Start by marking “Shopping In Space: Essays On America's Blank Generation Fiction” as Want to Read:
Shopping In Space: Essays On America's Blank Generation Fiction

Shopping In Space: Essays On America's Blank Generation Fiction

The works of Jay McInerney, Bret Easton Ellis, Mary Gaitskill, and others reflect modern urban life, but there has not been any serious critical discourse on what their work means--until now. British critics Caveney and Young argue that these writers represent a major shift in contemporary American fiction.
Hardcover
Published February 20th 2018 by Grove Press

To ask other readers questions about Shopping In Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shopping In Space

Start your review of Shopping In Space: Essays On America's Blank Generation Fiction
Rachel Louise Atkin
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
If my soul was taken out of my body and turned into a book then this would be it.

Edit: just read this in full and think it’s so brilliant for my research area. It’s my absolute favourite essay collection and I love the writers as well as the novelists they discuss. Just perfect.
Cecilie Larsen
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jeg har kun læst enkelte kapitler til mit speciale omkring "American Psycho", men de var værd at læse! Young skrev en af de første analyser af "American Psycho", og hun kommer med nogle interessante observationer i hendes analyse af værket.
Alison
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the guy writing his disseration on "Less Than Zero."
I bought this book at a used book sale in the auditorium of the student center at my old University. I think I paid a quarter for it, maybe fifty-cents. I bought this in the mid-nineties, at point too soon for 80s nostalgia and prior to the brief revival of Bret Easton Ellis as fodder for film in the late 90's/early 2000s.

The best thing about this book is that it led me to Catherine Texier, Dennis Cooper and Mary Gaitskill (and their very, very naughty books about not always pleasing sex with
Dr Tnge
Øyvind Holen
Jul 31, 2014
Stewart Home
Dec 25, 2011
Librarian note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.
Elizabeth Jesse Young was a London-based literary critic and author, who wrote principally on cult writers for a range of British newspapers and magazines. In particular she championed transgressive fiction, for which she received some criticism in the press, not least for her defence of A. M. Homes' The End of