Start by marking “F. Scott Fitzgerald on Writing” as Want to Read:
F. Scott Fitzgerald on Writing

F. Scott Fitzgerald on Writing

Published February 1st 1986 by Scribner Book Company

To ask other readers questions about F. Scott Fitzgerald on Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about F. Scott Fitzgerald on Writing

Start your review of F. Scott Fitzgerald on Writing
Rebecca
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An easy, quick read that provides more inspiration than any concrete tips on writing. Very interesting to get some perspective from one of the great writers.
Christen
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Just excerpts from writings about writing. Nice little collection.
Linda
May 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was a darling little book of snippets from Fitzgerald's writings. Going in I actually had expected a book written by him, FOR writers. But that was not to be, more's the pity.
However, he did enough tutoring and had enough characters that *were* writers (shamelessly writing autobiography into a lot of his works!), that we can glean a lot from all that. And that's what this editor did.
One thing was missing, which might have helped me, as I'm not altogether familiar with ALL of F. Scott's work
Craig Lawrence
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Picked this book up in a second hand bookshop over the summer holidays. Essentially, it's just a collection of short quotes taken from letters, articles and books by F Scott Fitzgerald. It merits 5 stars because Phillips has done a really good job of selecting quotes that make you think, smile or that are genuinely inspirational (at least to a writer!). I strongly recommend it - it's classic 'loo reading'! ...more
Whitebeard Books
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic-fiction
I am a Scott Fitzgerald fan so this appeals to me. It is little more than a hodge-podge of thoughts and ideas related mostly by the fact that they came from Fitzgerald and are associated with his profession. Still, it's always good to see how other writers think about what we do. ...more
Hannah
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
While I would have much rather read a collection of full works, rather than snippets and quotes, I found a lot of motivation in the contents of this book. Given to me by an old teacher and friend, I did a lot of reminiscing between these covers.
Brian
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Read it in a day, really in an evening.

It was decent, reads quickly enough, although there is some repetition since it's more a remix of things--a compilation of other sources if you would. Read it fast enough and things will start to echo.

Got a couple decent quotes from it.
Buzz Borders
Although it is only a collection of different fragments of his thoughts on writing an character, it is really hard to put down. It is amazing how he is able to come through time and again with solid information that any writer, of any genre, could find valuable.
Krassi Zourkova
Noah Broyles
Mar 19, 2020
Omar Qureshi
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fitzgerald was a genius. This was a pleasure to read. It is short, wise, and nearly perfect.
Christopher Plumb

• Liliom
  • Chronicle of a Death Foretold
  • Hiroshima
  • Storycraft: The Complete Guide to Writing Narrative Nonfiction
  • Start Right Where You Are: How Little Changes Can Make a Big Difference for Overwhelmed Procrastinators, Frustrated Overachievers, and Recovering Perfectionists
  • Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
  • Have Dog, Will Travel: A Poet’s Journey with an Exceptional Labrador
  • Good Country People
  • The Adversary: A True Story of Monstrous Deception
  • Death in Venice
  • The Shadow of Vesuvius: A Life of Pliny
  • Todo sobre nosotras
  • The Sun Also Rises (Fiesta)
  • Dream Big: Know What You Want, Why You Want It, and What You’re Going to Do About It
  • Weekends with Daisy