Start by marking “Hunting A Detroit Tiger” as Want to Read:
Hunting A Detroit Tiger

Hunting A Detroit Tiger (Mickey Rawlings #4)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  206 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
It's 1920, and all Mickey Rawlings wants is a .250 batting average, 20 stolen bases, and a regular place in the Tigers' lineup. But when Emmett Siever, an old-time baseball player, is killed, Mickey finds himself accused of the crime. Now, with someone seeking revenge for Siever's murder and the baseball owners pressuring him to speak out against the unions, Mickey must fi ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Kensington (first published March 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hunting A Detroit Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting A Detroit Tiger

Gbug
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
If you love baseball and mysteries this is the book/series for you. Set in 1920 with the Detroit Tigers. Mickey Rawlings has won a spot on the team. He has also been labeled a murderer albeit in self defense. Problem is he didn't commit the murder. This involves the early days of union organization in the big leagues. It is a fun read and I will look for the other books in the series.
Judy Parker Cohen
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very interesting book
Johnny
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I really enjoy these books where the mystery is at least as much associated with old-time baseball as most of the Dick Francis (and now, Felix Francis) mysteries had a tenuous association with horse racing. And, even though I read Hunting a Detroit Tiger out of order (I read Hanging Curve a few months before I read this one.), I’m glad that I did. In Hanging Curve, the social agenda of the author added to the suspense and mystery of the story. In Hunting a Detroit Tiger, the labor union/anti-res ...more
Phyllis
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Hunting a Detroit Tiger belongs to a genre I've begun referring to as "Mystery Light." That's not meant as a slur of any kind; these are books in which the setting is just as important—and sometimes more important—than the mystery itself. Personally, I like these books but it seems strange to put them on the same shelf as police procedurals.

Troy Soos, the author, does take the settings of his Mickey Rawlings baseball mysteries very seriously, maybe even too seriously. On occasion, you know that
Spuddie
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This review applies to the audio version.

#4 Mickey Rawlings historical baseball mystery series, this one set mostly in Detroit in 1920, where Mickey is currently playing ball as a utility infielder. Mickey, at a union organizing rally, ends up accused of shooting one of the principals, Emmet Siever, although he's not charged as it's termed self-defense. Trouble is, Mickey didn't shoot him at all, and he wants to know who's set him up so conveniently--and who the real killer is.

The publicity has
Sandy
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Mickey Rawlings is accused of shooting the head of the IWW union in self-defense, although he knows he didn't do it. The police consider it a shut case and unless Mickey can find definitive proof that someone else was involved, he won't be able to clear his name. Mickey winds up as a pawn in the battle between the baseball owners and players during the fledgling labor movement.

This one was not my favorite, although it may be colored by my recent reading of The Daring Ladies of Lowell, which also
Debbie
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: if you enjoy old-time baseball; or you’re interested in social politics of the early 20th century.
This is the fourth installment in the Mickey Rawlings series of baseball novel. Rawlings, an up and coming baseball player living and playing in the early part of the 20th century, turns detective in the name of social justice.

There was lots of not-baseball “stuff” in this mystery: labour unions and politics play large roles. I was interested in the history and the mystery but found that the book went on overlong and the plot became convoluted. I read this when I was quite sick with the flu, tho
Jim
Apr 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mickey Rawlings a utility infielder for the Detroit Tigers has just returned from World War One in time to go back to baseball. Soon after arriving in Detroit though, Mickey is identified (wrongly) in the local papers as killing a labor leader in self defense. Mickey must clear his name while avoiding the Wobblies who are set on avenging the killing of one of their own.

I enjoyed this novel. The setting is interesting as Soos mixes in historical figures like Ty Cobb and events like the labor unre
Donna
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I only have two more of the Mickey Rawlings baseball mysteries to go! I have love each one and learned so much about the history of the game. The main character is very likable and the mysteries are always tangled up with the game and what ever is going on at the time in the country, such as baseball unions in this one and WW I in the Murder at Wrigley Field that I just finished. I have enjoyed each one!
Gail
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I miss baseball so I picked up this book. I loved the history included in this book and the details of old Detroit. The mystery was pretty good too. This is the second book I've read in the Mickey Rawlings series. I think I'm hooked. I like detective stories set in the early 1900s to the 1950s. This fits perfectly and has the added bonus of baseball.
Kathy McC
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read. I had some difficulty following all of the possible suspects and clues, so I didn't figure anything out. It was fun to read the trivia about the 1920's Tigers and there were also facts about the Negro League teams that were playing in Detroit.
Jake
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoy these books more for the old time baseball and early-20th century atmosphere than I do for the mystery. It wasn't a bad one but it also wasn't anything to write home about. And Soos sketches his characters thinly. But it did what it needed to do for me.
Genia
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Troy Soos baseball mysteries were most engaging. I really liked the history references and the descriptions of the old ball fields. I would recommend them to everyone, and especially to fans of baseball.
Kenneth Flusche
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
read years ago
Judy"Intergalactic Bookworm"
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery readers/Baseball fans/Historical fans
See my review for Murder at Ebbets Field.
Catherine Flusche
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved the arguments for and against the unions--makes for a much more realistic book (especially when I agree with Mickey :-)).

Question to Mr. Soos--do you use actual recorded games when you write?
Tim Owens
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mickey Rawlings is now teammate with the great Ty Cobb. His euphoria is cut down when he becomes the primary suspect in the death of a players union organizer.
Jim
Jun 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: baseball, mystery
An enjoyable period mystery that combines baseball with an intriguing plot. I particularly like reading about historic baseball players--Ty Cobb figures prominently in this one.
Robert Kradoska
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
baseball, union agitation, murder, and some romance. Taking place after WW! in Detroit with actual old ball players in the action
JAMES C. VANCE
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mickey Rawlings at his best

Lots of fun. Quick and entertaining read. I
A must read if you love baseball and it's history, you will enjoy this series.
Wendy
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A mystery series that ties in with the early days of professional baseball.
Boyd Nation
Joe Jones
Nov 16, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • If I Never Get Back
  • The Detective Wore Silk Drawers (Sergeant Cribb, #2)
  • The Celebrant
  • SPQR VIII: The River God's Vengeance (SPQR, #8)
  • A Vile Justice (Lieutenant Bak, #3)
  • Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar
  • Blood Doctrine
  • Once More Around the Park: A Baseball Reader
  • The House of Death (Alexander The Great Mysteries #1)
  • Brittle Innings
  • A Mystery of Errors (Shakespeare & Smythe, #1)
Troy Soos is a writer and teacher based in Winter Park, Florida. Soos is best known for his "Mickey Rawlings" series of historical baseball novels (seven books set from 1912 to 1923). He also authored a four-book historical mystery series set in 1890s New York featuring Marshall Webb and Rebecca Davies. Soos has written a nonfiction history of early New England baseball history, "Before the Curse, ...more
More about Troy Soos...

Mickey Rawlings (7 books)
  • Murder at Fenway Park
  • Murder At Ebbets Field
  • Murder At Wrigley Field
  • The Cincinnati Red Stalkings
  • Hanging Curve
  • The Tomb That Ruth Built

“It’s gonna be locked.” He fished in his pocket and handed me a key. “If things blow up, you swiped this from me. Got it?” “Got it. Thanks.” 0 likes