Start by marking “Priest, Volume 1. Prelude for the Deceased” as Want to Read:
Priest, Volume 1. Prelude for the Deceased

Priest, Volume 1. Prelude for the Deceased

(Priest #1)

In the frontier of the American West, a veil of evil threatens to engulf humanity. Servants of the fallen archangel Temozarela are paving the way for their dark lord's resurrection. One man stands in the way of the apocalypse-- Ivan Isaacs-- a fallen priest who sold his soul to the devil Belial for the power to fight evil armed with a wicked blade and silver bullets. Ivan ...more
Published July 23rd 2002 by TokyoPop

To ask other readers questions about Priest, Volume 1. Prelude for the Deceased, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Priest, Volume 1. Prelude for the Deceased

Start your review of Priest, Volume 1. Prelude for the Deceased
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Replace a preacher character with anything you like, it won't make any difference.
Ivan Isaacs, the preacher, sold half of his soul to the devil. The exact reason is not quite clear (save for the vague 'lost my faith and the devil pounced' reason). It's possible that later you get a clearer picture, but when it comes to only this, it's far from clear.
He finds himself on a train that is later attacked by bandits who are trying to save their leader. The blood from the attack awakens zom
Robert Beveridge
Min-woo Hyung, Priest vol. 1: Prelude to the Deceased, Part 1 (Tokyopop, 2003)

I came to manga as, I believe, many Americans who discovered the stuff recently came to manga: fighting series (Bleach, One Piece, etc.) and fantasy romance (Fushigi Yugi, etc.). It's only recently I've discovered the true breadth of manga, and I've been delighted overall at finding so many titles of interest in just about every genre one can think of. And now I've come across Min-woo Hyung's series Priest,
Kate
Oct 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, age-ya, manga
For some reason when I requested this book I thought it was a graphic novel, not a manga. Is there some series called "The Preacher"? (Yes: Preacher Vol. 1 Gone To Texas). That's what I thought this was.

Anyway, I think something has gone horribly wrong in the translation of Catholicism to Japanese. As in Hellsing, Volume 1, Catholic figures are made to be dark assassins (in Hellsing it was a gun-toting nun). Obviously here it is a priest, in the Old West. Not sure how this guy could still wear the collar since
Franklin Kendrick
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
If you can find this book anywhere I highly suggest you add it to your shelf of manga. Technically this is from Korea and is a manwha about a fallen Priest, Ivan Isaacs, a gunslinger who sold half his soul to avenge his love, Gina. This story had me transfixed for every volume. A word of warning if you start this, however, is that the writer and artist, however brilliant he was, totally betrayed his readers by leaving the story hanging while he jumped ship under the pressure of all his readers t ...more
Alhashimi Mustafa
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, series
One must read all 16 volumes to appreciate the gem that is Priest.
The emotional impact it had on me is devastating. Not to mention the beautiful scenes that emerge like a sickening newborn from the vile chaos machine that is Hyung Min-woo's pencil.
The topic raised is surprisingly deep, raising questions about religion, morality, choices and consequences. However, what I was passionate about and still am is; The breaking point. What does it take to break a man? And why would one be called evil,
Angel
Aug 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa-etc
This was a pretty good quick ride. A fallen priest makes a deal a devil to come back and get his revenge, fighting a bunch of baddies along the way. All set in the Wild West. It is very fast paced, and narrative itself is pretty minimal as the art carries a lot of the story. Overall, a nice quick escapist manwha. I'll be looking for the next one.
Bradley
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Well that was fun! I’m in love with the art. The lines are thick and sharp creating a geometrical pattern. There are almost no curves on the characters and when there is it’s to splendid effect (usually it’s the hats). The symbolism and style is so up my alley as well as the story’s theme being rooted in Christian elements. It’s like Hellsing and Castlevania in the Wild West. If that isn’t the highest compliment I can give I don’t know what is, haha!

In another way this also reminds me of Gungrave. I keep maki
Kat Rocha
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for something innovative and new.... this is not for you.
If you are looking for an awesome weird-western that covers the battle between good and evil in an awesome and entertaining way, this is it. Priest has nothing you haven't seen before, but does it in a glorious way. Definately following in the footsteps of Vampire Hunter D.
Joel
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I can sense definite promise in this first installment and I'll certainly be continuing with it. On its own, this opening is a little light on character development and heavy on setting and establishing tone. All good stuff if you like your dark graphic fiction and are happy to stick with it to see what develops next.
Roger Boyes
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great artwork.
Sebastien
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-comics-bd
reading french traduction of this book is really bad it makes the not believable they sound the opposite of badass.the story is interesting .I will have it a second chance in English.
sheamcc2
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a Helsing rip off which isn't a bad thing I can always read more Helsing.
Zachariah
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Lots of slaughter but a one track story.
Francis
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great Mignola'esque artwork. Interesting concept but the story seems to go nowhere.
Jessica (BookRockGoddess) Bolton
This was not what I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be like the movie Priest Staring: Paul Bettany, Cam Gigandet, and Maggie Q . It was totally different and I just didn't like it so I won't be continuing with the series.
Leila Anani
After the death of his beloved Gena, feeling forsaken by god, Preacher Ivan Isaacs sells half his soul to the demon Belial in order to have demonic strength to fight demons - particularly Belial's arch enemy Tamozarela and his minions.

In this volume Jarbilong a heretical priest in league with Tamozarela raises an army of the undead who catch a gang of bandits unawares on a railroad train.

There's a similarity to Hellsing here, but with its American Wild West setting its di
intrepideddie
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This graphic novel (I hesitate to call it Manga) had a good, if somewhat "been-there-done-that" story. It was very reminiscent of Ghost Rider, or Spawn, or any number of stories about a good guy that sold his soul to the devil then regretted it, but used his powers for good.

Honestly, the story is old hat.

However, with the old west setting and the artwork, it's worth reading. I normally don't like this type of artwork in a manga -- it's very harsh, stiff, and angular; not
Nadia
I'm not sure if this should count as "seen then read" cause movie plot was very different from this. There was like the whole different universe. No soul selling, no demons, but vampires and priests made to fight them. Here is one priest fighting outside and inside demons. He reminds me strongly of Alucard in his looks although Alucard is more complete he doesn't have mind-problems. Also he is not human at all :)
Well, I want to see where this is going. I also would like to see more of the
Deidre
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast, violent and bloody! It reads as quickly as Attack on Titan.
Meghan Harris
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This manga, which is the ONLY one that I've read (so far), made me a fan because it's absolute destruction of vampire lore, biblical prophecy, western fan fiction, and GORE into a reconstruction all it's own. Though manga is rarely on my reading list, I am enamored not only because, though short and lacking a HUGE back story, I feel that as a starter for the series it leaves enough questions while not sabotaging its characters. Hyung also does what Jason Aaron does for Scalped--make us love the ...more
Austin Smith
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
I have never loved a manga series more than this one. Beyond amazing story, gripping characters, fantastic art and no holds on the blood,gore, and brutality of the world. It does go back to deal with the backstory for a small time but even the it does really well of getting all the need to know info out of the way and then going right back to what you love. Sadly about number 14 and up it teeters off and goes sideways and even worse it simply stopped. Be that as it may its still a beyond amazing ...more
Illuminati8
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Ivan Isaacs, a man with nothing to lose except for his rage, makes up a deal with the devil for half his soul to avenge the murder of his beloved. But it's not going to be an easy task for the undead priest as he seeks his revenge amidst massacre and mayhem laced with pain and suffering. For unbeknownst to him, Ivan plays a crucial part in the dark angel's plan for resurrection.

The artwork is really good and while the story isn't bad, it lacks the punch. If you are the kind to enjoy
Julie Luther
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Good god, what a manga. This is the only manga I have ever read that I almost wasn't able to finish reading because of how disturbing it was. I actually had to put it down a few times and read something else. Similar to Berserk but Berserk I could read for volumes at a time and reading priest kind of makes you feel nauseous. I highly recommend it but I'd warn anyone starting to read it that it messes with your head in a good way, but it felt like a little damage was done to my brain after I fini ...more
Nona
I like the premise and the story and the artwork and I'd really like to give it four stars, but the widespread use of automatic weapons in a story set in the American Old West is simply not possible for me to excuse. There are other slightly futuristic looking touches in a Brisco County Jr. way but the automatics go way beyond that. I'm still reading at least the next volume after this one and hopefully it won't be so obvious in subsequent volumes.
Koori no hi
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-comics
It took a bit for me to get into the story. A big part of that was that while the art was good, the translation was too modern for a Western; as well as little things that bothered my suspension of disbelief: semi-automatic shotguns for example. I know this is fantasy but still, if you pick a setting be true to it.
The story seems kind of old hat, but it was good enough to keep me interested once I got past the elements that kept dragging me out.
Ashes
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can someone say intense? I can. A hundred times over. I saw the movie first, unfortunately, and loved it but I'm REALLY enjoying this book so much better and I'm seeing how very little the movie follows this series. This seems to be so much more.. "religious" and old west, awesome, kick-ass and let's talk about the gore! Yes please! The main character, Ivan, is stupidly awesome and bad ass. His inner conflict, his devil contract, his ass kicking abilities. I can't wait to read more.
Emma
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-owned
The unique, sketch type of art style is much more appealing than first expected, as is the western setting. Volume one of Priest gives plenty enough information for the reader to understand what is happening, but also leaves a great deal more to be discovered later in the series. The characters are both unique and likable thus far, although little is revealed about the priest's past. A good beginning to what I expect to be a great series.
Erin
Sep 14, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm up to #10 in this cycle. Demon possessed priest is fighting a fallen angel, horror and western style. There are about 4 different stories going on here, all a few hundred years apart. It's really engaging, addictive, and totally shuts the brain down. the art is fine, better than what I expect from the Tokyopop stuff I've read.
Lavenza
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of best stories ever, all of the volumes are perfect, how I wish I could see the continuation. Perfect amount of drama, epic action and betrayal. Original and beautiful.
There are really so many ways I can describe it, but it wont ever be enough. Perfect
Donald
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Lots of action, but I didn't follow the plot line too well. I got the basics, but I guess I'd have to read the next book (or two) to understand everything. Still, I liked the fallen priest battling demon type creatures in the ol' West! Nice genre mixing!
is movie like the book? 2 5 Oct 28, 2012 07:08AM

• Faeries' Landing, Volume 2
  • Old Boy, Vol. 1
  • Crying Freeman, Vol. 1
  • Roots of the Swamp Thing
  • Gunsmith Cats: Volume 1
  • Pet Shop of Horrors, Volume 8 (Pet Shop of Horrors, #8)
  • BIOMEGA バイオメガ 1 (Biomega Vol. 1)
  • Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, Vol. 5 (Basilisk, #5)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 2 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #2)
  • Gunslinger Girl, Vol. 3
  • Merv Pumpkinhead: Agent of D.R.E.A.M. (Sandman Presents)
  • Claymore, Vol. 11: Kindred of Paradise (Claymore, #11)
  • Vampire Wars (Von Carstein, #1-3)
  • Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase, Volume 1
  • GetBackers, Volume 2

Priest (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Priest, Volume 2