Start by marking “Blackthorne's Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blackthorne's Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #3)

Blackthorne's Bride

(Misadventures in Matrimony #3)

For better or for worse

Tired of being wooed for her dowry, Lady Madeleine Castleigh has given up on finding true love. But on her way to elope with a boring but honorable philanthropist, her carriage is seized by a nobleman on the run. Maddie is alarmed, especially when she catches sight of Jack Martingale, Marquess of Blackthorne, exactly the sort of wickedly
Published October 30th 2007 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Blackthorne's Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackthorne's Bride

Start your review of Blackthorne's Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #3)
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I'm torn about this one. I loved the first two books, but I felt this one wasn't as well-plotted and and some of the events were a bit tangled. I did like the chemistry between Jack and Madeleine and I just plain love the camaraderie between Madeleine and her cousins. I've definitely read better historical romances, even by this author, but it was an entertaining read, and I did love how they both come to realize their feelings for each other and don't look back. The love scenes were nicely stea ...more
Veri
I don't understand how this book has so many positive review . This book was TERRIBLE. I felt I was reading a parody of a romance novel. The plot was very promising but the execution was just bad. I forced myself to finish it but it was painful to read. This was definitely not a goodread for me.
ChloeLeeNH
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Regency Era fans
This was a great adventure... the heroine was too funny. And the hero was so protective and so attentive... begrudgingly but still sigh worthy!

Excellent!
Helen
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, this was quite a thrill ride from start to finish. It's basically a regency screwball comedy, partly fed by Maddie's do-gooder tendencies and partly by Jack's brother Nick's more-or-less fatal attraction to trouble. There's a bear, an brawl, a shoot-out, a chase, and an elopement, not necessarily in that order and among other misadventures. Suffice to say it ends happily, as a romance should, but I really wish the bear had played a part in the final showdown. Shana Galen books do not disap ...more
L.A. Miller
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What I love most when I read historical romances is the authors ability to take you to another time and once you have read the last page you feel as if you truly experienced what life was like in that world. If History teachers could take lessons from writers than maybe more kids would enjoy learning about another era instead of rolling their eyes.

From the first pages Shana pulls you into her characters, their lives and the past that haunts them. While I love the first two in the series I think
Diane K. Peterson
4.5 stars. Oh, I really liked this book! I have read quite a few Shana Galen books and I think this one might be my favorite. Jack Martingale, Marquess Blackthorne, is gruff and serious, and laden with guilt about the death of his mother. He and his brother, Nicholas, are two rough and tumble guys. We start with a bar fight, then the wild story moves to a carriage chase to Gretna Green, a mixed-up marriage in Scotland, a bear rescue, and a really evil villain. The action is fast and fun, and the ...more
Maggie Whitworth
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the the third in this series,and by far the best.
Miss Galen has a wonderful writting style, that lends itself to action/humour .
So refreshing to read a book of this caliber , lots of action from the two main characters Madie and Jack ,and from Nick his brother and Ashley her cousin , and of course we cant forget the bear. Cant wait for the next book .
If its as good as this one were in for a treat .
Patti
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Jack and Maddie's story. Maddie and Jack are perfect for each other and so are Ashley and Nicholas. The race to Gretna Green and all the complications that arise is entertaining!
Robyn
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I think it was the best of Shana Galen's (Misadventrues in Matrimoney). Loved Jack the hero, and Maddie was sweet and funny.
Melissa Spencer feehan
3rd book in the series

I'm reading this series in order, these are the first books I have read by this author. The books in this series seem to have over long sex scenes, page after page that I am now just skipping over. The plots seem weak as well. She has good ideas and her premises sound like fun but the end result just feels lacking to me. The things they do, the situations they put themselves in, their thought processes feel like an author new to writing. I have been reading historical ro
Maday Dearmas
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story takes off from the first pages and it's full of action. I literally couldn't put this book down when I started reading it. Marcus is the Duke and he's sexy and handsome and really wonderful. Josie becomes his Duchess under crazy circumstances and it's quite a ride. My only complaint is that I feel they should have been thrown together more and way too many relatives on two continents. Even with that the story was wonderful and the author did a great job. I recommend this book wholehea ...more
Margaret
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Spinster's Club

Four cousins vow to remain unmarried, but10 years later two cousins marry. Maddie is tired of suitors pursuing her form her money. Maddie decides to marry a widower with two children. She and her cousin who is still unmarried plan an elopement to Gretna Green, only things don't go as planned when Lord Blackthorne and his brother interfere. A rollicking romance of mishaps and the danger of a Black Duke who threatens all Blackthorn holds dear. Don't worry about the bear!
Marilyn Upright
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have not read the previous two books in this series, but this one was real enjoyable on its own. The best part for me was the priest marrying the wrong two couples at the double wedding. Jack and Madeline were great characters with a lot of adventures. They way Jack finished the Black Earl in the end was satisfying. And the way her father laughed at Jack, like shes yours now if she dosent kill you first.
Brian
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
I obtained a copy of this book from my local library.

This a very delightful and truly enjoyable historical romance story. I find that Ms. Galen's writing to be refreshing and accurate. The amount of detail, be it the characters, the scenery, or side characters, this author gives the reader all the right stuff.

Personally, I am working my through so of this author's earlier books so I can get up to speed with her newer works.

Get this book and enjoy a darn good story.
Sandcastles
Oct 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Forced my self to finish this book. The start of the plot was promising but from then on the author was all over the place. All the characters was SO one dimensional including the villain. What a waste of time.
Nanette
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fun characters but the plot is ridiculous!
Celeste
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good plot with well conceived characters.
The gold formula an alpha male/heroe and a damsel in distress and the birth of a everlasting love story.
A good historical, regency, ChicLit
iamGamz
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I laughed my ass off during this book! Maddie is hilarious. She's kind hearted, sweet, wants to save the world and gets into all sorts of scrapes while trying.

Poor Jack fell in lust after one look into Maddie's big blue eyes. He had no idea what that look would lead to. If he did, he'd probably run as fast as he could. But he fell and is now trying to keep his sanity while attempting to keep Maddie safe.

This book is easily the best one in the series and my favorite. The characters a
Kathleen
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I came to this book after reading Shana Galen's more recent books, and compared to those this book wasn't great. The characters were young and not very well fleshed out, and the plot was absurd.

I felt like everything happened because it furthered the plot, not because it would actually happen to the characters.

The next book in the trilogy, the fourth book, was written years after this book, and you can definitely notice the difference in ability.

I gave up about halfway, I couldn't
AndreaH
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Woman determined to marry boring philanthropist is kidnapped by a cad with a title. This unlikely pair is soon being chased by a powerful with revenge on the brain on the way to Gretna Green for the wedding.
Once there, a drunken priest marries Madelien to the wrong man -- the cad.
The two discover things in coomon, not least of all passion, something Maddy had always longed for. Now she must convince Jack to stay married.
Maria
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The third book in Shana Galen's Misadventures in Matrimony series was an adventurous romance with danger and excitement. The series follows four cousins and friends and their adventures (or, as the series title suggests, Misadventures) on the way to a happy ending. This book features Maddie, the reluctant, seemingly timid cousin who has an inner strength that shines through. For my full review on my book and history blog: http://bit.ly/HeCSJe
Jen
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked this, new and seemingly unread, out of a pile of books my parents' neighbor was giving away. I didn't expect much, but I have to say,

Ignore the cheesy, cliched cover. This is a really cute story, based on an actual historical event, and the writing is sound. I'm looking forward to rounding up the others in the series, in addition to reading the author's other works.
Kate
Aug 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Regency. Meh. Much heavier on the action sequences than the sex - everyone is constantly being ambushed or chased by the variety of people out to get them for a variety of reasons. There's the ubiquitous accidental marriage and misunderstandings galore. It got a bit repetitive and I stopped caring about the lovers half-way through.
Carla
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed this romance, although it is a bit of an odd mix of silliness with a backdrop of horror. A pivotal event was apparently based on a real-life one. Overall, a decent escape read. I'll be reading the next in the series, which runs on a somewhat parallel timeframe with the secondary characters of this book.
Katie
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable historical romance from Shana Galen. This one includes a carriage hijack, a wedding mix up, and a bear.

Maddie is all set to run off and marry Mr. Dover, a boring dog breeder, when their carriage gets hijacked by Lord Blackthorne and his brother, who are on the run from the evil Black Duke. Adventure and mayhem ensues.
Robin
This was suppose to be a Quartet but something happened (not sure what) and the fourth book is on hold possibly permanently. Fortunately the way this one ends you are not left with a major feeling of disappointment at knowing what happens next because you have a very real sense of the final Heroine's happily ever after. If its ever published its a definite buy IMO.
Ms. Jerry
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Book By Shana Galen.

A fun book with interesting characters and a mad dash across England to Scotland. I love all the books I have read so far by Shana Galen and this series is no exception. I would recommend all her books to everyone. Thank You Shana Galen for an enjoyable book to read.
Danette Steward
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: galen-shana
I guess this was a comedy. Fast paced, chaotic bad luck.....with a bad villein.
Agaughan68
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked it. Very typical.
Susan
An unfunny, farcical caper that has uninteresting leads thrown in. Insta-love abounds. Copious incongruous sex scenes can't even save it.

• Lord Dashwood Missed Out (Spindle Cove, #4.5)
  • Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)
  • Ravished
  • Tempting the Bride (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #3)
  • Beauty and the Blacksmith  (Spindle Cove, #3.5)
  • The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
  • The Suffragette Scandal (Brothers Sinister, #4)
  • Barbarous (The Outcasts, #2)
  • Once Upon a Wedding Night (The Derrings, #1)
  • Shanna
  • My One and Only Duke (Rogues to Riches, #1)
  • The Mad Earl's Bride (Scoundrels, #3.5)
  • The Heiress Effect (Brothers Sinister, #2)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • Ravishing the Heiress (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #2)
  • Dangerous (The Outcasts, #1)
  • No Other Duke Will Do (Windham Brides, #3)
  • To Dare a Duchess (Lords of London Book 5)
Shana Galen is three-time Rita award nominee and the bestselling author of fast-paced, witty, and adventurous Regency romances. Kirkus says of her books, "The road to happily-ever-after is intense, conflicted, suspenseful and fun," and RT Bookreviews calls her books “lighthearted yet poignant, humorous yet touching." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven year ...more

Misadventures in Matrimony (4 books)
  • No Man's Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #1)
  • Good Groom Hunting (Misadventures in Matrimony, #2)
  • The Pirate Takes a Bride (Misadventures in Matrimony, #4)