally an author i go for but not too bad a story
Diana
Oct 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Trollope Potter Curteis Tollope (aka Joanna Trollope)

Joanna Trollope was born on 9 December 1943 in her grandfather's rectory in Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire, England, daughter of Rosemary Hodson and Arthur George Cecil Trollope. She is the eldest of three siblings. She is a fifth-generation niece of the Victorian novelist Anthony Trollope and is a cousin of the writer and broadcaster James Tro
More about Caroline Harvey...

Legacy Saga (2 books)