Start by marking “The Loathsome Couple” as Want to Read:
The Loathsome Couple

The Loathsome Couple

In pen-and-ink drawings and amusing captions, 31 pages tell of Harold Snodleigh and Mona Gritch, two thoroughly repugnant people. They fall in love and discover that their "life's work" is murdering children. Set in Victorian-type era, inspired by the Moors Murders that rocked 1960s England.
Published December 31st 1977 by Dodd Mead

To ask other readers questions about The Loathsome Couple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loathsome Couple

Paquita Maria Sanchez
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pitcher-books
I assume this is about the Moors Murders, but I can't be sure. Anyway, it's super-effed and pretty to look at all at the same time, because that's just what Edward Gorey does in his spare time, his work time, and all the time. His presentation seems on the surface to be icy-cold, but I dunno...I think maybe there's a reason for that. Almost as if making a stage-show-esque comedy out of the most horrifying of deeds can actually cast an interesting light on how numb we are to the ever-swelling gro ...more
Christopher
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Edward Gorey's THE LOATHSOME COUPLE is one of his usual stories consisting of pen-and-ink drawings and amusing captions. The thirty-one pages of the book tell the story of Harold Snodleigh and Mona Gritch, two thoroughly repugnant people who fall in love and discover that their "life's work" is murdering children. While set in the unspecified Victorian or Edwardian era common to most of Gorey's oeuvre, the book is heavily inspired by the Moors Murders that rocked 1960s England. In spite of its s ...more
ke-sha
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow...O_O...Um...

Ernie
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
like a fool i spent $30 on this book. the Moors Murders are a side obsession of mine and i was excited to see how he'd deal with them, but he doesn't. he denies, deflects, buries (pun), and fails to evoke. Gorey's art is based on allusions, but here he evades. points for discretion but why pen the thing if there's not going to be any visual or verbal borderline grisliness. the cover is by far the best drawing.
Ariana
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Robert Jaz
Aug 22, 2007 rated it liked it
As it reads inside the front end flap: "This book may well prove to be its author's most unpleasant ever."

That is certainly true. This is one of the only Edward Gorey books that I would give a less than favorable review and it stands out as one of his few unsuccessful works.

The distastefull aspect of the book's subject matter and Gorey's overt descriptions are atypical from many of his other works which are often veiled in their descriptions, unlikely in their situations, or at the very least,
Naomi Ruth
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: af, graphic-novels
There are not appropriate words to explain this book. You just need to experience it. And then listen to your friends reactions as they read it and pace hurriedly through the book making loud exclamations.
Bracari.iris
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was the first Edward Gorey story I have read and I must say, I wasn't expecting it. I was hoping for creepy, but this came out morbid. In the best ways. I absolutely loved it. The story was exquisetely illustrated and led me to wanting to read more.
Gretchen
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I adore Edward Gorey's artwork and books. Most have a touch of the macabre but none (that I know of) quite like The Loathsome Couple. When he titled this book, he wasn't kidding! I really would have enjoyed meeting the man who's mind created such wild yet demure things.
Zara
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Gorey
this could be the best Gorey I've read and I really like Gorey. Its dark, disturbing and morbid. Totally worth reading.
David
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is about as creepy, dark, and disturbing as you can get.
Jessica
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Horrifying and loathsome. But a good Gorey story.
Susan
Sep 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
Aptly titled. True Gorey.
Ann
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Illustrations are good but a loathesome story.
Jeff
Sep 30, 2012 added it
Edward Gorey, nuff said
Fawn
Jun 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
turnip sandwiches.
Lindsay
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
A dark and disturbing tale.
Eliza
  • Elegant Enigmas: The Art of Edward Gorey
  • Donald Has a Difficulty
  • Elephant House; or, the Home of Edward Gorey
  • Homebodies
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • The Borden Tragedy: A Memoir of the Infamous Double Murder at Fall River, Mass., 1892 (A Treasury of Victorian Murder)
  • An Obsession With Butterflies: Our Long Love Affair With A Singular Insect
  • The Gift of Trouble Sight (Billy Fog #1)
  • Untitled (The Bee On The Comb)
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
  • What the Hell Are You Doing?: The Essential David Shrigley
  • The Strange Case of Edward Gorey
  • The Town Below the Ground: Edinburgh's Legendary Undgerground City
  • La tectonique des plaques
  • The Wind in the Rosebush and Other Stories of the Supernatural
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more