Start by marking “Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge” as Want to Read:
Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge

Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge

Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge lives next door to a nursing home in which several of his good friends reside. Of course, his favorite is Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt Cooper, because she has four names just as he does. The only problem is Miss Nancy, who is 96, has "lost" her memory. Undaunted, Wilfred sets out to "find" Miss Nancy's memory for her. Full-color illustratio ...more
Published April 1st 1995 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge

Mike Puma
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children and other non-jaundiced
Once upon a time, if only in a picture book, a young boy—one Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge—lived next door to an old folk’s home.
description Where he was lucky enough to know all the residents.

”description”/ Like Mr. Tippett who was crazy about cricket.

But his very favorite resident was Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt Cooper, and all because she had four names, like he did. description

After hearing his parents discussing poor Miss Nancy’s loss of memory, Wilfrid asks everyone at the home what a memory is before going in search of

Cheryl
I adore this. Fun to read aloud, and makes me tear up every time. It's poignant in a kinda sad way, but also full of joy and hope. Young Wilfrid and his neighbors are all inspirational. The art is vibrant and full of movement, very appealing and a good fit for the text. Wonderful theme, successfully presented.

(I've already read this twice, but want to again. Also I want to read, and reread, more by Fox.)
Yael
What a book! I get tears in my eyes each time I read this book, even though I know what's coming. Here are the things I liked and think are worthy to notice in a classroom: the illustrations, although cartoon like, are accurate in an interesting way. The older people in the book are overweight, have wrinkles, wear glasses, and wear commonly worn clothes for people at an old age home. I have been to an old age home where you walk in and see several people lined up in comfortable chairs just sitti ...more
cindy
May 15, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture-books
This was surprisingly poignant! I love how the story showcased all the different facets of memory and their significance to respective individuals. Definitely a heartfelt read, and one that presents meaningful concepts to children and adults alike. 💛
Erin Murray
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story about a young boy trying to help an elderly lady find her memory again. It is important to identify the special bond between Wilfrid and Mrs Nancy. Quite a innovative idea, such a young boy having a close bond with residents in the nursing home next door to his house. Lovely book to read though.
Paul  Hankins
As a younger child, my mother worked in a long-term care facility. Her shift was such that I would ride to work with her and then catch the bus from the facility to my school (yes, this was the seventies. . .we did these kinds of things).

I still remember Otto who made these lovely items out of rubber balls and yarn. I wish I had mine still.

I still remember Frieda who would bang her spoon around her bowl when it was empty. The memory is as clear as the Maypo I would share with the residents.

And
Angie
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This delightful book is about a little boy who befriends the residents of a retirement home next door to his house. In particular, he makes friends with 96-year-old Miss Nancy. When he learns that Miss Nancy is having problems with her memory, he takes action. A beautiful story about how compassion can make all the difference. I legit cried reading this.
Ellie Labbett
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a special story that showcases the beauty of relationships between the old and the young. Wilfrid is a child that lives next door to an old people’s home and has a genuine interest in the residents and values their passions in life. Above all is his bond with Nancy, which flourishes so affectionately, untouched by her illness. What is so beautiful about this story is that, upon discovering her memory loss, Wilfrid becomes the key to Nancy’s rediscovery. In giving small tokens of himself, he ...more
Emma Sedlak
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kidlets
This story of a young boy who lives next to an old folks home is a beautiful book about discovering what memories are, and how to share them with others. It reminds me of all the initiatives happening in the Netherlands and elsewhere in Europe to try to bring young children and the elderly together to share experiences and joy.
We were given a copy of this book as a present at our Baby Shower this weekend, and friends were encouraged to write their favourite childhood memories inside. This is goi
Ursula
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Absolutely precious. My two very favorite kinds of people: baby things and little old folks. Somebody has lost something and another wants to help get it back. SO precious! The illustrations are perfect. This is an absolute must read for all.

Macy Tone
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Wilfred Gordon McDonald Patridge" by Mem Fox is a touching book mostly for adults but can be relatable to children. Fox was an Australian children's writer and this book was originally published in Australia. It is about a little boy who lives next to a nursing home and meets new friends. One day, he overhears his parents talk about his favorite friend in the nursing home named, Miss. Nancy who has lost her memory. Wilfred loves Miss. Nancy because she has four names like him--Miss. Nancy Aliso ...more
Melissa
This may just be my favorite picture book ever. I discovered it during grad school when I worked at a children's bookstore, and it was love at first read. I don't think I have ever once read it without tearing up. When I read it to the littles yesterday, Scott had to step in near the end when I was too choked up to speak. It's a beautiful book, and true in the way that sometimes only fiction is.

Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge is a little boy who lives next to an old-age home. He is friends wit
Jack Kirby and the X-man
Jenny
I love this story. Wilfred's elderly neighbor, Miss Nancy, has lost her memories. He wants to help her find them but he's not sure what a memory is. So he begins asking other neighbors and they each describe memories in a different way...something sad, something funny, something warm, something from long ago, etc. So Wilfred collects an object for each of these descriptions to share with Miss Nancy, helping her to regain her own memories.

This is a wonderful book to read as a writing model. Child
Katlin Sims
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feelings
A little boy named Wilfred Gordon Mcdonald Partridge lived next door to an "old people's home" and he knew all the people that lived there. Wilfred Gordon Mcdonald Partridge's favorite person though was a woman named Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt Cooper. She had four names just like him, but he just called her Miss Nancy. They shared all their secrets and spent a lot of time together. One day Wilfred Gordon's parents were talking about Miss Nancy and said that she had lost all her memory. Wilfred ...more
DadReads
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mem Fox is not on the official list of Australia’s National Living Treasures. That is plain wrong. It’s even more wrong given that Clive Palmer is on the list. Clive is large and full of money, but that’s the only way he could be considered a treasure. If we define the word as something precious and cherished, Mem Fox fits the bill. Possum Magic is the definitive Australian picture-story book, and probably only Graeme Base can rival her popularity over more than 30 years. Today we look at anothe ...more
Roger DeBlanck
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ypl-mg-ya
Mem Fox’s Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge uses first-rate dialogue to express ideas of friendship, caring, curiosity, and remembrance. Fox also makes splendid use of figurative language by comparing memory throughout the book to a number of different things. She describes memory as something “warm,” something “from long ago,” something “that makes you cry,” something “that makes you laugh,” and something “as precious as gold.” This picture book allows young readers to engage in a rich and rewa ...more
Angela Maher
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
A lovely book for children exploring what memories are. Beautifully illustrated.
Becky
First sentence: There was once a small boy called Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge and what's more he wasn't very old either. His house was next door to an old people's home and he knew all the people who lived there.

Premise/plot: Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge has many friends; but his most special friend has four names just like him: Miss Nancy Alison Delacourt Cooper. When he hears that she is losing her memory--or has "lost" her memory, Wilfrid sets out in search of it. But first, he ha
Mrs G
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lovely story about the friendship between a little boy and the people in the old folk's home next door. When one of his friends loses her memory, Wilfred tries to help. Gorgeous illustrations and a heart-warming tale. You could do quite a lot with this in class - exploring what makes a memory, what would children put in a memory box... could lead into writing poetry (I'm thinking Kit Wright's Magic Box model). I imagine you could have a fair bit of book chat with this one. Lovely.
Madeline Clements
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edtp-245
I liked this book. I thought the innocence of the boy and his love for Mrs.Nancy is sweet. I don't know if I would read it aloud to my classroom but I would definitely sit it out for quiet reading time.
Lynn  Davidson
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wilfrid Gordon was a small boy who knew all the elderly people who lived in the old people's home next door to his house. When he heard that one lady had lost her memory he went searching for some memories to give her. A sweet story with wonderfully joyful illustrations.
Kate
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice story in which different people tell a young boy about their perceptions of memories, and he uses this to help an elderly friend get her memory back.
Calista
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written and illustrated book. It is easy to read, and I love how there is such a wonderful relationship between the young and the old. My daughter loved it when I read this to her.
Shiloah
I love Mem Fox!
Julie Kirchner
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of my favorite Mem Fox books. The sweet story of a boy who helps an elderly friend find her memory.
Aneesa
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Andrea loves this book.
Agnė
Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge is a heartwarming exploration of the meaning of memory.
I also really liked the relationships between the little boy and his elderly friends: once again, heartwarming :)

Interestingly, the adults in the illustrations are all legs and bellies (and tiny heads, haha). It's such a smart way to represent a small child's point of view!

Luisa Knight
Oh! So sweet! A little boy lives next to a nursing home and learns that one of his dear old friends has lost her memory. So he sets out to learn what a memory is and give her some.

Ages: 4 - 8

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my websi
Ellie
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 56-classroom
I unequivocally enjoyed this picture book and so did my 5/6 students. It was so beautiful and created discussion around memories, losing them and how we can help each other. I wanted to reread it straight away as it tugged at the heart strings.

• The Old Woman Who Named Things
  • Julius, the Baby of the World
  • The Gardener
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • Hooway for Wodney Wat
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th