Start by marking “Garfield Weighs In (Garfield, #4)” as Want to Read:
Garfield Weighs In (Garfield, #4)

Garfield Weighs In

(Garfield #4)

The fourth book about America's sassiest, grouchiest, funniest, and chubbiest cat. Garfield ranks first in his weight class, celebrates his second birthday, falls in love, and loses a stripe!
Published August 27th 1999 by Ballantine Books (first published 1982)

Stephen
3.5 stars. Book four in the excellent Garfield series. I don't want to give away any spoilers here but in this collection, Garfield does not slim down, he does not befriend Odie or Nermal, does not resolve to be nicer to Jim and does not join a gym.
Josiah
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Changes in visual design to the characters aren't especially noticeable from the first comic strip of Garfield Weighs In (March 31, 1980) through the last (November 2), but a few storyline developments occur. Jon Arbuckle's romantic pursuit of Garfield's veterinarian, Liz, meets with modest success for the first time. Garfield's begrudging affection for Nermal the kitten morphs into a rivalry between them for Jon's attention. 1980 was a year of patterns being set in the Garfield universe, patter ...more
Jerry
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Of all the books I currently have in my collection, my Garfield compilations have been in my collection longer than any other. Most of the literature I got in elementary or middle school got traded in, sold at a garage sale, donated to the library, was used in a daycare, or was given to my niece and nephews...but, the Tubby Tabby's adventures have stayed, and, barring a serious calamity, I'll keep them for as long as I live.

However, sometimes, childhood favorites don't hold as much entertainment
Sarah Nessler
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garfield is always quite the pick-me-up. Jim Davis is quite talented, a picture is worth a thousand words!
Hannah Garden
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: october-2017, comics
Goodnight are these some dumb gags.
Megan Hines
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
1. In the fourth installment of his books, the lovable lump of orange fur starts dealing with the hard-hitting issues. garfield must face trials and tribulations like losing a stripe, his birthday, and many more! Will Garfield survive until his next birthday?

2. The Garfield comics by Jim Davis hold a special place in my heart as there is nothing quite like a grouchy, fat cat that hates Mondays. I feel that these comics are accessible to anyone at any age and they can find something enjoyable abo
Samuel
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I mean, it's a Garfield book, so it's more or less what you'd expect. My stepdaughter had it lying around, so I went ahead and read it. I didn't have a bad time while doing so, but it's not exactly comedic gold.
Dominic
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 is a more accurate rating.
Christine Rains
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love Garfield! Reading through all the books with my eight-year-old son who is a new fan.
Sheryl
Lucinda
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay, not as funny as I was hoping.
Kaelin Miller
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as much as the others I read. I enjoyed the antics and humor. I think Garfield is great for all kids and even adults. This comic book is a must-read if you love cats and comics.
Conan Tigard
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Garfield Weighs In is only the fourth book of Garfield comics. The book is packed with that crazy cat doing "mean things" to both Jon and Odie. Come on, you must admit that Garfield isn't a very nice cat. He is always smacking Jon around, shredding the furniture, kicking the dog, and rarely in a good mood. Makes you just want to go out and get a cat, doesn't it. On the other hand, he can occasionally be loving . . . but that is usually just him loving himself. Okay, can you tell that I like dogs ...more
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't ever remember laughing at Garfield. Reading it was like re-watching an episode of a sitcom you've already seen ten times and know all the plot threads and punchlines. There's a bland comfort to it and, for a stretch in early Middle School, bland comfort was preferable to none.

I consumed all the Garfield books in the Middle School library, idly wondering when something new would happen to shake up the Groundhog Day-esque loop in which they lived their lives, for a character to maybe grow
Mochizuki
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I think it is obvious that I love Garfield the cat. For a dog person such as myself, Garfield is the one cat that I would love to own (or maybe not).
I love it when Garfield mugs a girl scout for her cookies. Only Garfield would do something as silly as mugging a girl scout. Another classic moment in the book is when Jon attempts to train Garfield to be an attack cat but fails miserably. And of course there is the visit to Dr. Liz's office and the constant putdowns Jon gets from Liz. Garfield ne
Kenny
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Who doesn't like Garfield. That fat trouble maker, with is dry sense of humor. I don't think I've read a Garfield comic with just laughing a little. I wonder how many Garfield comics he has made in all? Garfield looks have changed over the years, but he always kept that fatness about him.

Garfield should always get at least a four star rating. Jim Davis can get to a punchline in 2 or 3 panels. Sometimes its not really what the people are saying in the text boxes but its the pictures and vice vers
Kaylah Hassard
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-1-12
Summary:
Most everybody knows the story of Garfield. He is a silly cat who is horribly mean to his owner and dog friend Odie. And yet for some reason we still find ourselves holding a little place in our heart for him. Garfield is a character in this graphic novel, that goes through many hardships, like waking up on Mondays, trying to decide what to eat, and how to entertain his master. Garfield is a fat orange cat that likes to make mischief in his life and entertainment for us to read.

Warnings:
Tanner
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a lazy fat cat named Garfield. Garfield loves lasagna and making John go cazy. John is a guy looking for love. Garfield loves to hurt Oldie. Oldie is a dog with yellow fur with black spots. Garfield loves watching TV on his chair. Garfield is super over weight and John really wants his to go on a diet. He went a diet though a straw and apples.
HeavyReader
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I loved Garfield when I was in middle school. I had several of these collections, and I read them all again and again.

I'm giving three stars based on the way I felt about the book when I read it the first time (or should I say the first 10 to 15 times?). Now I can't imagine reading any one of these books one time.

I can barely believe how many of these collections exist.
Jack23
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st-term-reading
Garfeild weighs in is a great book about a very overweight cat that hates mondays and loves lasagna. Garfeilds owner John is a lonely man who has crazy ugly suites. Every monday when Garfeild gets up something bad happens to him, example a pie hits him in the face or he physicly cant get out of bed.
Cassandra Lindquist
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Garfield has always been a favorite character of mine growing up. We always had cats so I think that made me enjoy it even more. I think he is very funny and I love how when I was younger they made a movie about his experiences. I think this is great and I like the illustrations!
Matt Keefe
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read Garfield comics countless times and they never get old. It is a perfect thing to read when you are bored and have nothing to do. Out of all American comics, I think that Garfield is probably the best. I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of age.
Katiem
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Unlike "Garfield at Large" I didn't read this book as a child, therefor the nostalgia wasn't there for me and I didn't find it nearly as humorous. I do like Nermal though. Don't really get the Garfield hype (of days of yore, no one talks about Garfield anymore).
Kellie
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor-comics
Garfield is my favorite fat cat -- We even share lasagna as a favorite food, think diets are Die with a t at the end, hate Mondays and Mornings - Garfield got me through my struggles with learning to read as a kid and I still read him everyday. For a time I even had a female Garfield share my life.
Nov 29, 2016 marked it as to-read
i did not read this books i though we get to read it in here so i was wrong sigh*
Linda
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
With each book that I complete, Garfield gets funnier and more ridiculous. Retreading this series has made me appreciate this comic strip even more.
Kevin Capell
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In this book Garfield gains weight because hes eating more that ever
Jasper
Feb 24, 2016 added it
There are different subjects to the comic strips like the christmas ones or the TV ones and when Garfield Weighs in it was sooooooo funny
Michael
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My all time favorite Garfield book
Jeff Tapia
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this book is cool and delicious

• Come Closer, Roger, There's a Mosquito on Your Nose
  • Hound of The Far Side
  • Good Ol' Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #3)
  • Alternative Zits (Zits Treasury, #6)
  • Baby Blues 08: One More and We're Outnumbered!
  • Nemi - Vol. 2 (Nemi, #2)
  • Dogbert's Clues for the Clueless (Dilbert #3)
James Robert "Jim" Davis is an American cartoonist who created the popular comic strip Garfield. Other comics that he has worked on are Tumbleweeds, Gnorm Gnat, Slapstick, and a strip about Mr. Potato Head.

Jim Davis was born in Fairmount, Indiana, near Marion, where he grew up on a small farm with his father James William Davis, mother Anna Catherine (Carter) Davis, brother Dave, and 25 cats. Davi

Garfield (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Garfield at Large: His First Book (Garfield, #1)
  • Garfield Gains Weight (Garfield, #2)
  • Garfield Bigger Than Life (Garfield, #3)
  • Garfield Takes the Cake (Garfield, #5)
  • Garfield Eats His Heart Out (Garfield, #6)
  • Garfield Sits around the House (Garfield, #7)
  • Garfield Tips the Scales (Garfield, #8)
  • Garfield Loses His Feet (Garfield Classics #9)
  • Garfield Makes It Big (Garfield, #10)
  • Garfield Rolls On (Garfield Classics, #11)
“It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.” 2 likes