Start by marking “Someone Like You” as Want to Read:
Someone Like You

Someone Like You

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  91,306 ratings  ·  3,784 reviews
The world is a terrible place not to have a best friend.

Scarlett was always the strong one.

Halley was always content to follow in her wake.

Then Scarlett’s boyfriend died, and Scarlett learned that she was pregnant.

Now Halley has to find the strength to take the lead and help Scarlett get through it.

Because true friendship is a promise you keep forever.
Paperback, Reprint, 304 pages
Published June 1st 2012 by Speak (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Someone Like You, please sign up.
Ari Todd Nothing too mature but you'll definitely understand it a lot more if you read it into your teen years, I would say 13 + but really 15+ for a full…moreNothing too mature but you'll definitely understand it a lot more if you read it into your teen years, I would say 13 + but really 15+ for a full understanding. (less)
Grace I think there were a few cuss words. There was also a scene where Halley and Macon almost have sex, but they don't end up doing. Halley also sneeks…moreI think there were a few cuss words. There was also a scene where Halley and Macon almost have sex, but they don't end up doing. Halley also sneeks around and lies to her mom about Macon, but other than that, this book was't as inappropriate as other books out there.(less)

·  91,306 ratings  ·  3,784 reviews

Zoe
May 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to someone who needed a time filler book
Recommended to Zoe by: Hannah
This book was straight up Sarah Dessen (Queen of teenage girly books that all have the same plot but are somehow still good), but I was disapointed by the choice of main character.

I've heard all about the bad boy boyfriend, the pregnant best friend, the writer mom, but I wanted to hear the story from the point of Cameron! How out of the blue would it be to read a story about a boy who moves into a new town and befriends a pregnant girl whose baby's father is dead?...(and perhaps is in love with
Kandi
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book hit so close to home for me. I'm sitting here filled up with so much emotion over this book. Scarlett's story is close to my own with her unexpected pregnancy as a teenager and her struggles. I even had my own 'Halley' to help me (my bf Sara) along the way to take care of me, tell me everything was ok, and just to be there. Everyone should have that best friend like the book says. I loved this story, although I wish there was a better ending. Something to really solidify it so you had ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
“I watched my mother do what she did best, and realized there would never be a way to cut myself from her entirely. No matter how strong or weak I was, she was a part of me, as crucial as my own heart. I would never be strong enough, in all my life, to do without her.” *Sniffs*

I have read enough books by Ms.Sarah Dessen to prove that she has never failed to give me exactly what I want from a contemporary YA read. Reading her books to me feels like going to that one true friend you could alwa
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨

★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆[3/10]

DNF @ 30%

My first Sarah Dessen book- I was like "nah" to the "ah" to the "no, no, no"!

Your Halley is.. no!
Your Scarlet is.. no!
Your Macon is.. no!
I need to let it go!
I need to let it go!

Kelly
In Someone Like You Scarlett's boyfriend, Micheal dies in a car accident and finds out that she is pregnant while her best friend, Halley is away at summer camp. Halley and Scarlett have been best friend since they were little, so Halley knows she has to come home to see Scarlett. Halley helps Scarlett along with her pregnancy, putting up with her mood changes and food cravings. Scarlett has always been the more outgoing, independent one out of the pair, but now that Scarlett is going to have ...more
emma
A 1998 take on teen pregnancy ladies and gentlemen!!! With all the girl hate and slut shaming you'd expect everywhere you wouldn't expect it.

Anyway.

This book was weird.

Only 2 books to go in the 2018 Sarah Dessen Reread Extravaganza!! I am a superhero.

Bottom line: If you are going to read a Sarah Dessen book, 1) yes do it and 2) DON'T PICK THIS ONE
Christina
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars!

Life is an ugly, awful place to not have a best friend.

This is my 2nd Sarah Dessen novel.
The novel opens up with our MC, Halley being dragged out of bed in the night while away at camp for a phone call. On the phone is her best friend, Scarlett. Scarlett tells Halley that their friend Michael has been in an accident and he died...he was also Scarlett's boyfriend, they had been dating since the summer started. She asks Halley to come home. Halley calls her mom to pick her up early (and
Zoë
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 5/100 of 2015 and "A book on the bottom of your TBR" for the 2015 reading challenge.
I wasn't really feeling this book. It was semi-similar to Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson in the sense that there is a introverted and shy main character who has always been outshined by her outgoing best friend and finds her confidence throughout. I LOVED Since You've Been Gone (my second to last read before this one) and I continually was thinking "Wow, I liked that book better. I wish I was re-rea
M
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
This book surprised me. Initially it was a solid 2 stars, eventually reaching 4 and settling on 3.5. I was surprised by it because initially it seemed so incredibly dumb. The novel opens with Halley getting a phone call that her bff's boyfriend has been killed in an accident. Now, this is high drama. But does anyone seem fazed? Mmm, not really. Scarlett, the bff in question, is washing dishes while she relays the news to Halley, and Halley's mom seems pretty chilled about it, not even wanting
Thomas
3.5/5 stars.

By reading this book I can clearly see how much Sarah Dessen has improved as an author after several novels. While Someone Like You is a likable, heart-warming story, it lacks the strong emotions and pitch-perfect writing of Dessen's later books.

One thing I would have loved was if this book was written in the perspective of a different character, namely Cameron or Scarlet. The story seems to revolve around Scarlet as opposed to Halley, so seeing her thoughts at certain points of the
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2012, 2015

This was my first ever Sarah Dessen book and it's always amazing to come back to that kind of nostalgic feeling.
Alaina
Someone Like You was a pretty enjoyable book. It did seem to feel like it was dragging throughout some parts of it.. but overall, I did end up enjoying it.

The story is about Halley, who is a 16 year old girl, currently discovering herself. Then there's Scarlett, her best friend, who just found out she is pregnant.. and to top it off the baby daddy is dead. The beginning was like a slap in the face. Halley leaves the summer camp she is at so that she can be at Scarlett's side while she is dealing
Reynje
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Is it just me, or do Sarah Dessen’s earlier books feel... grittier than the later releases? Well, “gritty” isn’t the right word, I know. Sarah Dessen’s work is realistic, painfully so at times, but not particularly “edgy” or dark, for want of better words.

My point is that having read Dessen’s later work first, then backtracking, I was struck by rawness of ‘Someone Like You’ in comparison with say, ‘What Happened To Goodbye”.

While I didn’t find the teen pregnancy storyline particularly
Mridu  aka Storypals
I went in this book thinking of the story to be completely different.
I was also very confused as to what the plot was actually about. First I thought it was about Scarlett and Micheal, then it was Halley and Scarlett, then Macon and Halley? Then it was about their relationship? Then maybe the mother and Halley's relationship??
I really couldn't figure that out, I just let that be and went with whatever way the story was structured and read it as a slice of life giving me a lot of lessons while a
may ❀

I found this book really hard to rate. Although I only rated it a two and a half stars, there were parts that proceeded this rating while other times, it flopped.

Someone Like You (still have not figured out the connection between the title and the story - help a girl out) is about the life of Halley and her best friend Scarlett. While away at summer camp, Halley receives a phonecall from her childhood best friend Scarlett telling her that her boyfriend, Michael, was killed in a motorcycle acc
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
Not my favorite Dessen book, but still great (obviously, because she's a fantastic writer)
Julie Zantopoulos
Maybe I've read too much contemporary this month and they're all starting to blur together or I'm getting annoyed by the common themes, but just, no. I was pretty frustrated with the parent/child relationship in this book. I was angered by the father's passivity and I was even further angered by a mother who was supposed to be a "professional" in the field of child psychology screwing up SO badly at simple communication.

I don't ever buy the good girl turns rebel without a little more reasoning
bibliophile (Romance Addict)
I expected this book to be so much better...

In the end, I gave this book 2 stars because I hated so many stuff that happened. I finished this book hoping there will be a conclusion to everything, but the ending left me hung up.

Likes:

1) Scarlet. She was a very balanced character, and I liked how she dealt with her pregnancy, and how she was different. If this book was written in Scarlet's POV then I think I would've liked it better because her story was much more important than Halley.

Dislikes
Sam! at the bookstore
Rating: 3.5 stars

"Life is an awful, ugly place not to have a best friend."

(whoooo I finally read the book where this famous Dessen quote came from lol I'm such a nerd)

Part 1: The Grand Canyon
First of all, great name for the section. It really represents how Halley's relationships are changing; as a teenager, she's feeling disconnected from her family and old friendships, and moving down a different path she thinks is right.
Scarlett + Halley have a great relationship; they're there for each other
Tatiana
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I don’t have a best friend. Sure I have friends. Friendly acquaintances, plenty. But not a best friend like the way Halley has Scarlett, or Scarlett has Halley in Sarah Dessen’s Someone Like You. So I spent the 24-hours it took me to down this novel (seriously need to find something to do this summer) being just slightly envious of fictional characters.

Even if they are going through a tumultuous period wherein Halley, like the comet, is experiencing all the pleasure and punishment of first love
Melissa Veras
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: Tina ( As Told By Tina )
Rainbow Readathon: Violet.

More like a 4.25☆ :)

This book was so good! This is my first Sarah Dessen book, and I can tell I'll be reading more of her.

I read this in one day, it was that interesting! I loved almost all the characters, even though sometime they made really -_- choices, I could understand where they coming from. And the friendship between Halley and Scarlett? GOALS.

description

Seriously, "the world is a terrible place not to have a best friend".
Kelly Gunderman
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Okay, so this is the first book by Sarah Dessen that I've read, despite the fact that I've been reading young adult books for like 15 years now and the sheer amount of books that I've torn through in that time is probably enough to go to the moon and back like seventeen times.

But yes, this is my very first Sarah Dessen book, and I absolutely loved it. In fact, I loved it so much, I'm i
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
15-year-old Halley is shocked when her best friend Scarlett calls her at summer camp to tell her that her boyfriend Michael has died, and Halley heads straight home to comfort her.

When only a few weeks later Scarlett discovers that she is pregnant with Michael’s baby, Halley and Scarlett don’t know what to do, but Scarlett isn’t sure she can go through with an abortion.

Halley meanwhile has been flirting with a boy called Macon, who seems to want more from her
Ashley ribaudo
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I would recommend this book to any teen age girl. This book is an amazing book, about how strong friendship can go through anything and get stronger. Two best friends that have been friends since they were young, go through an experience that not many people can go through. Scarlett who has always been the strong one is now depending on Halley who has always been the weaker not always not knowing what to do one. Scarlett finds out she is pregnant a few weeks after her boyfriend was killed in a m
Ying
Dec 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I thought this book was okay, but not the best from Sarah Dessen. A bit dry and boring at parts, this is the story of two best friends, Haley and Scarlett, where Halley seems to lean unconditionally on Scarlett. It is not until Scarlett's life becomes a tragedy that Halley begins to learn what it takes to be someone as strong as Scarlett. Covering a romance with classmate, Macon Faulkner, and the struggles with the binds of family as Halley continually changes and evolves while her mother forces ...more
Brittany Barnett
someone like you was a really good book. this book is one i couldn't put down there was so much stuff to read about. i would have to say that this is one of the best books i've read by her so far.
Denisa Luchian
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eva
Apr 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, but it didn't hold my interest. I normally read a book like this in a day, maybe two. it took me about 5 days to read it. It was typical high school, teenagers doing what they do. Kind of reminded me of the movie 'How To Deal'

edit: just found out the book was made into that movie. wow.
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
I missed me some Sarah Dessen!!
Jay G
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

3.5 Stars

Halley and Scarlet have been best friends since they were little girls. Halley has always been the quiet one, relying on Scarlet for most things. One night, Halley receives a phone call from Scarlet crying. Her boyfriend, Michael died in a motorcycling accident. When she quickly discovers she's pregnant with Michael's baby, Scarlet now needs Halley more than ever.

I liked how S
YA Buddy Readers'...: Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen - Restarting May 17th 2019 105 188 May 19, 2019 05:33AM
Someone Like You Review 4 24 Oct 19, 2017 05:56AM
Crazy for Young A...: Pair 1: Hannah and Ramneek (June Besties) 15 22 Jun 28, 2017 06:17PM

• Speak
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Honey, Baby, Sweetheart
  • Perfect You
  • Take Me There
  • Plan B
  • After Summer (Summer Boys, #3)
  • Just Like That
  • The Year I Turned Sixteen (The Year I Turned Sixteen, #1-4)
  • Saving Zoë
  • Second Helpings (Jessica Darling, #2)
“Life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend.” 12600 likes
“There are some things in this world you rely on, like a sure bet. And when they let you down, shifting from where you've carefully placed them, it shakes your faith, right where you stand.” 1259 likes