Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Tags, Whose Life Is It Anyway?” as Want to Read:
Tags, Whose Life Is It Anyway?
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Tags, Whose Life Is It Anyway?

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  546 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Ken Harrison, is a successful sculptor with a beautiful girlfriend and everything to live for until a car wreck leaves him paralyzed for life, with no hope of physical recovery. When this charming, witty, angry young man chooses to die his doctors and nurses are determined that he must continue to live.
Paperback, 84 pages
Published 2000 by Cornelsen (first published January 1st 1979)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Tags, Whose Life Is It Anyway?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tags, Whose Life Is It Anyway?

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Ahmad Sharabiani
Whose Life Is It Anyway? (Heinemann Plays), Brian Clark
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: چهارم ماه اکتبر سال 2008 میلادی
عنوان: بالاخره این زندگی مال کیه؟؛ نویسنده: برایان کلارک؛ مترجم: احمد کسایی پور؛ تهران، کارنامه، 1385؛ در 132 ص؛ شابک: 9644310667؛ موضوع: نمایشنامه های نویسندگان انگلیسی - قرن 20 م
بالاخره این زندگی مال کیه؟ درباره حق انتخاب است که والاترین حق نیز همانا حق انتخاب حیات و تداوم آن است. برایان کلارک بر آن است تا در مرکز ثقل نمایش یک قطع نخاعی را قرار بدهد که او هیچ حق انتخابی ندارد بلکه از طرف ب
...more
Maryam
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
یک نمایشنامه واقعا جذاب و خوندنی درباره شخصیتی که زندگی رو مساوی زنده بودن نمیدونه.
Narges Salmanizadeh
بالاخره این زندگی مال کیه؟ نمایشنامه ای است درباره تصمیم کن هریسن (مجسمه ساز و استاد دانشگاهی که در اثر یک سانحه رانندگی برای همیشه فلج می شود) و مبارزه بین او و کادر بیمارستان برای بدست آوردن حق مرگ !!!
این نمایشنامه بسیار پر قدرت، نثر روان و جذاب، درگیر کننده، گاها طنز، تفکر برانگیز و خواندنیست

تصویر سازی داستان فوق العاده جذابه و کاملا ذهنتو درگیر می کنه

آیا ما به عنوان یک انسان (در کمال سلامت کامل روانی) این حق رو داریم که اگه یه جایی احساس کردیم دیگه قادر به ادامه ی زندگی نیستیم مرگ رو برای
...more
Golnaz
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
همیشه عقیده داشتم ما انسانها اجازه نداریم به تصمیم خودمون بمیریم. وقتی تولدمون دست خودمون نیست پس نباید مرگمون هم دست خودمون باشه. ولی این کتاب منو برده تو دنیای تردید. حالا دیگه نمیتونم با قطعیت نظر بدم، تشخیص این که آدما این حق رو دارن یا نه خیلی پیچیدهتره؛
«اگه من تصمیم بگیرم زندگی کنم و جامعه منو بکشه، این کار خیلی نفرتانگیزیه. اگه تصمیم بگیرم بمیرم و جامعه منو زنده نگه داره هم به همون اندازه نفرتانگیزه؛»
...more
Farzane
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, play
نمایشنامه ی تکان دهنده ای بود. به شدت تحت تاثیر شخصیت کن هریسن قرار گرفتم. واقعا وقتی نمیشه زندگی کرد، تلاش برای حفظ توهمی به نام زندگی زیر پا گذاشتن حرمت انسانه و ظالمانه س.
nigo0ol
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
یه نمایشنامه ی جذاب و جالب، من که خیلی لذت بردم از خوندنش، یه سری نکات کلیدی داشت برام
Denise Lancaster
Tengo un problema con el final.
Mejor dicho, con el final que tiene el protagonista.
Dejarlo morir dignamente hubiese sido lo ideal. Suicidio asistido o eutanasia, pero sin que sufra.
El final es triste. El protagonista obtiene lo que desea, pero... el modo al que va a llegar a eso, es correcto? Personalmente me parece cruel e inhumano, simplemente dejarlo morir, al dejar de alimentarlo y tratarlo. Es una muerta lenta y dolorosa.
A lo largo de entre 3-6 días, el tipo iba a sufrir y a sentir el hamb
...more
Mariam Maarouf
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WLIA is a classic play, all about the conflict between professionalism and the right to decide for one's self. Ken Harrison is paralyzed for life, with no hope of physical recovery. In an attempt to keep what's left of his dignity, and protect his loved ones from a fate of misery, imprisoned by sympathy for him, he decides to end his life. Everyone around him in the hospital tries their best to stop him, but for the intelligent person he is, they can't stand a chance in an argument.
All in all,
...more
Mahshad
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

نمایشنامه درباره یک مجسمه ساز و استاد دانشگاه هست که در یک تصادف فلج میشه و تصمیم میگیره بمیره
نمایشنامه درباره اراده آزاد انسان در زندگیه
عالی بود یک روزه خوندمش
مهرداد اصیل
این نمایشنامه فوقالعاده است. اول که میخواندمش فکر کردم صرفاً دربارهی اتانازی حرف میزند، اما هر چه جلوتر رفتم به نظرم رسید که موضوع نمایشنامه جدیتر از این حرفهاست؛ چون تو ذهن من پرسشهایی مثل این را طرح کرد که زندگی چیست و ما برای چی زندهایم و چرا زندگی میکنیم. شخصیت کن هریسن واقعاً خوب پرداخته شده و آنچه تو کل داستان به چشمم خورد این بود که کسی که تو داستان فکر میکند این زندگی ارزش زیستن ندارد، در واقع بیش از شخصیتهای دیگر از زندگی لذت برده و آن را دوست دارد. یکی دو سال پیش هم اشکان خیلنژاد به اف ...more
Ramtin
کن هریسن ، مجسمه ساز و استاد دانشگاه در پی یک سانحه رانندگی برای همیشه فلج می شود . وضعیت جسمانی درمان ناپذیرش چنان است که او تصمیم میگیرد بمیرد. مبارزه او برای به دست آوردن حق مرگ، به موضوع نمایشنامه پر قدرتی بدل میشود که مسایل بسیار مهمی را در زمینه حرمت انسانی و حوزه اخلاق مطرح میکند. بالاخره این زندگی مال کیه؟ نمایشنامه ی تکان دهنده ای است هم شوخ طبعانه و هم شفقت آمیز- تفکر برانگيز و خواندنی
Charlotte
Thought-provoking and raw. Ken's sarcastic, razor-sharp dialogue gives the play tension and a fast pace, and his interactions with the other characters are short, sweet and insightful. Clark doesn't waste a single word - each has deliberate meaning. A specific intention. Furthermore, Clark makes demands of the audience - he shoves the question of free will into our faces, presses it right up close to us and refuses to let us turn away from its ambiguities. His play is a young child, constantly q ...more
Realini
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whose Life is It Anyway? By Brian Clark
An extraordinary, overwhelming story
Translated as A Cui e Viata Asta in Definitiv

This is a sad tale about euthanasia and the fight of one brave man for his free choice of destiny and his right to die.
From the start, we learn that the hero-Mr. Harrison is paralyzed, following a terrible car crash in which he fractured ribs and injured his spine.
The patient used to be a professor and a sculptor and feels that a life in which he is unable to move his limbs is
...more
Alisha Brook
Title: Whose Life Is It Anyway?
Series: -
Author: Brian Clark
Genre: Medical Fiction
Rating: 4.5 stars

Had to read this, write an extended gap scene and act out the scene for English year 10.
I actually really enjoyed it!!

I loved the humour throughout and the innuendos too!! I just loved Ken as a character; although depressed about his situation, he was quite quirky/cheeky.

It has a powerful message which really makes you think about life and what it means for those who are irreparably disabled.
Sophia Park
May 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-school
I was mandated to read this for Ethics as part of the right to life unit.

I suppose part of my frustration comes from Ken's whole character, who is 'witty' to the point of absolute frustration, and is better summarized as a literal pest asking its oppressor to just kill it already.

I don't know many cases of assisted suicide where the suicidal person would be as mentally sound as Ken - who might simply be a nihilist all along.

It's a fast read, but it doesn't really answer the issue so much as pre
...more
Isobel
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-in-2015
I find the concept of this play fascinating, and the reasoning behind it very well thought out. I also find the characters to be interesting and quite lovely in some ways. The actual writing, however, just didn't feel at all natural to me, not realistic in terms of the way people truly speak and as such I constantly felt that I was outside of the play rather than being truly drawn into its story.
Tanya
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I was cast as Sister Anderson in our school production of this. It's a good play, thought-provoking, very naturalistic. I think it can be a bit slow-paced throughout but I liked it. There're some emotional monologues in this.
Tiffany Sebastian
I love this book so much! I was given to read this book for 'o' lvels literature. Its well written and witty. Keep you on your feet and makes you pick a side. Makes you judge on your values. A MUST READ!
Mar
Reading Challenge 2015 which I didn't finish but I promise I will so now it's 2016: a play
Paula
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great play about who should decided how a patient lives, the patient or the doctor? Written with warmth and truth that humorously explores this question.
Sydney
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5)
abigail judith adair
Aug 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
one of the most powerful plays I've ever read

(or been in)
Yifei Men
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
An engaging quick read, full of wit, humor and thoughtful conversations about the serious issue of life (and death).
Alex Curry
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite plays, this work was a major start to my decade in theatre.
KennyO
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
Not compelling writing but it depicts a thought provoking dilemma. It made me truly appreciate that so far I have not known anyone facing such a choice.
Charlotte
Even though I didn't always get the humour, it was quite nice and I must say that it really gives food for thoughts.
Narges
Nov 24, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
great
Hannah Stowe
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really surprisingly funny, and challenging. I have never felt more conflicted about rooting for the protagonist.
Bobby Sullivan
Never heard of this play, until I read it. What a pleasant surprise. Fully fleshed-out characters, and a well-argued conflict between life and death.
Shannon
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
School based story....
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Deathtrap
  • We Can't Pay? We Won't Pay!
  • Democracy
  • On Golden Pond
  • Love! Valour! Compassion!
  • Beautiful Thing
  • Caroline, or Change
  • Sleuth
  • The Dining Room
  • Seascape
  • Fifth of July
  • The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe
  • The Dark at the Top of the Stairs
  • Les Liaisons Dangereuses
  • The Boys Next Door
  • Prelude to a Kiss
  • Lettice and Lovage: A Comedy
  • A Walk in the Woods.
Brian Clark is a British playwright and television writer, best known for his play Whose Life Is It Anyway?, which he later adapted into a screenplay.
More about Brian Clark...

Share This Book