Start by marking “Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training” as Want to Read:
Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training

Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training

Use our method to attain maximum height in your kicks and to be able to kick at that height with no warm-up!

Learn:
* How to stretch safely and quickly to achieve and maintain your maximum flexibility
* How to make your muscles grow stronger and longer so you stay flexible all the time
* How to do splits even if you are over 40 or 50
* How to kick high and do splits with n

Unknown Binding, 213 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Stadion Publishing Company, Inc. (first published September 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Stretching Scientifically, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stretching Scientifically

Start your review of Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training
Xavier Shay
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Skimmed through it in an hour or two. Dense on the info, a bit too much for what I was after. Well worth the $15. I was able to extract what I wanted though:

- Static stretching before a work is bad (knew this, but science confirms)
- Stretching with a partner is a bad idea - you need the strength to stretch yourself to be safe.
- Isometric stretching (which I've never tried) is the fastest way to splits-with-no-warmup, but still need dynamic and static active for other types.

The end result is I've
DG
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Honestly you don't need to read the book, you can just read the parts where it goes over stretches. Also read chapter 2 where it goes over how to stretch, and chapter 7 where it details different routines for different sports. It's really dense with information and references a lot of studies.
Tanvir Muntasim
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is considered to be one of the definitive books on stretching, so, when I luckily got a used but not worn out copy for only 4 bucks, I couldn't resist it. After completing it, I realized that it's well worth its full price. Concise, clear and precise explanations and directions for effectively increasing flexibility. I have done yoga for a while now, but the approach here is a bit different (not so much on static and long holds for flexibility) and just after one week of following the recom ...more
Preben Hafnor
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, genre-sport
Yes, the cover is great! However, the book is greater (!!) An ultimate guide and explanation for stretching. I wish I have read this in my youth! This is for all people who do any sort of sport! The two first chapter should be mandatory in all gym classes in school!
Thor Kamphefner
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been doing Yoga for several years now, about two. That, and running helped to keep me sane after moving to San Jose, a city that leaves sanity to be desired. I think I bought the book at least a year ago, but it got hidden in the stack of other books I was reading at the time. Well, hidden no more, I finally read it. And a good, straight forward no-nonsense read it was.

## About the book
The author, Thomas Kurz is a Polish trainer. His style of writing is very direct and to the point, and mak
Efe Karabulat
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Prized work of Kurz' takes on an often overlooked subject on all sports: Streching.

I liked the book and its system. After teaching the streching terminology, Kurz gives examples of all types of strech for every muscle and joint. Every step of the way, he points out he approved methods, alternatives and what specifically worked for him. With references to lots and lots of studies of course. After all it's streching scientifically, remember?

Explaining body movements with a text is often a hard job
Dan Tasse
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Some parts of this I hated (the seemingly-unedited first chapter that was going to teach me about the theory of stretching but really just dove into medical jargon, the guy's weird fascination with doing splits), some parts I hated-loved (his q&a at the end is like watching a not-very-socially-skillful person's reddit AMA).

Some parts were probably good but not for me. I don't really do one sport over and over. (biking I guess, but the main message I got was "biking will make you less flexible."
Ed Schwartz
May 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book has a lot of information, but it's presented and organized very poorly. As an example, Chapter 2 introduces the various types of stetching and then goes into far too much detail about research findings. At this point in the book, the reader doesn't even know how to do any of the described stretches. There also aren't any example workout plans. If you're looking for a practical book on how to stretch, look elsewhere.
HDubbs
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, diy, sports
This book was quick to read, but also went into quite a bit of detail. I've not yet tried the exercises, so I cannot attest to their effectiveness. I do wish there was a recommended routine for the lay person, because I'm not a gymnast. I ski and require more range-of-motion for this (and backcountry touring).

I enjoy yoga and would like to get more out of that by improving my flexibility.
Jared
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Informative. Doesn't have a ton of stretches in it, but provides a system to follow, and the concepts needed to further your flexibility.
Daniel
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Herbie Behm
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
For anyone who encounters mobility as an issue this is certainly a good read. Kurz explains several types of stretches and defines when/how to do those for optimal benefits.
Parma Velvet
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although it offered nothing revolutionary, perhaps Stretching Scientifically's success lay in its simplicity.
I tentatively award it 4 stars (vs 3) for its ability to deliver its point concisely and effectively.

The book begins with a short primer on the anatomical principles that underpin stretching before launching into subsequent sections on each type of stretching.
The core chunk of the content is populated with illustrated explanations of various stretches arranged per stretching type with th
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Liz Williams
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing - the science is dated, with Kurz's favourite source being a Soviet-era Russian physiologist, and there is very little sports-specific advice. The sample workout plans are vague, and the instructions on how to carry out each exercise are minimal - sometimes just a photograph of the final position. I do not feel confident that I would not injure myself by using this book as an instruction manual. I gave it two stars only because Kurz correctly advises against using static stretches ...more
Carol
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Ok, so it doesn't go into novels... but it's a really helpful book, especially if you're into martial arts, it does give you all you need to know about stretching, how to do it and what not to do to avoid an injury.
It's been extremely helpful for me. And it comes with routines to help you improve flexibility.
Aaron Rodriguez
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To date, this is the most comprehensive guide to stretching and flexibility. Kurz helps the reader understand that the combination of strength, repetitions, and types of stretches are the key ingredients toward improved flexibility.
Armand
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This is a great book that will definitely change the way you stretch and think about stretching. The organization is a little bit hard to follow and the author sounds a bit conceded at times (hence the four stars), but besides that this book is a must read for anyone serious about their flexibility
William O'Brien
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful, advanced guide
Ramesh
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
It makes sense and most of all, it works!!!
Ryan Nowakowski
Omar
Jun 04, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Balancing the Equation
  • Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
  • Stretching Anatomy
  • Perfectly Imperfect: The Art and Soul of Yoga Practice
  • Emergency Skin
  • Summer Frost
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
  • The Last Conversation
  • The Anatomy of Martial Arts: An Illustrated Guide to the Muscles Used for Each Strike, Kick, and Throw
  • Lady Death: The Memoirs of Stalin's Sniper