Start by marking “The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, #1)

The Ring Sets Out

(The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions #1)

Continuing the story of The Hobbit, this seven-volume paperback boxed set of Tolkien's epic masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings is a collection to treasure.

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power; the means by which he intends to rule Middle-earth. All he lacks in his plans for dominion is the One Ring -- the ring that rules them all -- which has
Hardcover, Millennium, 283 pages
Published 1999 by Houghton Mifflin (first published July 29th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring Sets Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring Sets Out

Nina
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-and-ireland
Years ago I went to the cinema with my brother (who loves LOTR) to see the second Lord of the Rings-film. I hadn’t seen the first one, but my brother was so enthusiastic I went with him. I was a bit confused. Though the fight scenes were cool and I remember Legolas sliding down stairs/railings shooting arrows and I thought that was cool as well. There were talking trees, which was weird. I liked Merry and especially Pippin. Frodo was a bit mean.

About a year later I watched the first film. Alone
Mazzy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ring Sets Out is the first of the six books of the The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The three volumes consist of two books each.
The Ring Sets Out begins in the light tone of The Hobbit , but soon the ‘little’ adventure of Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin turns dark. We hear stories of great evil, of the wretched creature named Gollum and that something dark has arisen in the land of Mordor.
The four hobbits are innocently and surprisingly brave, encounter the Nazgûl, an evil ancient tree, marvelou
Jessica
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Stuck between 3 and 4 stars. Some of it was great but then other parts consisted of 15 pages of "the road went down and then sloped back up and then went back down and then went right and up again" le sigh. Also very much underestimated the huge difference between the book and the film.
Tony Calder
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first book of the seven book slipcase set of Lord of the Rings that was released in 2012. The seven book set breaks down into 2 books for each book of the trilogy and the seventh volume is the appendices. In this format, it makes a convenient reading copy, with each book being easier to carry around than one of my hardcover editions, as well as saving them from wear.

This book covers from the start (including Tolkien's preface) through to the events at the Ford of Bruinen, roughly hal
Book Bite Reviews
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
There aren't many books that are written quite like this anymore. It is a well written fantasy about Hobbits mainly Bilbo Baggins and his nephew Frodo, who had come upon the unfortunate findings of a Ring . The ONE ring to rule them all...etc that was lost long ago and picked up by Smiegle. This ring is the sole connection between The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. I must say that I adored The Hobbit and I can't wait for the last movie to come out. How exciting.

Frodo is so sweet and kind as
Ben Payne
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I listened to the Audible version of this book (or half book if you prefer - it's the first half of Fellowship of the Ring - the first "book" of that book).

Like a lot of fantasy readers, I read Tolkien when I was really young, then read lots of other fantasy by other authors that were derivative of Tolkien, and eventually became a little embarrassed of liking Tolkien. I started to feel that these books were a bit antiquated and full of outdated attitudes.

While that's true, to some extent, they'
flajol
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Yet another attempt to make it through the full set of books...

I actually liked Tom Bombadil this time around, so that's an improvement on my previous false starts with this book.
Boy Blue
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fan
I only want to talk about 3 things in regards to this book. They all have to do with things that weren't in the movie for better or worse.

1. Most people know the story pretty well even if they haven't read it or seen the films but one thing of particular note to me was the incredible number of songs and poems in the book. Tolkien was obsessed with song and poetry and in fact in the lore of his world the creator sang Middle Earth into existence. All the most powerful creatures all use words, son
Tõnu Vahtra
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have seen both the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogy in the movies and also read Hobbit in childhood but this was my first Tolken book in native language. I started reading during trekking in Nepal Everest region which definitely added a lot to the experience. During the flight back to Europe I watched again the Hobbit movies and now will do the same with Lord of the Rings trilogy also in the near future, added the other parts of the story to immediate reading list.

There were many familiar
Peter
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english
I never really expected the LotR movies to be a direct adaptation of the books. But the first part of the first movie is a far cry from what was written in book 1. What happened to the decades between Bilbo’s disappearance and Frodo’s departure from the Shire? And to Tom Bombadil and the barrow whites? It looks like hardly anything made it to the first movie.

Nevertheless, I think Tom Bombadil’s songs will forever haunt my memory, as it gets stuck in my head regularly,, “Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom
David
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horsey horsey don't you stop! Reading this to someone else, it gets rather boring describing scenery over and over again, which is why the first installment of my most favourite of books only gets 3 stars.
Sleepover137
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it, even though it took more than 100 pages to get out of the shire XD
Kirsty McCracken
So excited to begin this journey!!!
Jennifer Royan
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love diving into this story piece by piece and am doing so again based on the dates when book breaks occur. Considered reading it literally on the day when events were to occur, but... do you know they were in the wilds for 17 days between getting stabbed and reaching the ford?!
Logan
Nov 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: one-star
1 star

Here's the thing: the subject matter is actually interesting when told by a good presenter (see CGPGrey's videos on the lore surrounding The Lord of the Rings, for instance. But Tolkien somehow managed to turn this thorough, complete, and beautiful world into a background in which nothing interesting happens. Let me clarify that, though; there's a ton of interesting stuff happening in this first book, but it's so overshadowed by the utter boredom caused by pages and pages of scenes of just
Shawn Birss
Uh... It ended on a cliffhanger!

I find it difficult to write reviews for books as classic and beloved as this. The Lord of the Rings has been so often read, analyzed, and reviewed, that I don't really feel I have a lot to offer. So, I'm just going to write a few notes about my own experience of reading, and my thoughts after finishing part one of this six part epic.

This is my third time reading this book, but my first time finishing it. Twice in the last twenty years I've picked it up. Neither
Angry Wombat
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ahh, coming back to read an old favorite. This is the mental equivalent of curling up in a warm blanket with a good cup of tea :)

The Lord of the Rings is actually six books - and this first one is a wonderful kickoff to the whole story. I recently read The Hobbit and this is a perfect continuation. Bilbo is of course once more surrounded by his friends and family and is going to celebrate his birthday, with everyone (including Gandalf) invited... But we learn that the Ring may not be just a simp
Brendan Childs
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
The reason I read this book is because it is from a genre of books that I like (fantasy), and it is a classic series of fantasy books that are known to be one of the best that there are. I also read this because I have never gotten round to reading this series even though I have seen the movies may times. The category this book completes is a book written before my grandparents were born.

The things I liked about this book is that it starts the series really well and introduces you to all the ch
I'mogén
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so my review got... Not saved somewhere along the line... So I have to try and remember allllll that was said! -.-
Here we go!
The Lord of The Rings The Fellowship of the Ring, Book One: The Ring Sets Out is just that! Frodo and friends set out on their first adventure with the ring in order to meet with Gandalf and learn more about the current troubles of MiddleEarth, which Frodo's inherited ring seems to be the target of.
I was rather pleasantly surprised that this novel didn't start as The
Akshay Kalra
Reading this as a high fantasy novel intended for young adults, i was a little disappointed as the book was immensely similar to its predecessor i.e. The Hobbit, which is a children's book. For the most part the story as its predecessor embarks on a journey to the east and my feelings about the journey (up the hill, down the hill, under the hill, through the hill, into the dell, onto the ridge, into the thickets, across the ford ) can be likened with those of the characters as in all of US wer ...more
Jayanth Aluguri
I know I have started reading one of the finest works of all time - The Lord Of The Rings by J.R.R. The name says it all. You couldn't ask for more from him. This is the first book in the entire series and it gives you a broad picture on how the ring found Frodo Baggins, how he embarks his adventure with his buddy hobbits. The hobbits set out on a mission to reach Rivendell and this book speaks about the beautiful landscapes of the Shire, Bree, Buckland. And also about whether they accomplish th ...more
Cindi Chaisson
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had a hard time putting this one down! J.R.R Tolkien was light years ahead of his time when he wrote this epic series. Rich with detail, this book transports you to a whole new world, one created for the reader. Tolkien had an amazing imagination and he shares that with us, his readers by taking us on an amazing adventure through a land and time that inspires readers to allow themselves to escape into the pages of this masterpiece.
Lennart
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think millions of reviews have been made of this book.
The biggest challenge I faced, when reading it was 'time.' Tolkiens writing is amazing and when digging into his universe you need time to give your self into it. This is definitely not a book to just read a few pages on the go.
I am looking forward to continue reading Tolkien - when I have the time to absorbing.
Sara
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved Tolkien's writing style and the mysteries of Middle Earth, especally Tom Bombadil because he is just awsome and I don't think that I will ever uncover his mysteries. I cant wait to continue reading this series so I can see where this adventure goes.
Alexandria
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, 2014-2018
Been meaning to read these books for so long. There is so much detail condensed and yet drawn out at the same time. I know there is so much I am going to forget, these novels will be worth reading and listening to on audiobook time and time again
Bruno Kulić
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reread, audiobook
Yay, I found a way to make my rereads count on the challenge!
This has always been my favourite part of the whole series, but lately (during the last two rereads) I've found the forrest part before Tom Bombadil to be completely forced and unnecessary.
Bibin  Elampallil
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-collections
Do you like slow movies. ? If yes, this would be a good book for you. This is an epic novel which says about an imaginary wolrd consisting of human and other human like creatures. Little slow but worth reading.
Natalie George
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring-2014
Well it's a great tell for a book and takes u back to a place that is magical and has wired thing coming out of ever little hole like a hobbit and warlocks and wizards all kinds of stuff so it's a good read
Sannie Hald
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the best books I have ever read. B r i l l i a n t.
Jake Chaplin
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good opening to the LOTR trilogy :) I'm impressed.
Tolkien's T.C.B.S: Special Editions 7 20 May 20, 2013 09:47AM

• Norby: Robot For Hire (Norby, #3-4)
  • L'Échiquier du mal, Tome 2
  • The Tree of Life (The Mysteries of Osiris, #1)
  • Le seigneur des trois règnes (Les aventuriers de la mer, #7)
  • The Complete Aubrey/Maturin Novels (5 Volumes)
  • Keulakuva (Ajan pyörä, #16)
  • The Big Cats and Their Fossil Relatives: An Illustrated Guide to Their Evolution and Natural History
  • Le bûcher d’un roi (Le trône de fer, #13)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Bad Blood (Tomes of The Dead #1.5)
  • Die Feuerinseln (Das Geheimnis von Askir, #5)
  • Ouragan
  • The Practical Princess and Other Liberating Fairy Tales
  • De tuinen van Dorr
  • Vodník
  • Only Gingers Can Be Witches
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lang

The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions (7 books)
  • The Ring Goes South (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Treason of Isengard (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Ring Goes East (The Lord of the Rings, #4)
  • The War of the Ring (The History of Middle-Earth, #8)
  • The End of the Third Age (The Lord of the Rings, #6)
  • Der Herr der Ringe. Anhänge und Register
“But it is said: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. The choice is yours: to go or wait.'
'And it is also said,' answered Frodo: 'Go not to the Elves for counsel for they will answer both no and yes.'
'Is it indeed?' laughed Gildor. 'Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill.”
14 likes