Start by marking “Manchu” as Want to Read:
Manchu

Manchu (Imperial China #2)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This novel transports the reader back to the savagery and the passion, to the opulence and sensuality, and to the great adventure of the last days of a dying dynasty.
Published 1980 by Mcgraw-Hill

To ask other readers questions about Manchu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manchu

Joyce
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Readers must remember that this book was written in 1984, before some of the more recent upgrades in attitudes towards women. Women in China have always – and still – have a problem with male attitudes. The portrait of a woman as subservient would be even more applicable back in the 17th Century than even now.

This is an exciting book about China, albeit somewhat condescending regarding an Englishman coming to the rescue, as per usual in these types of books. The ruling Ming dynasty is be
Andrea
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I already was familiar with Robert Elegant having read his articles on Asia in Newsweek and the Los Angeles Times over the years.

This book is a reissue. What I also didn't realize is that it's part of a trilogy--Manchu is the first novel, followed by Mandarin, then Dynasty. A huge commitment if you are so inclined.

If you like historical fiction [as I do] and especially that on Asia [here, in particular, China], this may be the
John
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: china
This was a really well-written novel of the Manchu takeover of China (spoiler alert, the Manchu win) that does well to bring the reader into not only the intricacies of the Ming and Manchu courts, but also into the culture and history of the times. It's an interesting point of view, to put the reader into the mind and heart of Francis Arrowsmith, an English artilleryman, who is assisting the Jesuit Mission to China. The story is told almost entirely from the point of Catholic characters, giving ...more
Ajay
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read it in School. Picked it up at random from the school library shelves and was hooked. It was a rollicking good yarn. I learned a bit more about Chinese culture and felt enriched. Of course this was before the internet and growing up in India where you idea of Chinese culture would be Bruce Lee and Hong Kong Martial Arts films.
Jc
Oct 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
China in the early 17th century, a Young English catholic lieutenant in the portuguese army gives a hand to the Chinese to fight the Mongols. It sounded very promising. After 110 pages nothing has happened, there is a myriad of different characters none very endearing or interesting. I give up.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Throw in soem passion, great battle scenes and a look into the mystery and intrigue of the royal Chinese court, and you have a winner. I enjoyed this tale of old China through the eyes of an Englishman.
Joost
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
A short review;

- Overall a good book
- Interesting description of China during the Ming Dynasty
- Missing parts in the storyline that in my opinion could've made it better
- Some parts seem superfluous
- Probably more fun to read while in China (due to references)
Elsa Binder
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up at random in the high school library shelves. I still remember what a good read it was.
Marius van Blerck
May 12, 2010 marked it as to-read
I placed this book on my "to read" list solely on the basis of Spike Milligan's observation that "All men eat, but Fu Manchu".
Thom Dunn
(My copy has no dj....Assume this is same book as the pb pictured above.}
Juanita
Feb 21, 2016
Dawn Barton
Aug 19, 2014
Lesley
rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2015
Apr 20, 2011
Henrik Hagtvedt
Jun 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Sampson Elegant (born March 7, 1928) is a British-American author and journalist born in New York City. He spent many years in Asia as a journalist. The Asian settings of all but one of his novels reflect that experience. He covered both the Korean and the Vietnam Wars, as well as four or five lesser conflicts.
More about Robert S. Elegant...

Imperial China (3 books)