Start by marking “Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training” as Want to Read:
Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training

Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Use our method to attain maximum height in your kicks and to be able to kick at that height with no warm-up!

Learn:
* How to stretch safely and quickly to achieve and maintain your maximum flexibility
* How to make your muscles grow stronger and longer so you stay flexible all the time
* How to do splits even if you are over 40 or 50
* How to kick high and do splits with n

Unknown Binding, 213 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Stadion Publishing Company, Inc. (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Stretching Scientifically, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stretching Scientifically

Xavier Shay
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Skimmed through it in an hour or two. Dense on the info, a bit too much for what I was after. Well worth the $15. I was able to extract what I wanted though:

- Static stretching before a work is bad (knew this, but science confirms)
- Stretching with a partner is a bad idea - you need the strength to stretch yourself to be safe.
- Isometric stretching (which I've never tried) is the fastest way to splits-with-no-warmup, but still need dynamic and static active for other types.

The end result is I've
DG
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Honestly you don't need to read the book, you can just read the parts where it goes over stretches. Also read chapter 2 where it goes over how to stretch, and chapter 7 where it details different routines for different sports. It's really dense with information and references a lot of studies.
Preben Hafnor
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Yes, the cover is great! However, the book is greater (!!) An ultimate guide and explanation for stretching. I wish I have read this in my youth! This is for all people who do any sort of sport! The two first chapter should be mandatory in all gym classes in school!
Jake Thornton
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although it offered nothing revolutionary, perhaps Stretching Scientifically's success lay in its simplicity.
I tentatively award it 4 stars (vs 3) for its ability to deliver its point concisely and effectively.

The book begins with a short primer on the anatomical principles that underpin stretching before launching into subsequent sections on each type of stretching.
The core chunk of the content is populated with illustrated explanations of various stretches arranged per stretching type with th
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Carol
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ok, so it doesn't go into novels... but it's a really helpful book, especially if you're into martial arts, it does give you all you need to know about stretching, how to do it and what not to do to avoid an injury.
It's been extremely helpful for me. And it comes with routines to help you improve flexibility.
Aaron Rodriguez
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To date, this is the most comprehensive guide to stretching and flexibility. Kurz helps the reader understand that the combination of strength, repetitions, and types of stretches are the key ingredients toward improved flexibility.
Armand
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This is a great book that will definitely change the way you stretch and think about stretching. The organization is a little bit hard to follow and the author sounds a bit conceded at times (hence the four stars), but besides that this book is a must read for anyone serious about their flexibility
Ramesh
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
It makes sense and most of all, it works!!!
Villon
  • Relax Into Stretch: Instant Flexibility Through Mastering Muscle Tension
  • Pilates
  • Athletic Body in Balance
  • Improve Your Vision Without Glasses or Contact Lenses
  • Cassey Ho's Hot Body Year-Round: The POP Pilates Plan to Get Slim, Eat Clean, and Live Happy Through Every Season
  • The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion: Revolutionary Program That Lets You Rediscover the Body's Power to Rejuvenate It
  • The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World
  • Science and Practice of Strength Training
  • Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide For Athletes & Coaches
  • Anatomy of Exercise: A Trainer's Inside Guide to Your Workout
  • The Bates Method for Better Eyesight without Glasses
  • Power Sleep : The Revolutionary Program That Prepares Your Mind for Peak Performance
  • Color Atlas of Anatomy: A Photographic Study of the Human Body
  • Warrior Mindset: Mental Toughness Skills for a Nation's Peacekeepers
  • The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises: Four Weeks to a Leaner, Sexier, Healthier YOU!
  • Transformation: Understanding the Three Levels of Mascul