Start by marking “Mixed Blessings” as Want to Read:
Mixed Blessings

Mixed Blessings

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
For 11 years, William Christopher played "Father Mulcahy"--the soft-spoken, sensitive army chaplain on one of the most successful programs in TV history, "M*A*S*H". Away from the public eye, William and his wife Barbara were living a private drama--they were raising a son with autism, Ned. 24 pages of photos.
Published May 1st 1989 by Abingdon Press

To ask other readers questions about Mixed Blessings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mixed Blessings

Marin
May 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love William Christopher from his acting days as Father Mulchahly on M*A*S*H, and we've even got tickets to see him in Aug. in a musical. Randomly, I found out that he had written this book with his wife (who as far as I can tell is an angel!) So on a whim, I picked it up from the library. Its not a story of his acting career, rather, a heartfelt story about raising their second adopted son, Ned, who turnes out to have autism in a time when most austic children we're automatically written off. ...more
Stephen Gallup
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is a sad story of puzzled acceptance of a son’s autism, written by a well-known TV actor. (Christopher played Father Mulcahy on "MASH.") After being failed by the normal medical resources one naturally turns to for help, the Christophers attempted the same home therapy program that my family did, and that I've written about, but they didn't stay with it long. I now doubt that program could have been a suitable option for him, but by the time they recognized that it wasn't working, they were ...more
Amy
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
With the recent passing of author (and MASH star) William Christopher, I intentionally went looking for this book.

At the time it was published (1989), this would have been an important resource for parents of children with Autism, but today, much of the information is old and outdated. Still, an interesting read about Williams Christopher and his family.
Debbi
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Although dated, copywright 1989, this is a heartwrenching story of one couple's struggle to get/ give the best care for their autistic son.
Marti Booker
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Beth
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I work with Special needs kids, most are on the Autistic Spectrum. I read this book years ago when it first came out and I had no idea that I would have so mush personal interest and involvement with Autism. I searched it out to read again and learned so much again. I am surprised at how little and how much things have changed. The main point about this book is how INVOLVED the Christophers were in Ned's therapy and education. I have seen many different levels of involvement on the part of ...more
Mike
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know more about the struggles with austismn
Recommended to Mike by: No one. I knew the star who wrote it and wanted to read it.
After hearing that William Christopher had passed away, I had to read the book he wrote (which I had gotten a couple months previous) so I dug it out and had a go of it.

This is not so much an autobiography of one of the actors from the TV series MASH as much as its more of a book on him and his wife raising an Autistic child. There are references to his work in MASH but that't it. The book is more of diary if you will of the struggles and triumphs of raising an Autistic child in the 1970s and 80
Miz Lizzie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Actor William Christopher and his wife Barbara honestly detail their struggles, the successes and failures, in raising their son Ned. Many varying diagnoses and interventions were applied to Ned before finally identifying him as autistic. Heartbreaking and hopeful, the Christophers don't provide any sure-fire cures or specific suggestions, just their own unique experiences (from the 1960s - 1990s) coupled with resources they found helpful.
Cws
Mar 22, 2015
Jessi
Aug 25, 2013
Jacks091
this book is really good and i think that evry person on this planet should read this book!!!!
Sebastian