Start by marking “The Immortals (Immortals, #1-4)” as Want to Read:
The Immortals (Immortals, #1-4)

The Immortals

(The Immortals #1-4)

The Immortals: Wild Magic; Wolf Speaker; Emperor Mage; the Realms of the Gods
Published November 2003 by SFBC (first published September 23rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Immortals, please sign up.
Meira you can get them as ebooks and audiobooks on the hennepin county minnesota website. You could try you library system.

Start your review of The Immortals (Immortals, #1-4)
Debbie Zapata
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: saturdaymx
In this four volume omnibus edition from the Science Fiction Book Club, we are treated to the story of young Daine, the wild magic that helps her communicate with all animals, and the adventures she has while learning about herself and the life she is to lead.

This was not quite as compelling as Song of the Lioness, but of course the idea of being able to talk easily with any animal, to really understand them and know what they were feeling is the major appeal here. Daine had just as much to
Allyce Cameron
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So yes, as you can see I’ve been doing a little rereading. I finished the Lioness quartet and was still feeling a bit nostalgic so I thought what the hell I’ll just keep going! When I was younger this was my favourite of all the Tortall books, I wanted to be Daine and speak to animals and heal them, she was my hero. Again, reading this as an adult is different to preteen me reading it (thank god). For one thing I was so invested in Daine and Numair’s relationship, from the get go I was like they ...more
W
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Am I supposed to summarize the story here? I feel like I should but I don't want to so I won't. Sorry.

Anyhoo, this book is good. Would I recommend it? Yeah, sure. Did I enjoy reading it? Yes. Would I reread it? It's likely (but that doesn't say much because I reread a lot.) Tamora Pierce is a great author. I really like her books. After a while, though, I have become used to them, in a good way. I am somewhat in tune with her style and I don't mind. I would have given this three stars but a
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite series of all time. I love Tamora Pierce's writing, but this series tops it all. The characters are exquisite and the basic concept is fantastic. When I first read this series, I was younger and I thought it would be amazing to talk to animals. I still would love to do that even now and I am amazed that no matter how many times I read this series, I still love it. I think anyone who reads these books will enjoy them, but a specific audience would be young adults or teenagers. ...more
Connor
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"THIS IS AS LOVELY AS COLTS FRISKING IN THE SUN"

(Cloud has the right of it when it comes to these books)
Lauren
Johanness
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tamora-pierce
This was f****** Brilliant! I read this quartet when I was 11, fell in love! Just genius! The plot was brilliant, story, characters, everything!
Sonia
Dec 24, 2008 rated it liked it
A little old for young adults. There is sex in the Immortals series also. Not as good as her other books.
Kiana R Pfingsten
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Immortals by Tamora Pierce is a good quick series to read (4 books). It is only one branch on the Tortall Quartet series tree, but a very good one: not in the least because it has dragons!

Follow the journey of Daine and her fanciful animals friends! Sounds pretty cutesy, right? Well, it's not. Daine is a practical teenager who defies mortal logic, superstitious fears, and gods' wishes. She loves fiercely, intensely, and makes peace that she cannot always protect her loved ones.

This series

Date Finished: December 22nd

Book #4: The Realms of the Gods
Date Finished: December 23rd
Rating: 4 stars

I really, really enjoyed reading the series. I love Daine, and Kitten, and Cloud, and the wolves, and everyone! I've always had a soft spot for animals, so that could be part of it. I think I liked Kel's series slightly better maybe,
Katie Whitt
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Susan
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an omnibus, containing all 4 of the Daine books. I highly recommend them. They're a bit different from the Alanna and Keladry books, since Daine has wild magic, rather than the mage Gift; and she is not trying to become a knight. Note: the descriptions below may contain minor spoilers, since it is nearly impossible to describe the story otherwise. But they should not affect your enjoyment of the books! If you hate spoilers of any kind, read no further.

Wild Magic
After her family is
Andrea
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read these books a number of years ago, but I didn’t remember much. Daine is a delightful character, and I love that she gets to be strong without having to be seen as acting like a man, which so many authors think they have to do. I had forgotten that it included so many Alanna characters as supporting characters, which I really loved, as those are some of my favorite books in the world.
Wendy
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw Wild Magic on the shelf in my hometown library when I was in high school and have read everything Tamora Pierce has written (and I re-read them once every few years). All her stories are about young girls who take their lives into their own hands and live (and love) by their own rules. Fantastic for young girls and teenage readers.
Akimika
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-magic
This is honestly my favorite series by Tamora Pierce. While I very fervently love her other series, this one strikes a chord with me the most. It's got magic, adventure, romance, gods, geopolitical war, you name it.
Sara Holloway
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read these before, but always worth another perusal. Since I had read the new book about Numair, I wanted to refresh my memory about the events after he came to Tortall. Tamora Pierce is one of my family's favorite authors.
Kassandra
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this series! Tamora pierce never fails!! I loved all of these characters and I'm happy that characters from the lioness quartet were in it as well!!!
I.
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hands down my favorite book set in the land of Tortall. (Not that Alanna wasn't far behind.)
Marianna Salvini
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
All in all it is really nice :)
Evin Carvill-ziemer
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-read-next
Some parts are excellent. I found the budding romance between student and the teacher who discovered and taught her magic revolting in a book meant for young people.
Leah
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading my childhood fiction. It's quite magical
Sam
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Despite reading this as an adult - and therefore well outside the target audience - it retains its charm. For a young girl who is animal crazy, this is sure to be a winner.
Rebecca
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such an excellent quartet, I highly recommend it.
Robin E.
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a light and enjoyable read. Sort of mind candy.
Christaaay
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This review will cover the entire Immortals quartet by Tamora Pierce.

About the Series: As young Daine finds love and acceptance among her new friends, she comes to accept and grow into her powers—powers she must use to defend her new home, the freedom-loving kingdom of Tortall.

High Fantasy; Children’s & YA; published 1992-1996.

This series was one of my favorites, growing up, and it’s still a great choice for children and teens today. With its complete worldbuilding, unique magic, medieval
Margaret Rose
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Again, it is hard to give my thoughts without giving spoilers.

If your hands are on the Immortals series and you haven't read The Lioness quartet, I would HIGHLY recommend you do that first before you read this.
You don't have to, really, this series can stand on its own. BUT!! I personally recommend, going thru the Lioness books first, then this. You'll enjoy the characters more if you do.
_____

Daine is a female mogli (of junglebook fame). But make no mistake-- there are no babboons or bears or
♥Xeni♥
Of all the series in the realm of Tortall, I am liking the newest books that Pierce is publishing much more than these classics.

Still, of the classics, I'd have to pick Daine as one of my favorite heroine's. (In the realm of Tortall I'd take Ali as my all-time favorite, though!) I love her perspective of the world. Not so much the angsty teenager bits (well, there aren't so many, since she was forced to grow up young) but more so the talking to animals bits. Although I am afraid of a lot of
Nicole
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I definitely like the first book in the Immortal series the best, I felt it had the strongest plot line of all the books. As the books progressed it seemed the plot line got weaker and less thought out in parts which was a huge disappointment since I have enjoyed several series by Tamora Pierce.

Daine is a really interesting character who developed a lot during the series. I am not sure I agreed with how Daine handled everything in her life, being a teenager I could not see her being so
Liz Miguez
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These books only get better as the series progresses. It might even be my favorite of all Tamora Pierce's series; certainly Daine is my favorite of her Tortallan heroines. I have one question though, and this is a slight spoiler alert (though a very predicable one), but was anybody else a little freaked out by the 16 year old hooking up with the 30 year old at the end? I get that she writes the characters so they are at the same maturity level, and that Daine is an adult in her world, but she's ...more
Lara
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-series
Still love Tortall and everything about it. Pierce really gets into the mythology aspect of her world in these books, which I absolutely love. She gives a perfect blend of fun new characters and cameos from old favorites. I think I liked all of these books equally.

Books:
Wild Magic 4 stars
Wolf Speaker 4 stars
Emperor Mage 4 stars
The Realms of the Gods 4 stars
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2)
  • The Fall of the Readers (The Forbidden Library, #4)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • The Palace of Glass (The Forbidden Library, #3)
  • The Mad Apprentice (The Forbidden Library, #2)
  • Women Who Don't Wait in Line: Break the Mold, Lead the Way
  • What We Buried
  • Every Girl's Dream (The Mediator, #3.5)
  • Ready or Not (All-American Girl, #2)
  • Dates from Hell
  • Tamora Pierce
  • Tamora Pierce
  • The Dragon Quintet
  • The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1-4)
  • Eternal Soul (The Forsaken Gods, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: That Was Yesterday
  • Over the Bed - 30 Stories of Explicit Encounters
  • The Official A Game of Thrones Coloring Book: An Adult Coloring Book
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
“A good friend will help you up when you fall. A best friend will laugh and try to trip you again.
- I'm not sure”