Start by marking “McBroom's Ghost” as Want to Read:
McBroom's Ghost

McBroom's Ghost

(Adventures of McBroom)

"There's been so much tomfool nonsense told about McBroom's wonderful one-acre farm
Published August 17th 1998 by Price Stern Sloan (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about McBroom's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McBroom's Ghost

Start your review of McBroom's Ghost
Becky
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Ghosts? Mercy, yes--I can tell you a thing or three about ghosts. As sure as my name's Josh McBroom a haunt came lurking about or wonderful one-acre farm. I don't know when that confounded dry-bones first moved in with us, but I suspicion it was last winter. An uncommon cold winter it was, too, though not so cold that an honest man would tell fibs about it. Still, you had to be careful when you lit a match. The flame would freeze and you had to wait for a thaw to blow it out.

MisterFweem
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
First, I have to do the yell:

Willjillhesterchesterpeterpollytimtommarylarry andlittleclarinda!

That's how farmer Josh McBroom shouts his eleven children into the house as they're playing on his amazingly rich one-acre farm, where the soil is so rich they can grow two crops of tomatoes and a crop of carrots on the first day of planting.

And now it's my goal as I pass these wonderful books (this is the first of a series by Sid Fleischman) on to my children that I perfect McBroom's yell so I can
Shiloah
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was so fun to read aloud to the family. Add the Southern twang and it really makes the story come to life. We laughed and laughed.
Luisa Knight
The McBroom stories are sure to be winners with your kids since the tall tales are a hoot!

Ages: 5 - 10

Cleanliness: nothing to note. (It is not really a ghost).

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this book in the spare bedroom. Hadn't read it in years. My first though was...willjillhesterchesterpeterpollytimtommarylarry and little Clarinda. What a nice trip down memory lane of my childhood reading.
Michael Fitzgerald
Not at all a fan of Frankenberg's illustrations. His have nothing of the charm of Kurt Werth's.
Muzzlehatch
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Judging from the reviews - or lack of them - the McBroom books by Sid Fleischman have more or less gone by the wayside and disappeared from kids' reading today. That's a shame; while I wouldn't necessarily call them "classics", they're fun tall tales that are neither moralizing nor pedagogical, just good fun reading for kids, and the adults who grew up on them, or have a fondness for the old-fashioned tale-spinning that they embody.

This is the 4th book, originally published in 1971, and it
Ardyth
I know people love this, and I feel like maybe I liked it as a kid, too? But as a grown-up... I lowkey hate it.

Look, the tall tale itself is fine and fun enough. The problem, my friends, is the country, folksy narration style! I mean, *maybe* if you know somebody who speaks this way then it feels fun and cute? Maybe? If so, that's great. It's good to see oneself on the page. Enjoy!

But for all the rest of us, not so much. I question whether this is a fun tall tale retelling by Fleischman or is
Erin
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this faithfully as a child in the 80's. No idea how my family ended up obtaining it, but it was there. I looked at the pictures all the time as a child.
I bought it off Amazon (its from 1971, so woo hoo) for my students and promptly read it.
Ugh.
Not appropriate for my special needs class. It makes little sense. I mean, of course I "get" it, but its not my cup of tea. I remember reading it in the winter as a kid and this book making me colder, if you can believe that! I think it would be
Jodi
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny. There isn't really a ghost.
Siskiyou-Suzy
These McBroom books are certainly fun, and this book introduces a second silly element to the farm beyond the unbelievable, fast-growing soil. A "ghost." Sort of. It's just as fun as the others. Many of the jokes may be lost on the younger set because of contextual clues, but I bet they'd still enjoy a lot of 'em! Could be a fun read-aloud.
Angela
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my ten year old son. I thought this was a pretty neat book, but my son was left feeling a bit confused. The author used a LOT of sayings not to be taken in a literal form. The main character would say and I’m not lying, so my son was a bit confused as to what the underlying messages were.

This is a story about a man and his wife and 11 children who live on a farm that can grow crops in just one day. Of course with amazing land like that, the neighbor of McBroom is always
Donna Crane
My, oh my, it's been a cold winter this year. Why it's been so cold we've had to fire a gun up the chimney three times a day to blast through the smoke that froze. It was so cold all the red barns in the county turned blue and sunlight took to freezing on the ground. But the strangest thing happening on the McBroom farm is that a mimicking ghost has turned up. It can do dead-on imitations of everything from a crowing rooster to John Philip Sousa's marching band. The McBroom series comes from the ...more
Honya
This short story is a treat that can be read in one sitting. As with most of Fleischman’s works, it is a quick, light story that can be enjoyed by children but that has enough witty turns of phrase and uniqueness of concept that it will appeal to older audiences as well. McBroom’s Ghost starts out tall and gets taller as it goes, with Farmer McBroom telling his family’s experiences with a “ghost” one winter. The creative phrases of this tall tale are what really brings it to life, and ...more
Scott
Dec 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: childrens-book
This book was one of my favorite books from when I was a child. It is a strange and bizarre book with strange illustrations to match the story. Most of the characters are tall and emaciated with very distinct noses. Mr. McBroom is a great narrator who is known for telling tall tales. He tells a story of a ghost haunting their farm.

Looking back, it almost seems like it could be the basis for a short film by Tim Burton.
Jennifer Heise
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I adore McBroom, so I've read this to my son repeatedly since he was about 4-- before that it was too long for him to like. He giggles now (at the age of 6) about the tall tale, but I think he'll enjoy it more later.
Who can forget the frozen march, or McBroom's call for " “Will-Jill-Hester-Chester-Peter-Polly-Tim-Tom-Mary-Larry-and-Little-Clarinda” !
Brandi
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
In this tall-tale chapter book for transitional readers, it's a cold, cold winter on McBroom's one-acre farm when a mimicking ghost starts to cause all sorts of trouble. A humorous, fun, quick start to the Adventures of McBroom series.
Clare
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!! Another favorite from childhood. I loved how he called his children to him. Good old country folks with some tall tales to spin.
Melissa
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love McBroom and his many adventures. This is the first McBroom book I read. As a result, I've bought several more.
Hyrum
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I liked it because they all thought it was a ghost but then they found it was Heck Jones' weird hogs. And another funny thing is that the sun froze to the ground it was so cold that winter.
Aaron
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good read on a rainy night.
Kristen
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love McBroom! Wish he was in my family tree!
Lauri Meyers
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-book
Silly tall tales, perfect if you need to demonstrate exaggeration!
Sheryl Tribble
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McBroom is not McBroom without the Frankenberg illos.
Charlie George
First book I read on my own initiative, 5 yrs old. Sadly, I remember it not a lick, so I cannot rate.
Emily
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good old fun and farmlife
Alice Teets
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Some of the best children's books ever. I love these, and every child I've ever read them to loved them, too!
Adam
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and only slightly creepy tall tale set in the American heartland. Fleischman is a marvelous storyteller, a national treasure.
Kate SouthernBelleSimple
this was one of my favorite books from childhood. i have lost my copy but i'm getting it from the library so i can relive this memory!
Candace
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites as a kid!

• Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • Impostors (Impostors, #1)
  • Rabbi Benjamin's Buttons
  • Last Day
  • To Go Singing Through the World: The Childhood of Pablo Neruda
  • Caroline's Mystery Dolls (Sweet Valley Kids, #17)
  • The Popularity Summer (Sweet Dreams, #20)
  • The Popularity Plan (Sweet Dreams, #2)
  • Shouting at the Rain
  • On the Run (Sweet Valley High Super Thriller, #2)
  • Bossy Steven (Sweet Valley Kids, #18)
  • Kristy and the Walking Disaster (The Baby-Sitters Club, #20)
  • The Day You Begin
  • Mary, Who Wrote Frankenstein
  • The Eye That Never Sleeps: How Detective Pinkerton Saved President Lincoln
  • King George: What Was His Problem?: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the American Revolution
  • Spiders
As a children's book author Sid Fleischman felt a special obligation to his readers. "The books we enjoy as children stay with us forever -- they have a special impact. Paragraph after paragraph and page after page, the author must deliver his or her best work." With almost 60 books to his credit, some of which have been made into motion pictures, Sid Fleischman can be assured that his work will ...more

Adventures of McBroom (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm: Three Tall Tales