Start by marking “Square Meals: America's Favorite Comfort Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Square Meals: America's Favorite Comfort Cookbook

Square Meals: America's Favorite Comfort Cookbook

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Whatever happened to comfort food? This revised and updated edition of the classic Square Meals is a celebration of American food from the 1920s through the 1950s, a salute to the days of lunch counters and the times when Sunday dinner was hearty and special. 150 photos.
Paperback
Published October 10th 2000 by Lebhar-Friedman (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Square Meals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Square Meals

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,109 books — 1,032 voters
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas AdamsThe Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan KunderaThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyThe Talisman by Stephen KingEmpire of the Sun by J.G. Ballard
Best Books of 1984
138 books — 87 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill Hutchinson
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really more of a trip down memory lane than an actual cook book although it does contain the recipes for all dishes mentioned. The author, who with her husband, Michael, has written many books about food that are fun and more than the usual cookbook. Here she looks at the food styles of the 1940/50s....some are still being eaten, most are not. Ever hear of Shrimp Wiggle, Checkerboard Tea Sandwiches or Spam Hash? Doesn't sound very appetizing and I wonder if my Mother made any of these! W ...more
Monica Willyard
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves comfort food and American cooking
Shelves: nls, favorites, cookbooks
This is a cookbook I turn to over and over because its recipes are hits with my family and friends. Its stories of comfort foods from around the country are interesting too. This is the cookbook that taught me to make burgers that taste like the ones you get from a diner and shakes that please even the pickiest of teenagers.
Avis Black
Feb 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-and-cooking
Interesting book, but I have never come across such an appetite killer in my life. It gave me too many unpleasant childhood dinner-table flashbacks.
Elizabeth Sims
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Sterns just rock so hard. This is a great book to keep you company if you're lonely on a weekend night and don't want to go out.
Jeff
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, cookbooks
Square Meals works on so many levels, and succeeds on all of them. The book is structured chronologically, from the 1920s up into the 1960s. This lets it serve as a sort of culinary history of the 20th Century USA... from the "cunning" cookery of the 1920s ("... a girl could really serve a high-society meal in her own bungalow!")... to soda fountain cookery... through Victory Garden cookery ("A meal without meat? You can do it!") and Army chow... on to teen-focused food in the 1950s (they only e ...more
Mary
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I'm so sorry to see that this has been updated. The original is much funnier and captures the rich buy cheesy graphics of cooking up to the 1960s.

Read the recipes and you'll laugh until you cry! I grew up in an Italian neighborhood with an Italian mom, so some of the things in her my mother didn't know from, but my mother-in-law could have written this!
Dani
Dec 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks-read
This cookbook is fun for anyone who is in that retro state of mind. It isn't one of those books with modernized recipes that take all the fat and fun out of the food. The recipes were updated just enough to help a modern reader find appropriate ingredients. If you want cook like your grandmother, this is a good book to have handy.
Bethany
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Love just flipping through and reading the commentary. Haven't fixed much from this book, but keep it around for the Mary Jane's Rice Pudding recipe alone. Seriously the best rice pudding/comfort in a dish ever.
Mickie
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cool-cookbooks
A great mix of historical cookbooks, humor and social history. I adore this book and I actually cook from it! I may need a new copy since mine is getting pretty ragged.
Cwalsen
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, nonfiction
A favorite cookbook for people who are are not afraid to eat traditional food. Try the Cincinnati Five Way Chili!
Anne
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
The chapter on "Nursery Food" was the best followed by "Lunch Counter Cooking."
They discussed comfort food under these and a few other categories.
Sarah Brennan-Green
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great cookbook for theme parties, but even better for just sitting down to read. The Sterns can make cooking macaroni sound like an adventure!
Julie Eaklor