Start by marking “1001 Ways to Cut Your Expenses: Here Are Money-Saving Tips from an Expert on How to Find Hidden Money When You Need It Most” as Want to Read:

2.8  ·  Rating details ·  40 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
One of America's most respected and renowned financial planners provides 1001 tips to help everyone--from CEOs to homemakers--save money. Learn which corners to cut in various areas of everyday life. Take the revealing self-test and assess where your money is being spent. Then allow the expert to guide you to the most effective and creative ways to save it.
Published May 2nd 1992 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about 1001 Ways to Cut Your Expenses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1001 Ways to Cut Your Expenses

Adam Nelson
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm giving this a generous two stars because it's sort of amusing. For one thing, it's way outdated, which makes it amusing. Lots of tips here about when's the best time to call someone long-distance, having a script of stuff to talk about before you call so you don't waste time on idle chit-chat and run up the phone bill. Another thing I find amusing is just the general idea--1,000 things to make sure you're doing in life to avoid spending more money than you need to. Due to the layout and orga ...more
Jamie
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
First off, to understand my rating, this book is very outdated. Most tips in here only apply to the time table the book was written in (early 90's). Most tips are also common sense while other tipsar just plain tacky.
This books would have done better to stick to tried and true savers with some unique twists. Gardening would have been great area to hit on. Fixing tear/rips in items, etc.
Some tips are also contradictory to others. Such as, do not buy items cause they are on sale, vs buy when on s
Clare
Dec 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
It will not help me to take worn out knee high socks and turn them into perfectly serviceable ankle length socks. Furthermore, recycling hosiery into strips of string is not the greatest money saver.

Were this the 80's or 90's it might be more helpful. Also if I were a man who needed the advice of buying 2 sets of slacks with each suit and replacing the elbows with fabric...

The two most useful pieces of information were to pay attention to the rules relating to income taxes and possibly refer to
Peach
Sep 22, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: penny pinchers, frugal
Shelves: read-in-2009
Originally published in 1992, I only read it because it was in a stack of books I bought at the Goodwill bookstore a few months ago. The information is still pretty good, but, of course, a bit outdated.

Some tips to save money...
Only date affluent people.
Don't date poor people.
Invest in your company's 401k - it's the wave of the future!

;)
Michelle
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
An oldie, but still a goodie. Written in the 90s, it still has applicable ideas for the new century. I especially recommend the section on finances. It will get you thinking! I reread this book every few years.
Jana Kelsch
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book in the 90s and enjoyed it and learned from it. rereading it today I realize how dated it is. I did like the gifting section as the high cost of Christmas is now over and thinking about how to better spend gift money, so that was good.
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mostly stuff I already knew, but some good reminders and a few new tips.
Dave Haskins
Frugality
Angie
Oct 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Eh - outdated for sure...
Kari
Jul 24, 2016
Kara
Dec 17, 2010
Dede
rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2010
Kathy
Sep 24, 2012
Grant
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
A low 3. There's good stuff in here but it's very dated. My advice is to read Dave Ramsey's stuff, do a budget every month, and live on less than you make. It's pretty much that simple. It's just hard to do. But so is drowning in crap you don't need and never having any money, regardless of your income or class level.
Sandra