Start by marking “Love from Nancy” as Want to Read:
Love from Nancy

Love from Nancy

Contains Nancy Mitford's humorous letters to her family and friends. Mitford never wrote an autobiography, but this collection of letters provides a portrayal of her life and the times in which she lived.
Published December 1st 1993 by Houghton Mifflin (first published September 16th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Love from Nancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love from Nancy

Rebecca McNutt
This book is an incredible experience to read, capturing not only Nancy Mitford's interesting life, but also the changing world around her and the way she perceived it.
Barbara Mader
Jun 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mitfords
I think it must have been great fun to correspond with Nancy. This book took a good deal of time to read as I found myself jotting down the titles of various books, bits of history, names, etc. to investigate further, and the footnotes too took time.

April 2010: Re-reading. Such fun.
Karen-Leigh
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Every letter interesting. Her reputation is well deserved.
Maureen S
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh Naunce. I want you to be my favorite, but you are so nasty and complex, as your letters reveal. Loved this book, with some slight dragging/repetition in the 1950s that I skimmed.
Amy Warrick
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it

Face it, Nancy Mitford was often not a very nice person but her letters are so fun, I'd have tried to befriend her just to get her to write to me. I became interested in the Mitfords with a BBC dramatization of 'Love in a Cold Climate' which led to Nancy Mitford's books which led to her letters and those of her sisters... I can't imagine just coming to this book cold, without some previous acquaintance.

But I've had this book for years, in HARDCOVER no less, and still love to pick it up and op
Starlight
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
It took awhile to read this book as it is a collection of letters before during and after ww2. A sound bite of how the middle class lived around this time, their family relationships, marriages and love affairs. It portrayed how emotionally disconnected they were to what was really going on in the world around them - particularly the suffering during the world war
Maryanne
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
took awhile to get through her earlier letters but thy improved.It was real eye opener into the upper classes of the UK and made me feel how little they actually live life they seemed ti float on the fringes without immersing themselves.Even Diana although married to Mosley,did not see the trye impact of fascism on the general population
Jaylia3
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Oh, I am sad to finish this. Through her letters Nancy has been my companion for long enough that I will really miss her wit and company. Fortunately the book is full of post-its marking references to other authors I want to check out.
Kathleen
Nov 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Wonderful book - I would highly recommend her wonderful voice (with, unfortunately many of the prejudices of the day included occasionally).
Amy Hing-young
Enjoyable in parts - and nice gems historical insights crop up now and then.
Richard Smith
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've been reading this for over a year, from Nancy's first letters as a child to her last letter before she died. It has been a great journey, probably never to be repeated.
Dec 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Although they were extremely witty, the letters were lost on me.. they just left me feeling like I "just had to be there".
Kathleen
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good selection of letters. Always hard reading letters from the last years of her life, when she was unwell.
Wendy Ward

• Irrepressible: The Life and Times of Jessica Mitford
  • Dear Genius: The Letters of Ursula Nordstrom
  • Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead
  • A London Child of the 1870s
  • The Letters of Dorothy L. Sayers. Vol. 1, 1899-1936: The Making of a Detective Novelist
  • The Letters Of Evelyn Waugh
  • The Brontës: A Life in Letters
  • Look Back With Love
  • A Time to Dance, No Time to Weep
Nancy Mitford, styled The Hon. Nancy Mitford before her marriage and The Hon. Mrs Peter Rodd thereafter, was an English novelist and biographer, one of the Bright Young People on the London social scene in the inter-war years. She was born at 1 Graham Street (now Graham Place) in Belgravia, London, the eldest daughter of Lord Redesdale, and was brought up at Asthall Manor in Oxfordshire. She was t ...more