Start by marking “Eyes At the Window” as Want to Read:
Eyes At the Window

Eyes At the Window

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  104 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
This historical novel, lilterary and engaging, examines a close-knit community of Amish pioneers over several decades.
Published May 1st 2013 by Good Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Eyes At the Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eyes At the Window

Donna
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I never finished it. It didn't hold my interest, I did read the ending to see what happened.
Becky
I picked this book up in Lancaster, PA on a trip to Amish Country with my mother and grandmother. This looked very intriguing to me, so I bought it.

I read the book over the course of about a week and a half. It should have been a MUCH quicker read, given the fact that the writing is simplistic and the story itself is only borderline decent.

This book is over-long, given the subject matter. To make a long story short, this book is about infanticide in an Amish community, which happens to go unsol
Dnicebear
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ms Yoder Miller steps into the freedom allowed in historical fiction and makes a complete and believable story around the documented murder of a baby in an Amish family in 1810. It takes 51 years before the real murderer confesses; meantime we feel the pain of the one who is falsely accused, and we get to live in the fields and cabins and with the decisions of the families involved. I felt right in there with the decisions the newer generation makes and the 'messiness' of the church leaders havi ...more
Linda
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because I am currently searching my family tree on the Brubaker side. They came from this same area of Pennsylvania and later moved to the same county in Ohio. The descriptions of the pioneer life were very interesting also. The whole concept of shuning the accused killer just on suspicion was disturbing to me. 50 years is a long time and his poor wife had to suffer with him. The reasons for staying in the Amish life are clear to me but they must be conflicted too. The lack o ...more
Genna
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it
A generational saga beginning in the 1800's that revolves around the murder of an infant and documents the lives and hardships of various members of the pioneering Pennsylvania and Ohio Amish communities. While lengthy and at times tedious, Miller offers a complex narrative spanning 50 years of loss and guilt, judgment and forgiveness, and finally of love. A rewarding and rich historic portrait of an often idealized group of people.
Pam
May 27, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-quit
I was not willing to finish reading this book. After reading the first 100 pages I realized that I was not in love with any of the characters and I did not look forward to reading nearly 400 remaining pages. Each chaper is written by the different characters and it has not yet engaged me into the story. I'm sorry, there are too many good books to read to spend time reading one that isn't enjoyable.
Terry Cook
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have come to love reading historical novels. This one was especially enjoyable to me as part of it takes place in my own state and county, and the surrounding counties which I am quite familiar with. It was like reading a history of my ancestors (although the charachters in this book are Amish). I feel like I have a better understanding of what took place when this part of the country was settled so many years ago.
Dark Star
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredible story of a murdered Amish baby and the sometimes terrible, sometimes heart-warming, and ever-challenging events that occur for 50 years in the lives of all those affected. Many characters, families, trials, tribulations, wonders; and at times, frightening experiences of living on the frontier and forging new homes, new towns, new relationships. Crisply written. Enjoyable from beginning to end.
gaudeo
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a superb novel, fully imagined and beautifully written. It's a generational saga of Amish life in the 1800s, rich with detail and blessedly devoid of any romanticism or fetishizing of the Amish. The characters are fully human and struggle to maintain their way of life. A mystery lies at the novel's heart, yet what I will remember is the handful of central characters, their temperaments, and their outlooks on life. I couldn't recommend this book more enthusiastically.
Danni
Jan 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I have never studied the amish before and I really enjoyed learning about a new religion or culture. The book was written as if you were reading peoples thoughts instead of having conversations or interactions. I guess I learned not to judge someone until you know the whole and complete story.
Kelly Broadwell
I found this book very hard to stay in tuned with and keep all of the characters straight. It is set in the 1800's in an Amish community and all the characters have simple names that they then in turn pass onto their children and there are sooo many characters in this book that half way thru the book you are so confused as to who they are talking about.
Kathyhillard
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I had a very strange reaction to this book. At times I was so annoyed at the back and forth way that it was written, that I wanted to give up. The family trees were so confusing that I found myself constantly looking back to see who was who. The story line was a bit intriguing, though, and this kept me reading. Not a book I would highly recommend, but I'm not sorry that I read it.
Robin Cianciola
Sep 09, 2012 rated it did not like it

This was possibly the worst book I ever finished reading and I finish all books I start as a rule. It took me SO long to read because it was ridiculous! In the end, every one died after the main character's life had already been ruined! Uuuggggghhhhhhhh!
Christy
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: amish, historical, mystery
This is a somewhat different Amish read it is based on a true story and I thought it was written quite well. It's full of detail and if you have the time to sit and savor you might enjoy. It's quite long and a bit tedious.
Edith
Nov 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
This story is based on a true incident of an Amish baby that was murdered in the early 1800's in the western Pennsylvania frontier. This story is told with an "Amish voice" and certainly conveys their beautiful simplicity and the strength of their faith. There is mystery in this story as well.
Mama
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Mama by: no one
I learned how easy our lives are here in the 20th century and the real hardships at immagrating to a new country and creating a home from scratch and plowing lands by horse.It tells of tragedy and dispare, but it also tells of there faith in God.
Vicki
May 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Although I liked some of the themes, I felt like each narrator sounded like the same voice, and so it was hard to enjoy and feel the characters. Everyone sort of ran together.
Angee Barbe
May 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
I love books with an Amish setting. This being in the 1800's and a true story give it even more of a boost. The real kicker is that it's based in an area of PA that I live very near to.
Julia
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of a murder that happened among the Amish. Intersting
Leslie
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Some of the characters are slow, but very interesting to read about how such a strong religion molds the events. I've always had a thing for the Amish, so i liked it!
Joyce
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This book was in my collection. Bought it in an Amish store in Shipshewana, Indiana. Has been recycled. Adult historical fiction.
Good but dark story. In the 1800s in Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Annemarie
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Interesting fictional, based on a true story of a group of Pennsylvania Amish people, "told" in their own words. The story starts in 1810 with an unexpected death. Very interesting characters.
Vikki
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this story a baby is killed in his crib. Reuben is thought to have done it and shunned by the Amish church. This is based on a true story. I really enjoyed this book.
Rebecca Berinstein
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-history
Long winded, but a fascinating look at the Amish movement in the 1800s.
Mary Lou