Start by marking “Five Women of the English Reformation” as Want to Read:
Five Women of the English Reformation

Five Women of the English Reformation

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Books on the history of the Reformation are filled with the heroic struggles and sacrifices of men. But this compelling volume puts the spotlight on five strong and intellectually gifted women who, because of their absolute and unconditional commitment to the advancement of Protestant Christianity, paid the cost of their reforming convictions with martyrdom, imprisonment, ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published May 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Five Women of the English Reformation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Women of the English Reformation

Jeremy
Referenced positively here (pp. 16, 30n16).
Shawn Trautman
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Very interesting content. I quite enjoyed this brief overview of these five women, their beliefs, and how they helped to shape the English reformation. At times however, I found the structure of the book to be cumbersome, making it slightly difficult to enjoy. At the same time it was a quick read, and well worth the time. This book whet my appetite to study these women further.
Sarah Bryson
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I bought this book on a whim. As an admirer of Anne Boleyn I saw in the blurb that the author had written about Anne and her religious beliefs and I thought it would be an interesting to learn more about Anne’s faith.

This book looks at five women of the English Reformation – Anne Boleyn, Katherine Parr, Jane Grey, Anne Askew and Catherine Willoughby. Each chapter gives a brief history of the woman and then moves on to talk about their religious beliefs, the evidence that we have surviving which
Paula
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Really good information, but the text needed an editor.
Ruthe Turner
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing book full of so much great information. I learned so much! Paul Zahl does a masterful job of presenting the lives, the faith and the courage of five women of the English Reformation. He begins with Anne Boleyn, 2nd wife of Henry VIII and mother of future Queen Elizabeth I, who was beheaded and buried in an unmarked grave. The author continues with the stories of four women who were part of a “inner circle” of believers who loved to study their illegal bibles together. They we ...more
Debbie
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
contrary to what the author believes,if you are interested in the history of the anglican church or king henry the eighth, you will recognize the majority of the women he wtites about.good over view of these women and the beginnings of the anglican church.
Renae
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good starting point for people interested in the topic. Not at all exhaustive; just enough info to whet my appetite for more. His favorable opinion of Anne Boleyn led me to read more on her, and I'm looking forward to doing the same with Lady Jane Grey, the author's favorite reformer.
Linda Kriese
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
Didn't really enjoy the setup of the book... I did enjoy learning about each women, but I didn't like how each section was chopped up, not easy to read.
Victoria
Sarah Carper
Oct 28, 2017
Casey Violette
Nov 12, 2015
The Very Rev. Dr. Paul Francis Matthew Zahl is a retired Episcopal priest. He formerly was rector of All Saints Episcopal Church in Chevy Chase, MD, and dean and president of Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry, Ambridge, PA.

He studied at Chapel Hill, Harvard, St. John's College (Nottingham), the University of Nottingham, Trinity College (Bristol), Wycliffe Hall (Oxford) and the University of T