Start by marking “Sun at Midnight” as Want to Read:
Sun at Midnight

Sun at Midnight

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  1,070 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
An epic love story and adventure set against the stunning backdrop of Antarctica.

Alice Peel is a geologist. She believes in observation and proof. But now she stands alone on the deck of a rickety Chilean ship as a stark landscape reveals itself. Instead of the familiar measurable world, everything that lies ahead of her is unknown and unpredictable.

Six weeks earlier her l
Published July 1st 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sun at Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun at Midnight

Veronica
Dec 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Maggie O'Farrell
I'd never read or even heard of Rosie Thomas before this. I really enjoyed this escapist read; I got so absorbed in the parts set in Antarctica that at one point I complained that the room was cold even though I was curled up on the sofa next to a blazing fire! Rosie Thomas is so good at conveying a sense of place, and I liked the fact that it was clear that she had been spellbound by Antarctica, Alice's feelings about it a reflection of hers. I also liked her set of characters and the claustrop ...more
Jessica Howard
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, fiction
The airport scenes seemed anachronistic. Apparently this was published in the U.K. in 2004, but people could still walk right up to the departure gate without a ticket??

But the romance was nice, if a bit unbelievable, and the Antarctic setting was super awesome.
Barbara Elsborg
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this mostly for the descriptions of Antarctica. I really did get a feel for how difficult it must be to exist out there. Interesting dynamics between the characters but I wish, wish, wish there had been more between Rooker and Alice. It all seemed crammed into the last part which was very exciting, but not enough for me. I wanted more passion. Though I do understand that it wasn't possible at that point - not going to give anything away here - but earlier it might have been. Overall, it ...more
Nina Draganova
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Бях много приятно изненадана разлиствайки книгата, да открия специално посвещение на членовете на 11-та българска антарктическа експедиция и техния водач професор Христо Пимпирев. И много горда , разбира се.
Книгата има и много силни, и не толкова страни.
Беше ми любопитно да прочета за живота на хората, дръзнали да останат за дълго на този континент, още повече че това е разказ от първо лице.
Авторката е много добър разказвач с богато въображение и език.
Накара ме да съпреживея драматичните обрати
LindyLouMac
Feb 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Rosie Thomas is not only an author but a keen traveller and mountaineer which has provided her with excellent and well researched material for her novels. To research the Antarctic background for Sun at Midnight Rosie spent a month living with the scientists on a Bulgarian research station on Livingstone Island, off the Antarctic Peninsula.
I am a long time fan of her writing although I still have to catch up with her most recent novels. With Sun at Midnight I was immediately engrossed in this ad
Karen
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book ... gave good insight into Antarctica ... with a love story for added interest
Gmr
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Done! It was beautiful and poetic in its descriptions, while conveying a story that truly came from the heart. Our leading lady was nothing to shirk at to begin with but by book's end, she had come not only full circle the globe (well, in a manner of speaking), but also into her own sense of self. It reminds us that life is fleeting but love can last forever and is expressed in so many ways. While not a quick read, it is certainly a book for whiling away many an afternoon due to the length and l ...more
penelopewanders
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I didn't know anything about this author, but decided to sign up for this ray. What a delight. I loved reading about the Antarctic -and while reading it we had a presentation at our school about our earth which included quite a large section on the Antarctic... (red VW phenomenon)... I would have loved to have heard more about what happens to the characters afterwards, so I was left rather hungry for more. Only the very ending with the last minute meeting was a bit over the top to my taste... No ...more
Bambola
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well, clearly I liked this a lot more than many other readers, as it averages just over 3 stars... I loved the incredibly evocative sense of place in this book and for me it was something completely different to read about Antarctica. The overall plot requires a pretty big stretch over one decision the main character makes, but I could live with that and it had to be done otherwise there would have been no story to speak of.
Katy Archer
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Not realistic enough. Would not read again!
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
I ended up really enjoying this book even though it took me a bit to get into it. With a diverse, interesting cast of characters - it was fun to see them all thrown together. It was kind of like survivor, Ha! People from all over, from different backgrounds having to live together. And then, throw in the frigid cold weather and blizzards not to even mention all their personal issues and baggage.

The descriptions were great! I could really picture being there (and I would love to be there!). There
Nancyann
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sun at Midnight is a one of a kind story. Set mostly at a research station in Antarctica, Sun at Midnight paints a picture of human determination in a most hostile environment, allows us to witness a diverse group of people in their attempts to get along in the name of science, and at the central core is a love story of self discovery. Main character Alice Peel's stable life as an academician at Oxford is shaken to its core and her mother, a famous research scientist, convinces Alice to apply fo ...more
Elisabeth Bibbings
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
What a lot of research went into this book. Rosie Thomas sets the important part of the story in an Antarctic Research station, which entailed actually spending some time there. The story is a bit improbable, but then most Antarctic experiences must be like that - people from different nationalities and with different backgrounds cooped up together in a place of incredible beauty and great danger.
On top of that, she's had to get to grips with geology as well.
(Spoiler alert) I won't say much abo
Iria Cardoso
Achei interessante o conceito e a força da protagonista, apesar de um bocado forçado a realidade física em que ela se encontra. Porém, gostei muito da relação que ela cria com outra personagem, apesar de alguma forma dar a entender que nada irá sair dali.

Gostei do espaço descrito da Antártida, um local que poucos autores vão buscar para as suas histórias, mas que torna a história mais profunda e interessante.

Frase escolhida: "Não é uma questão de tempo. Vais entender-me, quando lá chegares e ver
Yolande Stannard
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have always enjoyed her writing. I love the way she describes Antarctica. The sheer magnificence of the frozen world. Living in isolation so close to people with no were to go. It creates emotions and tensions you can get away from in normal day to day life. It is interesting to think how a person would cope in that harsh environment. In a situation where everything is taken away so you can appreciate the splendor of nature and learn to respect the boundaries there of. Our Hero is a bit of a b ...more
Sara C.
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Até onde é que está disposto a ir para guardar um segredo?”

Sol à meia-noite foi um livro que me despertou interesse pelo seu enredo se passar na Antárctida.

A descrição da autora, sobre as paisagens da Antárctida, são tão reais que por vezes estamos lá com as personagens, a ver a imensidão de branco.

Este livro realmente transporta-nos para lá, sentimos o frio e o sentimento de sobrevivência que os cientistas sentiram, durante os meses que lá estiveram.
Recomendo este livro a quem queira descobrir
Linda Cook
Heather
This book was hard going. I have really loved the other books by Rosie Thomas but this one didn't grip me.
I love anything about the arctic / antarctic and so thought this book would be right up my street.
I liked the idea, the descriptions of the setting yet the whole thing did not quite gel.
I felt that the 'love affair' was rushed almost as an after thought and that the main secret would not really have remained hidden given the living conditions.
It was ok
Carolyn Thomas
I almost didn't make it past the first chapter but I'm glad I persevered because, in spite of initial indications that I had mistakenly picked up a sleazy romance, this turned out to be a decent enough story - well written, thoroughly researched, descriptive and atmospheric enough that claustrophobia was starting to take hold at the idea of being cooped up in a small building for days on end while a blizzard raged outside.
Janet Roberts
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this I was quite put off, it was so sordid and unpleasant, and I was just thinking this wasn't my thing. But then I went on a few more chapters, and it really improved and I ended up quite engrossed, and in the end could see why the first chapter was included. I shall look out for more Rosie Thomas books and see if this is a pattern with her.
Sharyle
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: polar-regions
Very enjoyable story with good writing. The main character begins in Oxford, joins a scientific expedition to Antarctica, and returns to Oxford. The story focuses on the human relationships among the scientific team. There are quite a few dramatic moments in Antarctica which build in intensity. I loved the ending.
Joan
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Club selection

This book was chosen for my Book Club. I probably would not have picked it up to read. Glad I did although it was a little slow in parts. I might have liked a little more character development.
Diane Felci
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great adventure / love story. Loved the descriptions of the landscape. I think this would be a great movie
Jodi
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great adventures and of course love story. I would recommend to others. Written is a very descriptive manner so I could imagine the beauty as well as harshness of the Antarctica.
Donna Goodwin
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I want to book a trip.
Rita
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Nogal romantisch verhaal, ook wel eens leuk, maar qua Antarctica zeker interessant.
Lucy George
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put the book down. Amazing detail made me feel like I was on the journey with them!
Jane Olszowka
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book Can't wait to reead more of hers
Dlsaint
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this more than I thought I would. The setting being Antarctica. But fairly predictable.
Tobilevine
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! The writing was beautiful, the story interesting and I felt transported to a place I will never visit.
  • Love & Dr. Devon
  • City Lives
  • Ripe for the Picking (Italy series, #2)
  • Balancing Act
  • Coast Road / Three Wishes
  • That Summer in Ischia
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • First Date (The Bridesmaid Chronicles, #1)
  • The Observatory
  • One Last Summer
  • A Taste of Temptation
  • In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery from the Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1)
  • The Balance Thing
  • Velvet (V, #4)
  • Charlie
  • The Misadventures of a Playground Mother
  • Pip
  • The Diamond Ring (Unbreakable Trilogy, #3)
Janey King, née Morris was born on 1947 in Denbigh, Wales, and also grew up in North Wales. She read English at Oxford, and after a spell in journalism and publishing began writing fiction after the birth of her first child. Published since 1982 as Rosie Thomas, she has written fourteen best-selling novels, deal with the common themes of love and loss. She is one of only a few authors to have won ...more