Start by marking “Schuyler's Monster: A Father's Journey with His Wordless Daughter” as Want to Read:
Schuyler's Monster: A Father's Journey with His Wordless Daughter

Schuyler's Monster: A Father's Journey with His Wordless Daughter

Schuyler’s Monster is an honest, funny, and heart-wrenching story of a family, and particularly a little girl, who won't give up when faced with a monster that steals her voice but can’t crush her spirit.

When Schuyler was 18 months old, a question about her lack of speech by her pediatrician set in motion a journey that continues today.  When she was diagnosed with Bilater
Published February 19th 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Schuyler's Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schuyler's Monster

Start your review of Schuyler's Monster: A Father's Journey with His Wordless Daughter
Julie Rummel-hudson
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Everyone must read this book. Not just because it's about my daughter and husband, but it's an excellent read. Robert is a fantastic writer. His writing is warm and inviting and makes you feel like you are talking to him face to face. Enjoy!
Rachel
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am on page 221 of 273. you might like (or hate) this book if you are a speech pathologist..................which you likely are not, but you might like it anyways. it's about a families quest to find out why their daughter doesn't speak and then about the uphill struggle with the school district to get her an appropriate augmenative/ alternative communication device. it gives a really good look at the perspective of a parent of a child with a disability. It makes me wonder how certain people i ...more
Gin
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, especially those who work with children
I've resisted buying this book until now because I've followed the author's blog for nearly 10 years. But I didn't resist because I knew the story. Instead, I was afraid in the editing, the author's voice would be lost. It wasn't. Rob is there with his quirky, twisted mind still intact, and so is his deep love for his daughter. Excellent book. Well written and a good read.
Catie Currie
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I believe that Robert did a wonderful job of drawing the reader in with his humor and down to earth take on life. He enabled the reader to feel his pain and understand the struggle of having a nonverbal child, but without making it a gloomy read. It is certainly pessimistic, but in a funny, sarcastic way that allows the reader to see occasionally see glimpses the love, hope, and struggle in Robert’s mind. Additionally, he is a wonderful writer and has crammed the book full of wonderful quotes ab ...more
Rachel
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was surprised by a few things in things in this book; first that the author didn't commemorate his daughters first words, and second that an agnostic could find belief in God if only to lay blame.

In a book with the purpose of documenting the author's daughters wordless journey through life, one would expect a thorough documentation of his daughters first words. I was disappointed that he could remember in great detail other experiences but glosses over Schuyler's first words by lumping a few o
Stephen Gallup
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Parent memoirs about kids with problems come out pretty regularly every year, and I've read a bunch of them. Some present a detailed picture of a hellish life in which hope never rears its head. Some tell the story of a cure (unconventional, of course--just about any time a developmentally disabled kid makes real progress it's the result of trying something unusual) and thereby incite a stampede of families seeking to emulate what was done (alas, without comparable success). Some take the attitu ...more
Angie
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
People pick up this book and expect it to be a warm, fluffy memoir about a father's love for his daughter. And it is, don't get me wrong, but it's also a humane look at how people's lives are sometimes turned upside-down by having a "special-needs" child.

I first heard of this book from my mother, who had bought it and read it and continued to follow Rob's blog. I even teased my mother that I think she loved Schuyler more than she loved me and that made her say, "... well, actually, she's kinda l
Bev Sykes
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: families
A lot of people have been waiting for this book for a long time, and thank goodness it was well worth the wait. Many of us first encountered Schuyler either just before or shortly after her birth, through reading Rob's web site, then called "Darn Tootin'" (now called "My Beloved Monster andMe"). We watched as Rob and Julie struggled with growing awareness that Schuyler's slowness to talk was more than just slowness. We cried with them as they learned of her "monster," Congenital Bilateral Perisy ...more
Heather
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just started this book a couple of days ago. My wonderful sister-in-law let me borrow it. I am really enjoying it so far. disorders fasinate me. I know that is weird and possibly sad. but I find it interesting. I can't imagine what is that must be like is have a "special needs" child. I know Rob (the author) does not like that title. I will update you with more when I am finished.

ok so I finished. It was wonderful..the child, the parents, the teachers in the Plano ISD, and the love the dad ha
Kara Thomas
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents, People interested in learning more about special needs children
Recommended to Kara by: Katz Nancy from NJ
It isn't very often that I give a book 5 stars, but this book really connected with my heart. As the mother of a son, who has his speech questioned countless times, I thought I might have some what of an understanding of these people were going through. How wrong I was. I don't think that I could even imagine what a challenge that they were presented and continue to fight through. I am so amazed by the honesty of this story that I will recommend it to other's to read. He doesn't pull any punches ...more
Nette
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book caught me by surprise -- I picked it up from the library during a dry spell and ended up reading it one sitting. The author has a likable, quirky style, the story is compelling, but I found the most fascinating aspect to be the technology that comes to the rescue when things are most desperate. 25 years ago, this smart, funny little girl would have been out of luck, but today, thanks to an unseen army of scientists and computer geeks, and of course, her stubborn parents insisting on ob ...more
Nataliec7
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This book wasn't what I expecting at all, it surprised me more than anything. It leads you from the birth of Schuyler up to the age of 7. And what we get is the uphill battle that this family has faced in getting an 'actual diagnosis' of Bilateral Perisylvian Polimicrogyria to then fighting for her to have a way to communicate. I'm shocked that this proved to be so difficult and they had to be persistent in order to get the aids that Schuyler needed.
I enjoyed learning about Schuyler's perseveran
Rosanna
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I kept reading because Schuyler was so damn cute on the front cover and she stole my heart! There was a lot I didn't really like, namely the writing style and the pages and pages all about the details of one speech device. I realise this was important to Robert and his family, but the details were not necessary and boring. Also, I know Schuyler's family choose to speak of her inability to speak as a "monster", but I felt that was degrading and unkind to her, especially as she can't verbalise how ...more
Naber
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author writes this story about his daughter who has a congenital brain abnormality that robs her of speech. It details the struggles of finding a diagnosis, strategies to help her communicate and the stress in dealing with the special education system. Above all it is a story of a father’s love. It is told with sarcasm, wit and outright humor and the reader shares in the joy when they find a school where she is understood and thrives.
Lora Schreiber
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a former teacher, I totally enjoyed reading this book. Sometimes I cried for Schuyler and her parents troubles with their school district. As a teacher, I hit many of those walls put up by the 'experts' and the people with the purse strings. I always encouraged parents to advocate for their child. If they don't, who will? That was my motto to them. Can't wait to share this book and check out Rob's blog!
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. From a soon to be speech-language pathologist perspective it fascinated me and enlightened me. From a humanistic perspective, this book is everything anyone could ask for. I cried, laughed, felt anger, and hope and I'm glad I was introduced into the world of this little monster-slayer. It reaffirmed my faith in my chosen field of work.
Zoey Schaefer
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
As an educator, it was good to be reminded of the parents side in education, especially in regards to students with special needs. Everyone needs to look at others based on what they can do instead of what they can't do. Kudos to Schuyler's parents for being her voice and knowing what she needed to be successful!
Arianna Padbury
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rummel-Hudson has taken what could be a heartbreaking story of obstacle after obstacle and turned it into a beautiful, hopeful, joyous narrative of love and devotion, all while keeping it crazy real, even through the hard stuff. Amazing.
Jean
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-books
A very touching memoir of a father's struggle with his daughter's diagnosis of a rare brain disease. His journey and his daugher Schuyler's journey is very well told through their sturggles to find a correct diagnosis and treatment.
Roseann Gaylord
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome and engaging!

I highly recommend this book! I applaud these parents, they never gave up on their daughter or each other. The writing style was clever and witty. God knew what he was doing when he created this family! A must read!
Emily
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago, and I just read it for one of my Speech Language Pathology courses (reading it slowly, which is why it took a bit of time to read)! I truly enjoy it, and it is so fascinating to read with the perspective of what I am now studying.
Holly
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. The author’s choice of words to talk about disability I understand but ultimately I think those words and mindset contribute to the challenges he fears most for his daughter.
Stevie Causey
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"It was the rest of my life, this love. I would never have the option of choosing whether or not this was a relationship that worked for me. I was Schuyler's prisoner now, and it was in that captivity that I had achieved my life's joy."

As the mother to a child with SN this book changed me so profoundly. It was beautiful and terrible and raw and wonderful and all-encompassing. It was both a reflection and an escape. Highly recommended!
Vicki
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I picked this up to read mostly for professional reasons, but I found most of it to be a wonderful book. The first third I had to force myself to keep reading. To me it sounded like the self-indulgent blogs (written by people who are strangers to me) about fatherhood and having young children that I tend to avoid. I'm happy you fell in love with your daughter but I don't need to hear about it in that kind of detail.

Anyways, the second third of the book discusses the process of getting a diagnos
Lisa
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the account of the Rummel-Hudson family’s journey to identify and tame (for lack of a better descriptor) their daughter Schuyler’s “monster.” Schuyler is a beautiful, happy child with a bubbly personality. Only when her pediatrician begins to question her speech (or lack thereof) do her parents realize something is lurking beneath the surface. After much evaluation, it is discovered that Schuyler has an extremely rare disorder of the brain that impacts her ability to speak. I rarely read ...more
Jill
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Not since Baby Catcher have I laughed out loud like this at a sad but funny memoir. I totally dug the author's sense of humor, the pacing and readability were fluid, and boy, what a great name that kid has. :)

It was also an interesting read because of the subject matter, and Rummel-Hudson balances the amount of "doctor speak" with lots of plain and simple explanations about Schuyler's condition. The part I found most fascinating about her condition was how she can say "mmmm" and "eee" but not "
Kristen
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The first quarter of the book would have been more aptly named "Schuyler's Dad" because it describes in great detail his trombone playing skills and many of the experiences he had prior to becoming a father. That would have been interesting had it had any relevance to the book about his daughter's handicap and how she and her family manage to tame it. Once he gets to Schuyler the book gets much better. His love for his daughter really shines through and despite her "monster" Schuyler is a lucky ...more
Caitlin
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents of a special needs child, people who know parents of a special needs child
In some ways reading this book was like staring into a mirror. Rob (I want to call the author by his first name because his narrative comes off in such a personal way it feels like I know him) talks about the shocking realization that his daughter isn't developing normally just like we did with our daughter. He talks about the crushing discouragement that comes from having no diagnosis just like we are experiencing. He describes the strange paradox of relief and dread when finally finding a name ...more
Abby
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Before I review this book, you should know this: "Schuyler" is pronounced "Skylar", and she is a girl. The author (her dad) was relieved she was not a boy because the mom was going to name her something weird if she was a dude. If she was a boy, she was going to be named Jasper. Jasper is the name of my mother in law's late cat (rest his kitty soul), but it is still a better name than Schuyler. Really, it's a pretty weird name.

That said, I love Schuyler. I even liked her dad, who is super libera
Kalista
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Communication is the most fundamental of human capacities. People need to be able to communicate to fulfill their social, educational, emotional and vocational potential."
- From the International Communication Project (http://www.internationalcommunication...)

What a journey of ups and downs this family has had. I applaud them for advocating for and challenging their daughter in the face of an education system that was unfortunately not easy no navigate. They made some big decisions about their
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Where Is the Mango Princess?: A Journey Back from Brain Injury
  • Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope Mystery, #5)
  • Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism
  • Enrique's Journey
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • Egghead; or, You Can't Survive on Ideas Alone
  • How They Met, and Other Stories
  • Mind and Matter: A Life in Math and Football
  • Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools
  • The Wanderers
  • Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto
  • The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook
  • The Van Apfel Girls Are Gone
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • The Other Family
  • Dumb: Living Without a Voice
  • The Falls
  • Fidelity
Robert Rummel-Hudson is the author of Schuyler's Monster, published by St. Martin's Press in February 2008. He and his family currently live in Plano, Texas.

His work has been featured in Good Housekeeping (February 2008) and Wondertime (March 2008). His book was reviewed in People, receiving 3.5 out of 4 stars.

More of Robert’s observations can be found on his blog, Fighting Monsters with Rubber S