Start by marking “Another Life: A Memoir of Other People” as Want to Read:
Another Life: A Memoir of Other People

Another Life: A Memoir of Other People

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  211 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
From world leaders to Mafia dons, from Hollywood stars to the literary world's most eccentric writers, the notable and notorious alike have entrusted their life's work to Simon & Schuster's preeminent editor, Michael Korda. In this masterful memoir, Korda reveals the unforgettable cast of characters and outrageous anecdotes behind four decades of blockbuster publishing ...more
Published May 9th 2000 by Delta (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Another Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Life

Linda
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: Champaign County Library summer reading prize
Shelves: own
How could I have let this book sit on my shelf for 15 years before reading it. What a treasure!
Michael Korda left the family business (films - one of his uncles was married to Merle Oberon) and became first, an editor for Simon and Schuster and while doing that, eventually became a successful author but published by Random House.

This book tells many back stories (not all of them flattering) of authors such as Jacqueline Susann, Harold Robbins, Bob Woodward and others who came to fame in other ar
Aberjhani
in another life, korda provides us with a precisely rendered account of publishing and authorship in the days before self-publishing and the extremes of marketing hype came to exert their formidable influences on the industry. having written bestsellers of his own (such as power!) and worked with simon and schuster as an editor for some of the most celebrated names in u.s. literature, korda was particularly well-positioned to write this memoir of other people. not only is it one of the better b ...more
Heather
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Insider's view of the publishing world, mostly during the 70s and 80s. While not as good as Max Perkins: Editor of Genius (and really, what publishing book will ever be?), Korda depicts publishing in an era of change that seems more relevant.
Josh
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Korda's had a wild ride in the publishing industry; excellent tales about mobsters, ghostwritten Ronald Reagan, and the insouciant Tennessee Williams. Who knows (cares) if it's all true?
RunRachelRun
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lovely. This kind of life, full of art, literature, lush luxury and love of words is no longer possible in this Kindle-lit world. I glad that someone had the chance to live it.
Josh
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best and funniest book about publishing I've read. Went back to the Korda for a second read after having read Robert Gottlieb's memoir Avid Reader. Enjoyed the Gottlieb book but loved the Korda, even on the second go-around. The stories come from another era, yet they stand up and are still completely relevant. Hard to hold back from reading some of the best stories out loud. If you work in publishing, don't miss Another Life.
Philip
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Must-reading for anyone in the publishing and bookselling business, especially younger people who have no idea of what the business was like before most of the publishers became part of conglomerates and the chain stores and then the internet began dominating book sales. I work with people who have no clue that Doubleday, Bantam, Knopf, Delacorte/Dell and Crown used to be actual publishers on their own, and not just divisions or imprints of Random House, who don't know that William Morrow used t ...more
Angela
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was such a joy to read. Michael Korda was editor in chief at S&S, and experienced much of the company's history—he started there as a lowly reader, when Dick Simon and Max Schuster were still building their empire.

Korda was an integral part of S&S's history. He was editor to authors that are still widely read today, including Jacqueline Susann, Harold Robbins, Jackie Collins, and a number of mobsters and politicians (his recounting of a dinner party at the Nixon's is hilarious.
Karen
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Author and Editor Michael Korda's memoir of his past forty years in the New York book publishing business is a fascinating read. I wouldn't call it a gossipy, but charmingly anecdotal, fascinating read about many of the intriguing people he has edited in his career: Jackie Susann, Nixon, Reagan, Tennessee Williams, Graham Greene, Will and Ariel Durrant, with one or two mob bosses thrown into the mix.

I liked getting the inside look at book publishing from the 1950's when Korda started work at Si
Allyson
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yeah, okay, so I'm biased. This book came out right after I started working as a wee assistant at Simon & Schuster, one of the oldest standing publishing houses and one of New York's famed "Big Six" (though I guess it's technically "Big Five" now that Random House and Penguin have merged). Michael Korda was still an editor there, and our Editor in Chief ordered copies of the book for everyone in our department. It's a fond and early memory of my publishing career. But I also really enjoyed t ...more
Drucilla
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: k
If you're curious about what goes on behind the scenes in the publishing industry, but don't want a textbook, I suggest this book. Textbooks don't offer the real life observations that this book does. Korda is a pretty detached person in terms of his career, but that's what makes this book such a well-rounded memoir. For the most part, Korda describes things very distantly from himself so the reader gets a better view of the publishing industry as a whole and the changes that occured within it. ...more
Armando
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No lo tuve que leer como una lectura obligada, de hecho nada de lo que leo es una obligación! Pero, por extraño que paresca, hay algunas cosas que se leen como con un dejo de obligación; aún no leo "La Guerra y la Paz", por algo será... en fin.
El autor de este entretenidisimo libro fue editor, posiblemente en su mejor época, de Simon and Schuster. Y les aseguro que el mundo editorial es todo, menos aburrido. El género de las autobiografias ha sido desdeñado, tal vez por el sentimiento de mistifi
Noemi Proietti
In this amazing book, Michael Korda tells how he first started working in publishing and how he came to meet interesting and sometimes strange people and to work with personalities such as Joan Crawford, Graham Green, Tennessee Williams, and former US presidents, Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. It is not a biography, but an insightful tale of book publishing in New York from the '60s to the '90s and how publishing changed from the '20s, when publishing houses belonged to their creators and thei ...more
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Back in the 80s, I started my adult life at Simon & Schuster, most of my two plus years spent in the Publicity Department. Michael Korda was at that time a publishing god. All these years later, it was wonderful to read his fascinating account of his time there, throwing in the history of book publishing, at least in the 20th century and a cast of characters, from Jackie Susann to Richard Nixon to Harold Robbins to Tennessee Williams, not to mention the infamous Dick Snyder who was CEO durin ...more
Michelle Hinkson - Goins
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know why it took me so long to read this book. I loved it and it brought back so many wonderful memories working at Simon & Schuster in the early 80's in the Publicity dept. with the great Julia Knickerbocker. Michael Korda's stories of D. Snyder, J. Evans, A. Mayhew etc. are only the tip of the iceberg of what went on during that fast-paced, magical time in publishing. I loved every minute of this read.
Laurel
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-library
I was required to read this for school, but I'm really glad I was! I hope to be an editor one day and this book gave me a good idea of where the idustry has been and where it is in very accessible and personal way. However as an hopeful editor to be, it alternately terrified me as to my choices and reassured me that editing is what I'm meant to do. So if that's a reason you're reading this book, be forewarned.
Julie
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was published in 2000, and has been sitting on my shelves for many years. I'm glad I finally got to read this. Having worked for Borders, this was a fascinating look at the publishing business. I had no idea how involved editors are in the actual writing of a book. Their involvement in the final product, and their relationship with the authors they work with, is more intense than I had ever realized.
Julianne
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Michael Korda has an incredibly fascinating background. His voice is quite enjoyable in his memoir, and he interfaced with quite a cast of conventional characters at Simon & Schuster. I just read his plunge into not only editing, but his hand as a freelance writer and movie reviewer. Currently on part four looking for him to move on up that corporate ladder.
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
i was slowly making my way through this book, read a really funny page about the joys of editing other people's work, and then on the next page he said that by "editor" he means REAL editors, NOT COPYeditors, and i got so discouraged i had to put it down. haven't picked it up since!
Aug 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
I was interested in learning more about writing, editing and publishing so I read this memoir. I would compare it to a sausage factory expose - the end products are often incredible - but I wish I never knew how they were made.
Kate Buford
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Read this ages ago. Gave me the happy fantasy that editors can and will fix books (not that mine don't and haven't). Then suspected author may have been, just a little, pumping up his own ultimate ownership of his list.
Tim
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boning up for the publishing venture you find so dubious. Korda, whose name should ring your cinephile bell, is the longtime editor-in-chief of Simon and Schuster. The glamour, the dinners, the agents, Jackie Susann -- great tales of a business that no longer is.
Julianne Shapiro
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting read into the evolution of the book publishing industry by one of the most renowned editors. Michael Korda has a wonderful voice and obviously a fascinating life, but I would really only recommend if you want insight to how the business operates from a traditional print perspective.
Sam
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
BLAH! Fun anecdotes mixed into dribble
Will
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
Pretty interesting memoir from a guy who worked his way to the top of Simon & Schuster and rubbed shoulders with a lot of eccentric people along the way.
Harry Lane
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
An engaging book, a mix of memoir and company history. Full of anecdotes about people he met and worked with over his career.
Caitlin
Nov 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Good writer, interesting anecdotes...a bit long though, I just want to get to the current state of publishing
Maya
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful memoir about book publishing in the 20th century!
Mandy
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun, dishy book about commercial publishing. Characters include shameless literary agents, preening wives, mafia dons, mystery writers, and Joan Crawford.
Holly
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, gossipy read about the publishing industry between 1950 and the late 1990s. I would have loved to hear what Korda had to say about the rise of e-books, thoug.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Max Perkins: Editor of Genius
  • Merriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature
  • Getting It Published: A Guide for Scholars and Anyone Else Serious about Serious Books
  • Publishing for Profit: Successful Bottom-Line Management for Book Publishers
  • Book Business: Publishing Past, Present and Future
  • At Random: The Reminiscences of Bennett Cerf
  • My Mistake
  • Editors on Editing: What Writers Need to Know About What Editors Do
  • Marcel Proust: A Life
  • Thinking Like Your Editor: How to Write Great Serious Nonfiction and Get It Published
  • Bookmaking: Editing, Design, Production
  • In Search of History
  • HTML 5 and CSS3 (Visual QuickStart Guide)
  • Gabriel García Márquez: The Early Years
  • In Pursuit of the Common Good: Twenty-Five Years of Improving the World, One Bottle of Salad Dressing at a Time
  • Palimpsest
  • Don't Stop Believin': How Karaoke Conquered the World and Changed My Life
  • The Novel Writer's Toolkit: A Guide To Writing Novels And Getting Published

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
is an English-born writer and novelist who was editor-in-Chief of Simon & Schuster in New York City.
More about Michael Korda...