Start by marking “Daughter of the Snows” as Want to Read:
Daughter of the Snows

Jack London

Read Book* *Different edition

Daughter of the Snows

A Daughter of the Snows (1902) is Jack London's first novel. Set in the Yukon, it tells the story of Frona Welse, "a Stanford graduate and physical Valkyrie" who takes to the trail after upsetting her wealthy father's community by her forthright manner and befriending the town's prostitute. She is also torn between love for two suitors: Gregory St Vincent, a local man who ...more
Published December 1st 1987 by Star Rover House (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of the Snows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of the Snows

Start your review of Daughter of the Snows
Kirsten
(NOTE: This is a long review, because at the time of this writing, most of the other reviews, are short and would not have helped me make up my mind about choosing to read the book. So this is quite lengthy, but is designed for the ones trying to decide whether to read it or not.)

This book brings out very mixed feelings. I would do 2 1/2 stars if I could. First, this was written in 1902 which means it reflects the thinking of the time and of the setting in Alaska. As well, it is either London's
Ron
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-westerns
Here’s one for the white supremacy bookshelf. Hard to find a book with more crack-brained ideas about race than this first novel by Jack London. Set in northern Canada during the gold rush on the Klondike, it’s also a mixed bag of yarns about miners and adventurers on the north frontier.

The daughter of the title is Frona Welse a spirited and fiercely independent young woman whose main grievance is that she wasn’t born male. Being a woman she has to settle for living vicariously through the lives
K. Anna Kraft
I've arranged my takeaway thoughts into a haiku:

"Dull heartbreak wont do,
Ice queens like a spectacle
For crushing their beaus."
Susanna  Bonniemahonie
Nicht das Beste von London. Für zwischendurch als nette Geschichte geeignet. 😊 Passiert sehr wenig. Bisschen Liebe, bisschen Goldsuche, bisschen Spannung. Aber von allem nur eben ein bisschen.
Joy
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-rwyo
Charles
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Jack London. This is definitely not one of his better works, but I think it's accepted that his first full novel is lacking in quality, especially as compared to his earlier short stories and some of his later classic novels. The novel is bit purple in prose and drags in many spots. The central love-triangle story took up too much of the narrative, while the adventure-in-the-Klondike passages do not take up enough. Many characters are a bit one-dimensional and over-the-top as ...more
Kristie (fabk)
This is one of Jack London's earlier works. There was a bit of jumping around in the story, which may have seemed worse inthe ebook that I read than in a physical copy, since the jumping around appeared to happen within a paragraph.
Overall it was a really interesting story of the Klondike in 1898, the main character, Frona is a girl from the North who was sent away by her single father for a fine higher education. She comes home to the North, and proves that you can take the girl out of
Scott
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
200 pages of not much happening, then a pretty exciting rescue scene that makes the book worth reading, followed by a mini murder mystery that feels tacked on. All infused with weird treatises about the "superior Anglo Saxon race" and distracting dialects. There are flashes of London's brilliance, the reasons why I wanted to dig deeper into his bibliography, but mostly this is kind of a mess of a novel. But, oh, that rescue.
Brandi Davis
This is not the typical Jack London style of novel that I am used to (it is not about dogs :)). I found the love triangle a little long and boring in some sections and the adventures on the Klondike lacking in details. However, I did like the way it ended, it seemed very befitting to the characters and the story line.
Elcin Arabaci
May 29, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Jack London’ın ilk romanı, 1902 basım. Yazar henüz 26 yaşındaymış eser yayınlandığında. Ancak bu romanı yazdığı dönemde kendisinin bir hayli hayat tecrübesine sahip olduğunu biliyoruz. Bu yaşına kadar halihazırda yapmış olduğu Pasifik’te korsanlık- denizcilik işleri, ülkenin kuzey bölgesinde dilenerek yaptığı beş parasız yolculuklar, hapse atılma tecrübesi ve hepsinin üstüne Klondike altına hücum yıllarında bölgede yaşadıkları zaten 40 yaşına kadar süren kısa ömründeki yazarlık kariyerinin öneml ...more
Izidora
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Probably my favourite book. I keep returning to her all the time. Beautifully written with great characters.
Anna Karen
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To start off I must say that I think this is a wonderful book with a very likeable heroine. She is so accomplished that it might even put Katniss Everdeen to shame. The scene where the story takes place is also extremely vivid and I felt like I was back in that era, which was nice.

I did not know what to expect after reading most of the reviews here, so after having a very different experience I feel like I must say this:

This book is in no way, shape or form racist! The words racist and racism
Margherita13
Che dire... mi ci è voluta una notte insonne per finirlo, altrimenti probabilmente avrei gettato la spugna. La storia di per sé non è riuscita a prendermi: l'ambientazione nelle terre estreme americane e canadesi è l'unica cosa tipicamente londoniana del romanzo e forse l'unica che abbia apprezzato sul serio; per il resto, la trama è incentrata sul triangolo amoroso dei tre protagonisti, di cui la principale, Frona, mi è risultata davvero insopportabile. Inoltre, mi è stato a dir poco difficile ...more
Karina
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Imagine Twilight, but without vampires and werewolves, instead with a solid portion of racism and Manly Stuff™

For the first 20 pages I was sure that I'll love this book, these descriptions of the nature were so realistic, that I've almost smelled cold, fresh air with earthy hints, and felt the bright sun on my skin.

Then characters started to talk, and everything was ruined.

For like half of the book everything seemed to be in some order, but then, at the end all these incidents were like a gallop
Allan Ashinoff
"...that all men are created equal..."
Apparently Mr. London didn't subscribe to this American truth while exhaustively extolling the ruggedness and intelligence of man in nature. By far, in my opinion, not his best work.
Kenneth Flusche
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 1st e-book, fitting I guess for a book 1st read at nine years old and last read as a 1st addition letterpress. Not Jacks best book but great descriptions of the Yukon wilderness.
Dan
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tale of life during the gold rush. For me it was discovering the harshness of the environment that they lived in and also the harshness of the people who lived in it.

The story had its slow places, where I came close to putting it down, but eventually it would pick up and pull me back in. Despite the slow spots, it was a good story.
Sandy
Dec 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Jack London mix of story elements. The adventure aspects are fun, the society aspects, not so much. I dauntlessly continue my search through Jack London's bibliography for gems of the same quality as The Call of the Wild and White Fang. ...more
Lisa
This is another book I'm having trouble completing and which I dropped midway. While it's interesting to learn about the harsh conditions and various kinds of characters who participated in the Alaska gold rush, London's racial attitudes and sense of white superiority - which are imbued throughout the book - are hard to stomach. When I was "up to here" with that, I switched over to London's more famous and enjoyable White Fang, which I finished and followed up with my current read, Mark Terry's ...more
Henrique Cavagnoli
Livro razoável de Jack London.
Levanta pensamentos interessantes sobre o ser humano selvagem vs o ser humano civilizado, de uma forma parecida com a feita em "O lobo do mar", mas dessa vez com uma mulher como personagem central.
Li uma versão traduzida por Monteiro Lobato em 2001, muito ruim e enrolada.
Foxteeth
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abenteuer
At this point I'm so starved for female protagonists in classic adventure novels that I have like zero expectations. Just give me a female lead in a Jack London story and I'm happy.
Peter Polić
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack London is genious for describing landscape and forces of nature in harsh conditions. Altough this book is not as great as some other this writer wrote, it is very good description of importance of strong spirit and strong body in hard winter conditions, as well as importance of honesty in life.
Judee
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I had read a few of his other books, and decided to give this one a try. The story is about life in the Yukon during the gold rush, and the characters really come to life as you read. It is historical and yet every bit an action/adventure tale. I look forward to reading more of his works.
Liubov
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book because it is one of my favourite types of books with adventures and where people struggle with themselves and nature. But I think there was too much relationships and too much drama for this kind of a book.
Cristina Urdiales
I liked it as a whole, but it loses and gains rythm irregularly, it is too bombastic and a bit racist, too. Still, I appreciate the picture of life in the Klondike during the Gold Rush
Jared Murphy
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
London's first novel. A decent write but not necessarily a classic.
Invictus
Sep 20, 2018
Stefano Lodi
Jan 27, 2016
Jack London 1 7 Nov 08, 2012 06:59PM

• Rückkehr der Engel (Angelussaga, #1)
  • Animant Crumbs Staubchronik
  • Die Drachenflüsterer-Saga (Der Drachenflüsterer, #1-3)
  • The Dragons of Ordinary Farm (Ordinary Farm Adventures, # 1)
  • Exile and the Kingdom
  • A Muralha de Gelo (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #2)
  • The Children of Noisy Village
  • Der Struwwelpeter
  • The Grunts in Trouble
  • A Fúria dos Reis (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #3)
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Memorias del aguila y del jaguar (Memorias del aguila y del jaguar #1-3)
  • Weihnachtsbriefe von Felix. Ein kleiner Hase besucht den Weihnachtsmann.
  • Im Bann des Greifen (Gryphony, #1)
  • SkyClan's Destiny (Warriors Super Edition, #3)
  • Twilight (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #5)
  • The Sight (Warriors: Power of Three, #1)
  • Firestar's Quest (Warriors Super Edition, #1)
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti