Start by marking “The Virginia Gardener's Companion: An Insider's Guide to Low-Maintenance Gardening in Virginia” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Detailed, easy-to-understand information about the ins and outs of gardening in Virginia, from a Virginia master gardener, with advice from state gardening writers, horticulturists, and other local experts.

Published April 15th 2008 by Globe Pequot (first published April 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Virginia Gardener's Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Virginia Gardener's Companion

Summer
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
A very informative read for someone like me who is embarking on their first year of gardening in Virginia!
The reason I didn't give it 4 stars was that, in my opinion, it didn't live up to the "low-maintenance" part of its subtitle. The book was full of good info on plant types that thrive or struggle in VA, soil types, and resources for further info, but there's not much that struck me as particularly low-maintenance other than the mention of berms and mulching for weed control.
Beth Ann
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This quick, easy read is filled with a ton of helpful information and suggestions. Would be five stars if it had photos or pictures of the plants.
Vicki
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I checked this book out of the library I was disappointed by how amateur it looked, and how flimsy. So I set it aside and ignored it because I am dumb. It's actually really useful and full of short, to-the-point advice for picking, planting, and caring for trees, shrubs, vegetables and herbs that grow well in Virginia (which I'm using as a proxy for DC). After months of seeking gardening advice online, where every site is inundated by (and supported by) non-stop advertising, it was really r ...more
Davidr