Start by marking “Lion in the Box” as Want to Read:
Lion in the Box

Lion in the Box

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Retells the events of a special Christmas for a poor family in New York City at the turn of the century.
Published September 3rd 1975 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Lion in the Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lion in the Box

Cheryl
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
Very sweet, and, one would think, a typical Christmas story. But it's mostly true, as an author's note attests. I liked learning little details like how to make the 3D paper stars, and about the Partners who helped this widow, and about the comic strip Foxy Grandpa.
 Debra (WifeEclectic)
This wonderful book by Marguerite De Angeli, is a childhood memory that I will never forget. The Lion in the Box: A Christmas Story, was a part of almost every single Christmas of my childhood. My mom would read to us every night and this book along with The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, was always on the list. I looked forward to this book every year and begged to read it again when it was over.

I just finished it for probably the 50th time this morning and I am still touched by its simple messag
Kelly
Heartwarming, cozy little story of a poor widow and her five children being blessed with a large box of Christmas gifts- practical AND fun, plus some tasty food! A semi-biographical tale.
Roben
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marguerite de Angeli relates the memories her friend, Lili, has of one special Christmas when she was a little girl. Set in the early 1900's in a New York City, it's the story of a widowed mother and her five children. The mother is originally from Austria and shares many stories of her life there with her children. They are a poor but happy family. It reminds me a bit of Margaret Sidney's Five Little Pepper stories.
Anne
This is such a sweet children's book! I found a copy at Goodwill and I got it and I was pleasantly surprised with this story. It made me think of the things that I've been given and have been blessed with and the people who are not as fortunate and how I shouldn't be complaining about the little things that bother me.
Karen Beck Walborn
This was a darling children's 'chapter' book that is part of my sister's collection, that is now very hard to find. It was a delightful & simple 'true' story for Christmas. A great reminder of the power of love & kindness.
Nevada Libert
this is a really good book. about a brave mother who was poor with five children and still made the best out of Christmas. i love how she had such good coroage and how she new she could save up a nofe money to celebrate christmas.
Melissa Robinson
This was one of my favorite Christmas books as a child and having just reread it, I can see why. My grandmother gave me this book when I was seven or eight and I was entranced by the family's story. A beautiful Christmas tale to share with the children in your life.
Mazzou B
Much simpler than the other books by the author but still sweet! 'Tis a short story based off of the author's friend's childhood.
Ruth
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was glad I stumbled upon this. I plan on reading it to my boys on our beach vacation when I should have their attention, and then they will want to hear it again during the Christmas season. I fully enjoyed this book, and to boot; it's based off of a real family. I treasure historical fiction. I gather that only the dialogue may be in part fictional; the rest I believe is true.
Gina
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't care that this is a Christmas book, whenever I'm down, I'll pick this book up. This is the perfect example of kids that were brought up well. They had various chors to do, they were well-mannered, and pleasant. I just wish there was more of the story to read. And no, there is no "Lion in the box." :-)
Raquel
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
This a sweet Christmas story about a family in the late 1800s who must learn to be satisfied with the little they have. My girls loved this book, and I know it has a lot to do with De Angeli's way with words!
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
63 pages. Published by Doubleday & Company, Inc. Garden City, NY. 1975. A really sweet and charming story about the importance of giving and gratefulness at Christmas. A must read for families with children at Christmas.
Sandy
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful and short Christmas story. It would be a good one to read aloud to children.
Gayle
Sep 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Rebekah M.
Kids' book club read
Nina
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revisiting a favorite from my childhood as part of research for a project. Just as lovely as I remembered.
Laura Bang
Sweet little story about a poor widow and her five children at Christmas in early 20th-century New York City.
Nancy
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, christmas
A story from the author's friend's life, poor kids at Christmas.
Angie Libert
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely Christmas time read aloud!
JoDean
Rachel
Jan 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
2003542
For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margueri...

There is an extensive collection of her works (both literary and artistic), letters, etc. at the Marguerite De Angeli Library, in Lapeer, Michigan. http://www.deangeli.lapeer.org/
More about Marguerite de Angeli...