Start by marking “The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, #1)

The Ring Sets Out

(The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions #1)

Continuing the story of The Hobbit, this seven-volume paperback boxed set of Tolkien's epic masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings is a collection to treasure.

Sauron, the Dark Lord, has gathered to him all the Rings of Power; the means by which he intends to rule Middle-earth. All he lacks in his plans for dominion is the One Ring -- the ring that rules them all -- which has
Hardcover, Millennium, 283 pages
Published 1999 by Houghton Mifflin (first published July 29th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring Sets Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring Sets Out

Start your review of The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
Nina
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: united-kingdom
Years ago I went to the cinema with my brother (who loves LOTR) to see the second Lord of the Rings-film. I hadn’t seen the first one, but my brother was so enthusiastic I went with him. I was a bit confused. Though the fight scenes were cool and I remember Legolas sliding down stairs/railings shooting arrows and I thought that was cool as well. There were talking trees, which was weird. I liked Merry and especially Pippin. Frodo was a bit mean.

About a year later I watched the first film. Alone
Robyn
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
So for those who are unaware, this is part of a boxed set of LOTR that breaks each of the books of the trilogy into two volumes (six physical books). This is Book 1 of Fellowship of the Ring.

I have to say it started off a bit slow and I often find myself drifting as I'm reading, but it got pretty exciting towards the end. I will definitely finish the series, but might choose to take my time with it.
Mazzy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ring Sets Out is the first of the six books of the The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The three volumes consist of two books each.
The Ring Sets Out begins in the light tone of The Hobbit , but soon the ‘little’ adventure of Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin turns dark. We hear stories of great evil, of the wretched creature named Gollum and that something dark has arisen in the land of Mordor.
The four hobbits are innocently and surprisingly brave, encounter the Nazgûl, an evil ancient tree, marvelou
shi ❦
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
So, I tried, but I only finished Book 1 of the Fellowship as you can see. It's a bit of a pity, but I kind of knew what I signed up for even though I had hoped to become more immersed in the story than I did. Perhaps I'll read Book 2 of the Fellowship sometime in the future, but for now, it seems unlikely. I love The Hobbit and I appreciate Tolkien as a linguist, scholar and also author of course, but this was just not it for me. ...more
Jessica
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Stuck between 3 and 4 stars. Some of it was great but then other parts consisted of 15 pages of "the road went down and then sloped back up and then went back down and then went right and up again" le sigh. Also very much underestimated the huge difference between the book and the film. ...more
Christian Leonard Quale
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
It’s been about fifteen years since the last time I read Lord of the Rings all the way through. The plan was for me to, along with my girlfriend, for a slow-reading book club in which we re-read Lord of the Rings (the 7-book edition, including Appendices) slowly, spreading it out over 2021. It hasn’t really gone that way because, as it turns out, it’s actually quite a good book! And hard to put down!

This first book is The Ring Sets Out (going up to Rivendell), and it was truly a delight to re-re
Peggy
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! I knew the movies had to have left out a lot of details, but wow. I feel like this entire book was essentially omitted! (Minus a few key points [SPOILERS], Bilbo's 111th birthday, Bree where the hobbits met strider, Frodo being stabbed.)

So good! I really am curious who would have been casted as Tom Bombadil!
Tony Calder
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first book of the seven book slipcase set of Lord of the Rings that was released in 2012. The seven book set breaks down into 2 books for each book of the trilogy and the seventh volume is the appendices. In this format, it makes a convenient reading copy, with each book being easier to carry around than one of my hardcover editions, as well as saving them from wear.

This book covers from the start (including Tolkien's preface) through to the events at the Ford of Bruinen, roughly hal
Grace
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
FINALLY! AFTER THREE TRIES I FINALLY FINISHED THE FIRST BOOK!
okay so the start is good, then it gets almost UNBEARABLY slow for about four chapters and then it picks up again. Every time I've read this I've got stuck in those four chapters because they seem to last for an eternity.

I wish I could rate this higher because I love LOTR, but for the start of an epic series that went down in history? It wasn't great!! I didnt know what was happening a lot of the time, and as I say it took WAY too lon
Kristen Thompson
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I’m not sure how to rate this one. It’s starts off as really hard to read, and it wasn’t really keeping my interest. Once I finally decided to just push through it, I started to really enjoy the story. I hope that the next book continues this momentum.
Boy Blue
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fan, phantasia
I only want to talk about 3 things in regards to this book. They all have to do with things that weren't in the movie for better or worse.

1. Most people know the story pretty well even if they haven't read it or seen the films but one thing of particular note to me was the incredible number of songs and poems in the book. Tolkien was obsessed with song and poetry and in fact in the lore of his world the creator sang Middle Earth into existence. All the most powerful creatures all use words, son
Jackie's Bookbytes
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it
There aren't many books that are written quite like this anymore. It is a well written fantasy about Hobbits mainly Bilbo Baggins and his nephew Frodo, who had come upon the unfortunate findings of a Ring . The ONE ring to rule them all...etc that was lost long ago and picked up by Smiegle. This ring is the sole connection between The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. I must say that I adored The Hobbit and I can't wait for the last movie to come out. How exciting.

Frodo is so sweet and kind as
Ben Payne
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I listened to the Audible version of this book (or half book if you prefer - it's the first half of Fellowship of the Ring - the first "book" of that book).

Like a lot of fantasy readers, I read Tolkien when I was really young, then read lots of other fantasy by other authors that were derivative of Tolkien, and eventually became a little embarrassed of liking Tolkien. I started to feel that these books were a bit antiquated and full of outdated attitudes.

While that's true, to some extent, they'
flajol
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Yet another attempt to make it through the full set of books...

I actually liked Tom Bombadil this time around, so that's an improvement on my previous false starts with this book.
Tõnu Vahtra
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have seen both the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogy in the movies and also read Hobbit in childhood but this was my first Tolken book in native language. I started reading during trekking in Nepal Everest region which definitely added a lot to the experience. During the flight back to Europe I watched again the Hobbit movies and now will do the same with Lord of the Rings trilogy also in the near future, added the other parts of the story to immediate reading list.

There were many familiar
Peter
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english
I never really expected the LotR movies to be a direct adaptation of the books. But the first part of the first movie is a far cry from what was written in book 1. What happened to the decades between Bilbo’s disappearance and Frodo’s departure from the Shire? And to Tom Bombadil and the barrow whites? It looks like hardly anything made it to the first movie.

Nevertheless, I think Tom Bombadil’s songs will forever haunt my memory, as it gets stuck in my head regularly,, “Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom
Bailey A
I know this book is a classic and the series is very close to many peoples hearts, but for me Tolkien's writing was incredibly long winded, and even though the literature was precise and quite nice, the extensive descriptions took away from the story and literature. I gave it 3/5 stars because there was a lot about it I enjoyed but unfortunately it came to a point where I wasn't excited to pick it up anymore. ...more
Jack Christensen
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
My friend once said LOTR picks up when you get out of the Shire. I completely agree on this re-read. I hate Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Weights. But I love Bree and all things Strider. The world building is a little tedious but so well thought out. This section of the Fellowship is slow, but I'm so looking forward to the rest. ...more
David
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horsey horsey don't you stop! Reading this to someone else, it gets rather boring describing scenery over and over again, which is why the first installment of my most favourite of books only gets 3 stars. ...more
Scott Pardoe
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
So it’s good; it’s really long and slow, but it’s good. Definitely not written recently, as certain words aren’t necessarily acceptably used anymore, but I’d say the size of the smaller books has definitely helped me not lose hope!
Janessa
Popsugar Reading Challenge 2020: A book with a made-up language

Man, honestly, this is more of a 2/5 stars for me.

But I do recognize that it's a great fantasy foundational novel. The impact it's had on the genre has been immense.

And maybe my love for the movie has influenced my rating.
Sleepover137
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it, even though it took more than 100 pages to get out of the shire XD
Kirsty McCracken
So excited to begin this journey!!!
Rowan Vosberg
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very slow at the start but kicks up any imagination.
Mitchell
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good read
Guo Xian
May 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Near 300 pages and the plot can easily summarized into few pages. Half of it are the description of trees and leaves and poem and the walking, JFC.
Rachel
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You need patience to read this, but it's worth it!! Wow, Tolkien wrote many poems too. I love that this set is split up into 6 books. I loved the part when they were at the inn. ...more
Sara Aye Moung
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reread (possibly for the 4th time I think). Book 1 of 6 - as scary and intriguing as I recall.
Anka
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
If I had read this book 6-7 years ago when I was just starting my reading expedition, I would have given this 5 stars. But now after reading so many better books, this deserves 3.5 at best.
Harriet Hartshorn
Jan 01, 2021 rated it liked it
So much Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien's T.C.B.S: Special Editions 7 20 May 20, 2013 09:47AM

• Death Note Special One-Shot (2020)
  • Eragon & Eldest (Inheritance, #1-2)
  • Akame ga KILL!, Vol. 1
  • The Marriage of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #2.5)
  • Beatrix Potter The Complete Tales
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • Pat the Bunny
  • Charlotte's Web and Other Illustrated Classics
  • Shadows
  • Iphigenia in Aulis
  • The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1)
  • How to (Not) Train a Firecat
  • Restless Spirits (Spirits, #1)
  • Prisoner (Kria, #1)
  • Ink and Paper
  • Wick (Wick #1)
  • Deceived (Deceived, #1)
  • Runescribe
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English

The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions (7 books)
  • The Ring Goes South (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Treason of Isengard (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Ring Goes East (The Lord of the Rings, #4)
  • The War of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #5)
  • The End of the Third Age (The Lord of the Rings, #6)
  • Der Herr der Ringe. Anhänge und Register