Start by marking “Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)” as Want to Read:
Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)

Paths Not Taken (Nightside #5)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  9,363 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
John Taylor just discovered his long-gone mother created the Nightside—the dark heart of London—and intends to destroy it. To save his birthplace, he will have to travel back through a very distant—and probably deadly—past.
Mass Market Paperback, 262 pages
Published August 30th 2005 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Paths Not Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paths Not Taken

Ahmad Sharabiani
Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5), Simon R. Green
Paths Not Taken by Simon R. Green is the fifth book in the Nightside series. Originally published: August 30, 2005.
I’m John Taylor. I was born in the Nightside, that square mile in the hidden center of London where it is always the hour of the wolf, where gods and monsters walk side by side and where every dark question ever asked can be answered—for a price. ...
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: هجدهم ماه ژانویه سال 2015 میلادی
عنوان: نایت ساید جلد پنجم: راه های ن
Jason
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars

Paths Not Taken by Simon R. Green is the fifth book in the Nightside series. These stories are classic noir like private eye mysteries in an urban fantasy setting. They are perfect for my interests today. I have been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately. Combine my new favorite genre with a detective noir like story and you have made me something special. I loved this book. I loved the writing of Green. I loved the world of Nightside. And I especially loved our main character (can't cal
Tulipa
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
با وجود اینکه همچنان یه سری چیزا به شدت ماورایی و غیر منطقی بودن، اما نسبت به جلدهای قبل پیشرفت قابل توجهی توی برنامه ریزی و انسجام اتفاقات وجود داشت. مخصوصا نسبت به جلد اول. توی این جلد، برنامه ی کامل تری ریخته شده بود و مشخصا با "سفر در زمان" توانایی نویسنده در بکارگیری اتفاقات مختلف در جلد های قبلی و بهم رسوندنشون... بیشتر مشخص شد. چون توی جلدهای قبل آدم حس میکرد همه ی سیر کتاب فی البداهه نوشته شده و جان تیلر بطور معجزه آسایی زنده میموند. و این سطحی بالاتر از جلد اول بود که کلا همه چیز یهویی ...more
Julie
Mar 06, 2010 rated it liked it
To me it's always very interesting and very brave when an author creates a good character that does bad things to good people because he has to and he knows it. He can look someone in the eye, tell them that he's so very sorry, and then do something utterly horrible to them because it has to be that way.

Very rarely do authors continue with that kind of harshness with the hero through a whole series of books. Usually the character buckles or makes an exception or something magically happens that
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
We're really getting into the meat of this story, and something tells me that I'm gonna have to order the most recent book at some point.

John Taylor has a mission. In the last book, he was tasked with finding out how the Nightside got started, and his search revealed a secret that had long been hidden - the identity of his long-lost mother. He'd wanted to know all his life, and now that he does, he'd do anything to stop her.

His mother is a dangerous woman, and he knows that the best way to find
M
Oct 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ok im fine with a book that forces a hero to do horrible things because it's the only way to stop some Great evil or because it's the only way to save their own lives. But Taylor's just a selfish A-hole. Honestly, i would buy Pretty Posion (evil succubus that enjoys leading the good to hell) as the hero over Taylor, at least she's honest about what she does and Why. He lies, tricks, and kills people throughout the seris when he really doesn't have too. He doesn't even try to find an alternative ...more
Kat  Hooper
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Warning: Contains spoilers for previous NIGHTSIDE books. If you haven’t read them, please start at the beginning with Something from the Nightside. Otherwise you’ll be lost.

Paths Not Taken is the fifth book in Simon R. Green’s NIGHTSIDE series. In the previous installment, Hex and the City, John Taylor investigated the origins of the Nightside and discovered that Lilith, his own mother, was its creator. Now, in Paths Not Taken,
Alexander Draganov
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and original Nightside novel, which has awesome monsters, epic fights and shattering revelations as John Taylor and his friend Suzie travel trough the past, in order to discover the true origins of the Nightside; the Wild Hunt was especially marvellous chapter. The character development is also quite strong, as well as the romantic touch. My only complain is that the characters sometimes seem way too powerful for the tension of the story, this is a problem Green had in some of t ...more
Graylark
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2-5-stars
The plot meandered all over the place. Too many loopholes/ unanswered questions, and pointless filler.

(view spoiler)
Behdad Ahmadi
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
ترجمه این سری هم که شده جگر زلیخا. تا الآن 4 یا 5 تا مترجم متفاوت به خودش دیده این مجموعه. اما تنها امید فعلا به اینه که مترجم بقیه جلد ها یک نفره (و مترجم جلد اول که ترجمه بسیار خوبی داشت هم نیست).

اما خود کتاب, یک نایت ساید کاملا کلاسیکه. حجم حوادث کولاک می کنه, اتفاقات بسیار پر هیجان, پر تعداد و کوتاه. اما بالاخره آخرش دوباره یک اتفاق طولانی و پر کشش و پر توصیف هم دیده میشه که برای جلوگیری از کسل شدن روایت خیلی خوب بود.

اما اصولن نایت ساید کتابی نیست که یادت بمونه, یا حتا ارزش دوباره خوندن رو د
Alondra
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
4 Stars

Another fun time with John Taylor, as he attempts to go back in time to save the Nightside and his friends from the wrath of his mother. Lilith has returned, as we know; and she is up to no good. He takes along a couple of friends, and makes many enemies along the way. His reputation seems to proceed him. The confrontation between John and Lilith was exciting to see, as he realizes how alien she truly is.
Iain
Storyline really ramps up here... I wasn't aware the first story arc ends in book 6 when I read this...
Hidekisohma
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Chichipio
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The first three quarters of this book were almost painful to read. Too much self-fulfilling prophecy for my liking; especially because, this time, it was John himself the one doing it, instead of his enemies. After what he saw in the previous book, he should know better.

I know that John is supposed to be more bluff than brains, but some of his decisions here set a new low, even for him. The whole thing with Merlin came up a bit out of the blue. They talked to him a little, then, without further
Rachel
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Okay, forgive me for saying so, but these books are not high art. But they are fun and quick reads. This one has John Taylor going back in time to see the creation of Nightside, to help him figure out how to stop his mother Lilith from destroying it in the present. It has a strong focus on Suzie Shooter, her relationship with him, and the knowledge John has of her possible future.

You know, fun, interesting ideas about time travel, love the pop culture references (how many lines are quotes from o
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Fantasy fans, Science Fiction fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Goodreads
*GAH BLAH BLAH!* Angst! Serious angst saturates the pages of this one!
John and Suzie do some time traveling in this one, and you'll never believe where they go.

GIFSoup
Yeah, you're sure as hell not going to find that out from me. I'm gonna need you to go pick up this series by Friday. Yeah.
Cheers Pretties!
Maggie K
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
So, a lot of times these Nightside books are annoying to me because they're so over the top. This one could have fallen into that trap as there a couple of really ridiculous little vignettes that didn't need to be there, BUT...it was TIME TRAVEL people...and some real ass-whooping....and we see how a lot of supporting characters got their start..so it still gets 4 stars. Happy reading!
Ryan Mueller
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fun entry in the Nightside series. It's completely over-the-top at times, but it keeps me turning the pages. I love the characters and world Green created, and it keeps getting more epic with every book.
M
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
In good enough condition to take on a trip---I left half of this novel in the Minneapolis airport recycling bin! It made hours pass, but I'm not sure I will pursue other books by Simon R. Green. Thank you Danika!
Ben Truong
Paths Not Taken is the fifth book in Nightside Series written by Simon R. Green and centered on John Taylor, the main protagonist, who is not a private detective per se, but he has a knack for finding lost things.

Having learned that Lilith, his mother, wants to destroy the Nightside, John Taylor intends to stop his mother in doing so. In order to stop his mother, he had to go into the past to see the beginnings or the birth of the Nightside. Accompanying him on his quest is Shotgun Suzie and Tom
Michael Mc Donnell
Jan 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book felt like a wasted opportunity. It set's up the story to tackle the idea that the end justifies the means but then it just fizzles out without actually tackling the issue. The protagonist just forgets the terrible things he's done and we're given no satisfactory "ends" to justify them either. But perhaps the biggest problem is that the book introduces a huge plot hole that never gets addressed and which should have had serious repercussions (which would have been a nice foil to the pro ...more
Banshee
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
John Taylor has learned who his mother is and what she wants. He knows he needs to stop her and prevent the apocalyptic future he has seen. To do that John has to go to the past to learn more about how Nightside was created and why.

This novel was amazing, my favorite in the series so far. The plot is a lot of fun with the time travelling. It was interesting to see Nightside and the changes it has experienced over the years. The main characters were okay, I really didn’t like the “romance” betwe
Soo
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Mini-Review:

With most of the background set by the first four books, this one was full of entertaining bits and nice network of connections between that which has happened, currently in progress and hints to what may be. There's a ton of attitude, posturing, action, sardonic humor and a dash of sweet and caustic love. I am a total fan of having details weaving together to form a whole that is even cooler than imagined. I'm quite happy to note that happened in this book.

The big question mark is
Linnea
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
John Taylor has to stop his mother from destroying the Nightside. In order to do that he has to travel into the past with Shotgun Suzie and Tommy in order to watch the creation of the Nightside. That way they hopefully find a way to destroy John Taylor's mother. When they ask Old Father Time for help he lets them time-travel to the past. When he sends them back in time, they don't go far enough. They think John Taylor's mother has something to do with it. They have to find many ways in order to ...more
Oliver Eike
Throwing time travel into the mix of an established series is a bold move and often it ends up jumping the shark rather than adding to the setting.

However in this book it adds and reveals a few deeper meanings behind something in previous books. While it is interesting to see, it feels a bit slow and the feeling of AHA! moments thrown at you will quickly appear.

All in all a good book in the series, but it is all starting to get a bit stale. But i will still give the next book in the series a l
Carol Dass
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets better and better with every book! John Taylor finally meets his mother and what a piece of work she is!!! But at least John does not consider her a real mother, but purely biological. I hope the relationship between John and Shotgun Suzie will continue to blossom. I love them both.
Laura Lavender-blackwood
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just love John and Suzie and this novel gives of both of them. At their rarest rawest and most humbling of moments.
s
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
the ending is quite disappointing since you dont get any new answers even though this is what this whole book is about and the beginning felt quite redundant like a shortstory infront of this book
Kate Millin
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
John Taylor manages to go back in time but it is not straightforward and he has adventures on the way. He has a case involving alternate time lines to solve before he leaves.
David
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked it, but gads, I can tell where the commercial breaks would end by the regular stream of sudden deus ex machina solutions. 3.5 stars.
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Deathwish (Cal Leandros, #4)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Codespell (Webmage, #3)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Dark War (Matt Richter #3)
  • Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)
“This isn't Hell, it's the Nightside. Thought sometime you can see Hell from here.” 17 likes
“Big corporations aren't always the bad guys; but it's the sensible way to bet.” 8 likes